In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Uncle Jed's Southern Hardwoods

Discussion in 'The Pellet Bag' started by Mr._Graybeard, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Mr._Graybeard

Mr._Graybeard

Hi gang, it's been awhile since I posted, altho I've been lurking on a regular basis.

I got a nice gift over the weekend -- a friend of a friend had a ton of wood pellets she wanted out of her garage. I gave her a bottle of vino in appreciation ...

At first I thought I had really struck gold with some Uncle Jed's Cold Remedy softies, which I believe are rebagged LaCretes. Upon closer inspection, though, I found that they're Jed's hardwood pellet.

I don't know anything about these, except that they look very close in color to Somersets -- maybe they're one-quarter shade darker on the extruded surface of the pellet.

I know some of you Wisconsin hoarders are up in Pellethead country. Have you got any inside dope on where Jed is getting these?

I plan to load the hopper with these guys later today -- will report on how they perform.

ivanhoe, Jay Z, Rich250 and 6 others like this.
  2. slvrblkk

slvrblkk

:popcorn:

ivanhoe, Rich250, ttdberg and 2 others like this.
  3. ttdberg

ttdberg Pellet Pig

4. imacman

imacman

Wait....it says softwood on the label, but they're really hardwood???

ivanhoe, slvrblkk and Rich250 like this.
  5. Rich250

Rich250

The hardwoods are supposed to be oak so I would expect them to be pretty decent.

ivanhoe, slvrblkk and imacman like this.
  6. Mr._Graybeard

Mr._Graybeard

No, the bags are clearly marked as hardwood pellets. But I'm so used to seeing the Jed's softwoods in my region, I just assumed that Uncle Jed's smiling visage printed on the front of the bag meant they were softwood pellets. I've never seen hardwood pellets in a bag from Uncle Jed's before.

For those unfamiliar, "Uncle" Jed Martin is a pellet stove and pellet fuel retailer in east-central Wisconsin. His Earth Sense Energy Systems is a big vendor up here, and he buys pellets by the carload and rebags them under his own label. The quality of his pellets is generally top-notch, so I'm happy to have a free ton of them, softwood or hardwood.

7. imacman

imacman

Member Krooser has burned them a lot in the past, although I'm not sure if they were hardwood or softies. Maybe he can chime in on a review.

Hey krooser

ivanhoe, Rich250 and slvrblkk like this.
  8. Mr._Graybeard

Mr._Graybeard

Yeah, they look like oak to me, and light enough to have come from a sawmill rather than a business feeding whole logs into the chipper. I wouldn't be surprised if they were rebagged Somersets -- I've got some Sets on hand, and they look nearly identical. The bag identifies them as Southern hardwoods, and I'd consider Kentucky part of the South.

ivanhoe, imacman, Rich250 and 2 others like this.
  9. ttdberg

ttdberg Pellet Pig

Possible they could be Turmans?

10. Douglas Middleton

Douglas Middleton

What a great idea..... I should have thought of doing that..........oh wait...!!

11. Mr._Graybeard

Mr._Graybeard

Could be ... or Henry County, maybe. Hamers? We normally don't see any of them up here. I have a mom-and-pop vendor of Somersets nearby ... otherwise it's Wisconsin pellets. This winter I burned 4 tons of Marth Hardwoods -- dusty and ashy, but cheap.

ivanhoe, Jay Z, imacman and 2 others like this.
  12. subsailor

subsailor

So did Smokeshow I believe.

ivanhoe, slvrblkk and Rich250 like this.
  13. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Marth IIRC.

But Jeds changes brands like many change bloomers................. Well once they get chitty anyway!!

14. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Many have IIRC........

NEWP was the first to bring bulk IIRC..........

ivanhoe, imacman and slvrblkk like this.
  15. Mr._Graybeard

Mr._Graybeard

Checking in after going through about a dozen bags of Uncle Jed's Southern Hardwoods. They burn very similarly to Somersets, although they don't leave quite as much carbon on the burnpot surface in my boiler as Sets do. I was burning Sets when I switched over to these, so I had a pretty good opportunity for comparison.

Ash as modest for a hardwood, especially the fly ash I'm used to seeing from Marth hardwoods. Jed claims less than 0.33% ash by weight, producing 8250 BTU’s per lb. All in all, a nice hardwood pellet. If I could get them for less than $200/ton I'd think about getting some more.