In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Venting Experiance Needed - is wind a problem?

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by Spock, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Spock

Spock

Some of you may recall that my last install was a vertical right through the roof. It looked great and more traditional but was harder to clean and much more expensive. This time around I was thinking of going through the wall to negate some expense and ease my cleaning routine. My concern is that I can get a good wind off the field at times and that the wind will blow directly into the venting. Something I did not worry about with the vertical install. Is it a non issue or something I need to address?

ivanhoe, wildwest, ttdberg and 2 others like this.
  2. 343amc

343amc

I've noticed minor issues when a strong wind is coming at the exhaust vent. Mine exits on the east side of the house, and it's rare that we get an east wind in the winter, but when we do, Mother Nature doesn't mess around.

I have a bit of adjustment on the 90 on top of my exhaust vent, so if it's blowing from the NE I can pivot the exhaust to keep it as much out of the wind as possible. I've had to disconnect the OAK a couple times when the wind really picks up.

Attached Files:

gbreda, CleanFire, ivanhoe and 5 others like this.
  3. imacman

imacman

As 343 mentioned, it can be an issue depending on which side you plan to do the exhaust on. The prevailing winds in your area could produce high pressure, and try to blow exhaust back up the pipe.

BTW, are you going to OAK the stove?

4. Spock

Spock

Not sure what mother nature has in store for me yet but the vent would be facing west. I was thinking about the possibility of putting a wall of cinder blocks some distance away from the business end of the exhaust to negate the breath of nature.

ivanhoe, imacman and wildwest like this.
  5. Spock

Spock

It's built into the wall kit. Concerned about that too.

6. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Ours is vertical through the roof, I like the peace of mind. And, it's a pia to clean. Oak draws from a protected area, not air tight, but no snowdrifts.....

ivanhoe, Spock and imacman like this.
  7. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

I vented in a high wind area. Cross winds suck the air out of the oak. I can hear the vac switch open when the wind blows.

For a test I installed a 90 degree and it didn't work. So I am still tinkering!! I need to add a tin wind break over the oak.

gbreda, ivanhoe, Spock and 1 other person like this.
  8. mithesaint

mithesaint

My vents are on the south side of the house. Prevailing winds are in the southwest. The CPM is vented in a traditional "out and up" manner, and wind has never been a problem. My SCF 050 is in the basement, and is vented in the "up and out" manner. I've had the SCF shut down on me a few times because the vacuum switch was unhappy with the amount of wind pushing back against the exhaust. It would have been exceedingly annoying if the SCF was the only source of heat, because I never noticed till the house started to cool off, but each time that it happened both the stove and the furnace were running because the weather was terrible. The SCF had been off for hours and was cold, with a vacuum light flashing at me. Doh!:heidi:

ivanhoe, wildwest and Spock like this.
  9. Spock

Spock

I am still considering a vertical. However the gambrel roof could make things challenging(?) for both install and cleaning.

10. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Listen to the others on here, did not mean to mislead you, no expert here, been burning a pellet stove 1 year now. Hubby though, happens to be a roofer and said depending on where your pipe exits the gambel roof can make both install/cleaning challenging. He thinks closer to the ridge would be easier.......

ivanhoe and Spock like this.
  11. Spock

Spock

Its all good. Just mentioning I had a vertcal and I liked how it looked so keeping the option open. I think your hubby is right and I really don't feel like climbing up a latter to a access steep pitch roof. Not getting any younger either :pain:

12. savemoney

savemoney

Mine is located near the inner corner of an L. I have a solar addition that makes that wall. So the wind isn't an issue. Shrubs, fencing, trellis, anything that interferes with the wind will help the draft issue. Only twice have I had to get the snow moved away. I could go up a couple more feet and eliminate that issue if needed. Planting hedges and such will do a lot for drifting snow issues.

13. CleanFire

CleanFire

An alternative may be using some aluminum flat stock, secured and extended -> beyond the exhaust outlet, with hardware cloth / screening mounted to it, to create a wind shield. Or a 3/4 screen ball. Whatever works..

The Northwest corner of our house gets a lot of wind, we were considering adding a stove to the mudroom / that corner, too much wind pressure: only way we could do it would be to go up -> & over the roof line with venting, to match the fireplace chimney on the south side of the house here.

SKEETER McCLUSKEY and Spock like this.
  14. bogieb

bogieb

My main floor stove exhaust is on the north side of the house, same way the wind blows from usually. I had a 90* hood (pointed down) on my exhaust last year and that was okay. this year I am trying a 45* elbow". but will change it back if I need to.

The OAK has a small metal plate that partially protects it from the wind, although with the Hastings I could tell when the wind was really howling. I'll have to see how the P43 reacts.

For the P61A (basement dweller so exhaust is only about 2' off the ground), which is also on the north side of the house, I haven't had issues with wind for either exhaust or OAK. The exhaust is straight out with a cone end (jet cap I think it is called), and the OAK does not have any wind screen. However, once the snow starts getting serious, a natural wind break occurs from the snow coming off the edge of the roof and piling up. Last year the berm became so tall and wide that I dug it down and back to allow the exhaust room to escape instead of going up the side of the house 9it was probably fine, I just needed an excuse for exercise).

SKEETER McCLUSKEY, Spock and wildwest like this.
  15. will711

will711

My 2 cents that's the way I would go ,it's what I did EZ to clean I don't really have a wind issue the end cap can rotate from left to right mine is pointed away from the wind .

IMG_0669.jpg

IMG_0671.jpg

IMG_0670.jpg

IHATEPROPANE, gbreda, bogieb and 4 others like this.
  16. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

I had a problem with my Enerzone because it was mounted horizontally (3' up and 2' out). and the wind shut it down a few times. I added a 45° to the end of the horizontal last year and it was enough to not have a single problem.

17. Lousyweather

Lousyweather

looks good, and I dont know if you'd ever have an issue with it, but birds tend to see those round dark holes as homes in the off-burning months and can actually try to inhabit your pipe...a few years ago, we had a call from a guy who's stove wouldn't feed. We pulled the combustion blower cover in the stove, and pulled out six dead sparrows clogging the exhaust....apparently they followed the pipe in to the combustion blower, but couldn't turn around and expired there. I guess I would suggest considering a fairly open spark arrester (1/2" squares?), or covering the exhaust in the off-months...if you do use an arrestor, just make sure you give it a periodic cleaning...they can plug

18. bogieb

bogieb

Good advice although I plug the outside with newspaper anyway, so nothing is coming in (like those huge yellow garden spiders).

wildwest and Lousyweather like this.
  19. Lousyweather

Lousyweather

good way to handle it...I use a Doritos bag......hard to forget that's on there!

20. will711

will711

My first season a house wren started building a nest in there I could see a bunch of little sticks poking out the end ,gave it a good cleaning in the fallno problems .next off season I put a bucket over the top ,put up some bird houses which they do use :thumbs:

savemoney, IHATEPROPANE and wildwest like this.