In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Turner bandsaw mill

Discussion in 'The Sawyer Room' started by PEIBenj, Apr 10, 2020.

1. PEIBenj

PEIBenj

New to the form... just thought I would say hi and post some pics from the sawmill I purchased last August. It is a Turner Mill from Bill Turner in upstate New York. We drove down and picked it up. I haven’t seen many pictures or comments on them on the internet but as of right now I couldn’t be more happy with it. Built like a tank. 30” max log diameter with a 21’6” max board length. 24 hp Honda that just purrs. Here are some pics from when I first got it.

2. PEIBenj

PEIBenj

Here is my initial set up to get started.

Attached Files:

3. PEIBenj

PEIBenj

New digs.

Attached Files:

4. PEIBenj

PEIBenj

Winter project...

Attached Files:

5. PEIBenj

PEIBenj

This thing feeds two addictions... building things and firewood. After a winter of milling I have promised myself to not mill anymore till this is cleaned up

Attached Files:

6. Erik B

Erik B

Welcome to the site PEIBenj You do know how to make an entrance.:thumbs::thumbs: Love the pics. Did you mill all of the lumber for your barn? We would love to see pics of your saws, stove, wood piles, any family helpers you have. :stack::quad::axe::saw:

7. Unclefish

Unclefish

Turner mill was my first.. Really did like it but at time I was cutting so much and building so much I went with woodmizer LT40 super hydraulic sold the Turner. I have to say for the money the thing is awsome and if you are going to cut smaller trees like red cedar it was easier. Good luck with it.
    During this pandemic I actually been up at the farm cutting up red cedar and repairing my walkway out to my dock. And building some new racks to stack my wood here at the house.

8. PEIBenj

PEIBenj

Well, I mentioned two addictions.... forgot that other one. Wood stoves. I have five currently in my house. Yes. That is not a typo. “Hello, I am PEIBenj and I have a problem.” Don’t worry, only two of them are hooked up. I am running a Blaze King King Ultra in my basement, and a Pacific Energy Super 27 in the main floor living room. Love them both!

9. PEIBenj

PEIBenj

Attached Files:

10. PEIBenj

PEIBenj

All the lumber for the barn has come off the mill. Besides fuel and blades and not counting my time, my cost on the barn has been about $150. Two boxes of hand nails. Couldn’t be happier with it!

11. PEIBenj

PEIBenj

Metal for the roof we took off an old barn that had collapsed a few years back. It was still in good shape. Was a really good find!

12. Chaz

Chaz

Welcome aboard PEIBenj
    :cheers:

Love that barn/shop

Look forward to more milling stuff from ya
    :saw:

13. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

Wow , I am impressed.o_O

Welcome to the FHC , PEIBenj

14. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

Welcome aboard PEIBenj . Love the saw shed and barn. Looks like you have an able machine! Lots of good firewood in that drop off from the saw!

Woodsnwoods, Chazsbetterhalf and Chaz like this.
  15. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

Welcome nice buildings that would have been a lot of sawing on a manual mill i used a couple of manual mills before I bought my hydraulic the log handling speeds up the process a good amount and a lot easier on the back :yes:

16. PEIBenj

PEIBenj

I have just rolled over 100 hrs on the mill. I mainly purchased it to get my own lumber with maybe some custom cutting on the side. Couldn’t justify the extra cost of hydraulics at this point. Figured if the milling really took off I could upgrade down the road...

17. PEIBenj

PEIBenj

18. JWinIndiana

JWinIndiana

That looks like a wonderful area to mill logs in. At the end of the log where you are standing when taking the picture, a guy that I used to help always had a big mirror standing at that end of his mill so he could see both sides of the cut. How do you transition from your log stack to the mill?
    Welcome and yes, what an entry!

Steve, Woodsnwoods, JB Sawman and 4 others like this.
  19. PEIBenj

PEIBenj

I have two 4x4’s which bridge the gap. I need to replace the two metal guard rails which i used for the log deck as they have not been able to hold as much weight as I would like.

20. PEIBenj

PEIBenj

We milled all the lumber for the barn. I pretty much have milled as I needed it. One day of milling... day or two of framing... so forth and so on.