In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

TSC Private label pellets?

Discussion in 'The Pellet Bag' started by imacman, Nov 22, 2013.

1. imacman

imacman

A neighbor just called me. He is going to install a pellet stove in his new house upstate, and has been asking me about pellets. He called me today and said he bought a ton from TSC, but didn't know the brand.

It turns out, the store manager said they were TSC brand, but were re-bagged Lignetics 100% hardwood. My friend got them for $209/ton.

Anyone hear about this? I didn't know Lignetics re-bagged anything. I asked him to swap a few bags with me, so if I get any I'll take pics of the bag & UPC code & post them.

2. slvrblkk

slvrblkk

Yes....we need the UPC code for sure! Never heard of Ligs bagging those....

3. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

I heard roughly 5 mills bagging them. We know 2(MWP-Energex/Premier) and the other 3 are rumored to be Hamers Lignetics and possibly NEWP. We'll know more once we find the UPC data.

4. savemoney

savemoney

That is a big assortment. But to a TSC employee, a pellet, is just that, a pellet. All the same to them. That price is good. Now if I had one of those Cadillac bottom feeder stoves, it wouldn't matter much. But I don't and my stove is picky.

5. ironpony

ironpony

according to the manager here, who I deal with regularly, said TSC is having them rebagged by local mills that meet their spec.
    Supposedly around here, Lancaster Ohio, AWF will be the supplier.

6. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

That's what I heard too, I got my tip from someone who works at the mill. AKA straight from the horse. Supposed to reduce shipping costs. So the mill should be local or as close as possible to you. He also said you could still see some from other mills if supply from the closest mill is low. It will be interesting to see which mills and how many are actually doing this. Rumor was 5 mills, But more could have been lured in.

savemoney, We'll know which mill by the UPC code. All but the Canadian mills UPC code has been spot on.

On another note, We should start a list on the Canadian mills UPC codes(in another thread). In case they start bagging for them. The Prefix part of the code(first 6 numbers) is the company code and should be consistent with the named branded bags.

savemoney likes this.
  7. subsailor

subsailor

Save$, the TSC in Augusta is carrying MWP rebagged pellets according to an employee. I also saw some MWP labeled pellets at the local Paris Farmers Union wrapped in the same pink shrink wrap that they used on the TSC pellets.

savemoney likes this.
  8. imacman

imacman

Well, curiosity got the best of me, so I called the TSC closest to me. They just got in a BIG load of pellets, and (without me even asking), the salesperson said that their TSC brand pellets were re-bagged Lignetics. Confirmed the $209/ton price.

It's a nasty day here, so I'll take a ride over and grab 10-15 bags to add to the stash.

Pics and barcodes to follow. :drool:

PS She also said they had Green Supreme.......I said "NO THANK YOU!!" :eek:

slvrblkk likes this.
  9. Gasifier

Gasifier

When you guys say AWF. Is that American Wood something or other? I saw a bag of something like that at our Tractor Supply but did not have time to study the bag. Was in a hurry. I did see Curran's Massena address on them. They were a blend according to TSC employee. $218/ton at that time.

10. slvrblkk

slvrblkk

American Wood Fibers.......Gas, regular AWF's are hardwood blend but also have a "ultra premium" pine pellet. I believe the regular AWF's typically are a decent pellet. Don't really know anyone that's burned the pine version though.

11. imacman

imacman

Well, here you go people. I'm starting to have my doubts about the whole "lignetics" re-bagging for TSC after seeing the pellets themselves. Unless someone has a bag of this years Hardwood Ligs to compare, they look nothing like the ones I have from a couple of years ago.

Yeah, I know, pellets change from year to year, but I'm skeptical right now. I do remember someone on the "other forum" posting pics last year of the TSC pellets they had then, but I can't go look there anymore :whistle: Jay, maybe you have something?

I also plan to shoot an email to both TSC corporate and Lignetics to try to get confirmation one way or the other.

Oh, the real Ligs are on the left in the pic.

Attached Files:

slvrblkk likes this.
  12. slvrblkk

slvrblkk

Good job imacman!....can't believe it, the UPC, in fact, came back as produced by Ligs.....

lig.jpg

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
    jtakeman, IHATEPROPANE and imacman like this.
  13. slvrblkk

slvrblkk

My Ligs that I have and reviewed looks like yours.....the ones on the right, sort of, look like the older (year before last) PTL's......I think Dex has some of the dark PTL's on hand...

This seasons Ligs.....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  14. imacman

imacman

Nice job Slvrblkk....one mystery solved

15. slvrblkk

slvrblkk

You gonna burn these soon? I'm curious to see what you think of them.

16. IHATEPROPANE

IHATEPROPANE

Was the Curran Messena address on the American Wood Fibers bag?

The AWF I bought from Tractor Supply were very good

17. imacman

imacman

Along with the 15 bags i bought, they had a partial bag that ripped and they taped it up....still 3/4 full, so I got that for $2.00 ....I'll be dumping that in tonight or in the morning.

slvrblkk likes this.
  18. imacman

imacman

The bag Gas was talking about may have said "Amer. Wood Products"....different from AWF.

19. IHATEPROPANE

IHATEPROPANE

Ah....makes sense....the AWF were better than the usual Curran offerings

20. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

Yep. Those dark ones are just like my PTL.

I would buy another 5 ton tomorrow if I could find them.

imacman likes this.