In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Users of Fiskars Isocore or Ochenskorf/Stihl Mauls

Discussion in 'Axes, Mauls, and Hand Saws' started by JW IN VA, Jan 8, 2020.

1. JW IN VA

JW IN VA

For those who have used the Isocore or Ox,are they really head and shoulders above the other eight pound mauls?

I know some of the cheaper mauls lack the right forging or grinding geometry but the Council Tool 8lb axe eye I have seems to do a good job for me.The only thing I've had problems with this year is some tough,green shellbark hickory aout 16" diameter which I've been splitting down the middle with a chain saw or using the hydraulic splitter.
    I'm really interested to know about your real experiences.I've got several 8lb mauls and wonder about the rationale of buying another but,if it's worth it,I might.
    I mostly cut my rounds to < 20 " length. Cut both green and dead wood.
    I tried a Fiskars Super Splitter on some Maple once but wasn't impressed.May have been the wood,being unfamiliar with it or expecting too much.I really need to try one again on some other wood before I dismiss it completely.
    I do have a 3 pt hitch Kelly wood splitter but I really like hand splitting if I can. Quieter,better exercise and a feeling of doing a good ,old time job. The Stihl rebrand looks interesting although it's head weight is a little lighter. 6.6 lb.,I think

2. Easy Livin' 3000

Easy Livin' 3000

I picked up the isocore after I wore out the epoxy in the eye of my 25 year old generic 8# maul (banging on it with the sledge). It is not a vast improvement, I'm not sure I like it better at all. I don't like the rubber on the handle, and it's rapid taper at the business end. I also don't love the shape at the end of the handle.

All that said, eventually the rubber on the handle will wear out, I'll get used to the shape of the handle, and it does split harder pieces than the x25 and 27.

I don't regret trying it, but if I ever get the handle back on the old generic, I might go back to it.

3. tamarack

tamarack

I love my x27, works great on the standing dead Doug fir and larch that I cut. I would like to try an isocore, I have a 8 pound Collins brand maul But only use it on green or very large rounds.

4. HolsatiaRedneck

HolsatiaRedneck

Bought the Oxhead a while ago, no regrets, went through 3 cords so far with it.
    Maple and oak, split most of it well, had a few uglies who got noodled into oblivion.
    I picked the version with the Hickory handle, overall a well made tool,
    spare parts can be bought for replacement - my wrists aint complaining either.
    I like it!

only got an older pic right now:

PC270177.JPG