In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Vermont Castings 2550 Encore pre 2005 wood burner

Discussion in 'Non-EPA Woodstoves and Fireplaces' started by Stonefeather, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Stonefeather

Stonefeather

So I purchased a home that came with a pre 2005 VC Encore in a sand color. Worked great for the past 15 years by taking care and not abusing it. Recently I have noticed wood burning faster and subsequent over firing which caused a crack in the lower fireback. Going to be replacing gaskets and a general rebuild soon. Trying to gather more info (novice) before I commit to parts and $. So I'm hoping some of you more experienced users can lend some sage wisdom to this newbie. Lol

Replacing the lower fireback seems pretty straightforward after much reading. What concerns me is a problem I'm having with the upper fireback. The handle on the side slips as I try to open and close the damper. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. (this is the left hand side, NOT the air flow handle on the right hand side as you are facing the wood burner) Any feedback on how to tighten this up on the rod that runs through the rear of the upper fireback/damper?

Any ideas on how to gain access to the upper fireback?

How do I avoid snapping those old bolts when trying to remove the upper fireback?

fishingpol, Horkn and wildwest like this.
  2. fishingpol

fishingpol

Welcome Stonefeather. I can only suggest using a penetrating spray like PB blaster on the rusted bolts. Spray and let it work itself in, even overnight. Heating a bolt up with a propane torch can cause it to expand slightly, breaking the rust grip. After cooling try removing. Light taps with a light hammer can also shock it loose.

I can't help much other than that, but a wish of good luck. Maybe search YouTube, you never know what is on there.

Oakman69 and Eckie like this.
  3. Oakman69

Oakman69

Thats a good idea

fishingpol likes this.
  4. wood and coal burner

wood and coal burner

Not sure if this helps but here is the manual for the Resolute III made from 83 to 88. I have one and it has the downdraft lever on the left that lengthens the flue path so the post combustion gases burn. As far as I can tell, since I have never had that part of the stove out, there is a small notch or catch so when I pop the stove in downdraft there is a noticable "bump" that keeps it from popping back up. It is a very small catch point indeed as heavy walking by the stove can cause it to fly back to the upright position.

Attached Files: