In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

valve: fix or replace

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Lancerhaymarket, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Lancerhaymarket

Lancerhaymarket

I have a 2017 Cub Cadet 25 ton log splitter. The control valve has become so sluggish I can no longer use it. it first started with a loose screw holding the detent cover, which cause a fluid leak. I took it off, got the O ring back in place, and it seemed to be working fine for a few months. No obvious leaks but again, so sluggish it can't be used.

$224 to replace entire valve. Does anyone have suggestions for why it is behaving this way and how I might be able to fix it? other valves seem to be rebuildable - this one does not.

thanks

2. Bret Hart

Bret Hart

Any pics of the valve?

If you can't get what you have fixed try surplus center. Likely a better price for the valve.

M2theB, metalcuttr and Screwloose like this.
  3. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

Have you tried searching for the valve with a part number?

I did a search for the following and found valves from $200 down to $60... worth a try if you can get something that fits...
    “Cub Cadet Log Splitter Valve 918-04740”

4. Lancerhaymarket

Lancerhaymarket

here is the valve.

Attached Files:

M2theB and Screwloose like this.
  5. Lancerhaymarket

Lancerhaymarket

I did a lot of searching online, and was not fully confident that the ports on the Nortrac valve (Northern Tools $73) would be compatible. I did not want to deal with adaptors or switching the valve around as I had read. I could not find any customer reviews that stated whether these cheaper valves would work with the cub cadet. The EnergyMfg valve looks identical, but when I called them they scared me away.

6. Nixon

Nixon

7. Screwloose

Screwloose

Take it apart and look, got nothing to lose plus they are simple to work on. Are you sure that it's the valve itself ? Collapsed suction line, internal screen/ filter issues, broken or loose relief valve spring, low or foamy fluid,pump kaput....lots of choices.

Nixon, brenndatomu, M2theB and 4 others like this.
  8. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

Can you further define what you mean by “sluggish”? Is the lever harder to move? Does the ram move slower? Does it not auto return like it is supposed to? I have the same splitter from 2014 with the Honda 160 engine.. wondering if it could be a clogged filter or something with the hydraulic pump or one of the numerous other things Screwloose pointed out...

9. SKEETER McCLUSKEY

SKEETER McCLUSKEY

:rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:

10. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

I would suspect plugged screen/filter, bad pump, plugged/bad valve or bad hose (if the hoses show no visible problems) in that order. Maybe the valve before the pump since you are already having problems with it. Since you are going to have to open your system to repair or replace the valve, why not use this opportunity to check screens and/or filter first?

Screwloose, Nixon and stuckinthemuck like this.
  11. Slocum

Slocum

X2.

metalcuttr and stuckinthemuck like this.