In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

UTVs / Side-by-Sides?

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Blstr88, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Blstr88

Blstr88

What do you guys run for side-by-sides? And how do you like them?

I've been thinking of getting either a Polaris Ranger or John Deere Gator...my best guess is it will be about 70% used for work around my property (toting tools/supplies here and there, gathering wood, etc), 25% ice fishing/hunting and maybe 5% cruising around on trails.

I like the price point of the Deere XUV560, seems to be around $8000 which is great, but I'm not sure if such a low HP/speed UTV will leave me wishing I had more?

Just wondering what other guys are using and how they work - specifically smaller (around 500cc) vs bigger (around 900cc) machines.

2. rottiman

rottiman

Check out the brand newly introduced Kubota. Work style with performance upgrade. UV400 for 2018

3. Fanatical1

Fanatical1

I've only owned two and both were Gators, so I'm not going to be of much help comparing brands.

What I can tell you is that I use mine all the time. I haul firewood, kids use it trail riding, it's used for carrying dirt and rocks on occasion. You name it and we're using it to haul something or another. With that said, I look for heavy duty, durability, payload, HP and a power dump. I regularly haul 1000 pound payloads up and down my hills.

Good luck with whatever you decide...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

4. VOLKEVIN

VOLKEVIN

X 2! I also have a John Deere Gator 825i (the bigger engine), and I have had it for 2.5 years. I am as happy now as the day I bought it. I have had it serviced once per year, just oil and preventive maintenance and the dealer says it looks great each time. I compared it at time of purchase with the Polaris which is also fantastic; but the John Deere dealership put a price package together that I couldn't say no to. Tax, everything out the door and the first service was $15,000. And I got a JD ball cap thrown in, too, lol. Polaris guys wouldn't come off the price at all- they' rather hold onto their unit in the showroom and look at it rather than sell it.
    From my experience, I have no reservations about recommending the Gator. 3 features that are must haves on it is: 4x4, power steering and the power dump bed.

5. concretegrazer

concretegrazer

I have an 850d gator & a 570 full size eps ranger. Run at least one twice a day everday.

There are some flaws with that series of gator which have been changed on the 825i. I haven't looked at the 560. Like the open belt drive. I like the park on the ranger opposed to the brake of the gator. I would like the shift pattern to be easier to hit reverse coming out of park though. I also don't care for the pickup style tailgates vs the one on the 850.

Speed: I doubt that will bother you to much. Still doesn't with me on the gator which maxes out at 20. If your going on the road much then it's nice.

Power: Are you going to pull anything with it? If so get the bigger motor. If not the 500 size will be plenty. I have never needed more power hauling around a load of wood or feed.

As VOLKEVIN said get the power dump & power steering. And the knobby tires are a worthy upgrade if you'll have it in the mud.

Just be sure that your comparing similar machines across brands. I wouldnt forget to look at kubota, honda, Yamaha, & Kawasaki as well if there handy. I have what i do not because there necessarily the best. But the dealers are close with good service & aren't going anywhere.

6. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

We've had a Yamaha Rhino since my wife saw one years back (spring of 2007 or 8) we've put almost 6700 miles on, the majority doing work on the 142 acres we have.

I think the Rhino's new version is the Yamaha Viking. I've never used any other brand so I can't help you on the other two but I'm sure they're good.

7. cwn877

cwn877

0118151017-2080x1170.jpg 0926151109-1-1312x953.jpg IMG_20170119_131932219-2672x2004.jpg
    I have owned 4 Polaris rangers and we still have all but one on the farm. The are pretty much bullet proof machines. I have worked for John Deere and the Gators are good machines too. I have tried just about all of them one the market but just seem to come back to the Polaris. My newest one is a 1000cc with power steering and electric dump bed and both options are worth the money. I will say the power and speed of the new one makes it harder to run the 500 and 570 older ones.

8. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Probably can't go wrong with any of your choices, I am a Rhino guy!! Never owned another UTV, have a couple Polaris atv's (not mine) in the barn that also seem indestructible!

20171022_103712.jpg

9. Unhdsm

Unhdsm

BF4D118E-69A4-4811-903A-700ADEFA51C9.jpeg Polaris Ranger 900xp.
    There are a couple issues with the 900xp that would keep me from buying another- weak reverse gear and turf mode failure. I haven’t any issues but have heard enough horror stories. To be fair- they have sold far more of these than anything else out there so there are bound to be some issues that come up. I would just look for a model that has stronger transaxle components. The Ranger highlifter edition, maybe the redesigned ‘18 Ranger with the new clutch, or I would look hard at the Honda Pioneer. I like how you can get the integrated (and safe) back seat in the bed of the Pioneer.
    The Ranger 570 seems like a safe bet too. I wouldn’t hesitate to run that motor. Nearly the same acceleration as the 900 with just a lower top speed and less stress in the driveline.

10. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

I have a Polaris 550xp quad that I use a few time per week for firewood hauling. It has been a great machine so far and I sometimes use it a little harder than I should. (see todays log arch video)
    We just traded our RZRs 800 for a RZR xp 1000 Turbo. Great so far but not really a work machine...
    I like our Polaris'

And
    Welcome to the club, Blstr88!

11. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Was the quad you were riding at the gtg the 550xp?? Beautiful machine, but looked bigger than a 550!

12. VOLKEVIN

VOLKEVIN

One more thing to think about is financing- just saw a commercial that John Deere is offering 0% for 72 months. Can't go wrong with an interest free loan. I'm sure the other companies will follow suit with similar offers, but that's the lowest interest for longest term I've seen.

13. concretegrazer

concretegrazer

14. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Not sure if they still make them, but my BIL has a Kawasaki Mule on his 120 acres and it will out work my Rhino everyday. But not much fun on trail rides!

leoht and Flatlander Pete like this.
  15. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Yes.
    The new tires give it a tougher appearance.

Attached Files:

16. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Luv it Tim, that ride is a beast!!

17. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

If I had to buy another I'd probably get the 850. But they look exactly the same.
    These are Polaris' full size quad.

leoht, Flatlander Pete and eatonpcat like this.
  18. Blstr88

Blstr88

Wow thanks for the replies, thats great. I didnt know JD is doing 0% for 72 months...thats definitely something I'll have to look into! That alone may be reason to go with a Gator.

19. Jack Straw

Jack Straw

My friend has a Polaris Ranger and the ride is incredibly smooth!

20. JustWood

JustWood Guest

My neighbor has the 4 seat Gator 900 utility 4x4
    He loves it
    I have a Grizzly ATV and don't even like riding it much anymore . I'd rather ride shotgun on the gator when we go camp hopping and drink a beer.