In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

TSC pellets - Eastern Shore Forest Products, Inc

Discussion in 'The Pellet Bag' started by DobieMom, Oct 27, 2021.

1. DobieMom

DobieMom

Fines from hell, disheartening to say the least. This is out of just the ONE bag I sifted. I will say the heat output is decent, the ash so far isn't terrible and knock on wood - no clinkers. Forgot to get a pic of the pellets but the sizing is all over the place. I only bought 2 bags to give them a try. I didn't notice when I picked them up but they are a hardwood 'blend'.

Attached Files:

jtakeman and Cash Larue like this.
  2. bogieb

bogieb

That looks like there was moisture involved.

The TSC white bags with blue lettering always just say Hardwood blend. Doesn't mean much really. The MWP's that are in my bags are a HW/SW blend (since Maine Wood Pellets doesn't make a plain HW.

Cash Larue and DobieMom like this.
  3. DobieMom

DobieMom

Don't have pics but my neck of the woods TSC has usually carried bags that have just said "Hardwood Pellet" on them. I believe when Lignetics was bagging for them, it didn't say 'blend'. I have heard this company seldom has a day pass without some kind of mechanical issue there. I still have one unopened bag and MAY try another bag down the road. They're right across town from me. If they keep turning out this kind of crappy stuff I'll go visit and take them a 'sample' :)

Cash Larue and bogieb like this.
  4. MtDew

MtDew

I got the same pellets from my TSC. They seem to be burning OK. I did find a few bags that had some slight moisture damage. I have burned about 6-8 bags so far out of the 2 Ton I purchased. I haven't noticed anymore fines that other brands that I have used over the years. Maybe wait and grab a few bags from a different pallet at the store and see if it was just an isolated issue with the fines.

Cash Larue, bogieb and DobieMom like this.
  5. DobieMom

DobieMom

Since I like the heat output from them I do plan on trying a few more bags to see if it's still as bad. The second bag I got was as bad as the first but like you said - from the same pallet. Our TSC is doing a major remodel...I hope it brings the pellets under cover. I check bags for dryness before I get them. Very sad for folks not knowing any better getting Power Pellets from Lowe's...I saw them sitting out in the garden area and under the wrap you could see all the moisture built up :(

Cash Larue and bogieb like this.
  6. MtDew

MtDew

My TSC stores all pellets inside along with the different animal feeds. The only issues I had there was some damaged bags at the bottom of the ton. Forklift driver hit some bags with the fork. They were good about replacing what was damaged.

Cash Larue, DobieMom and bogieb like this.
  7. DobieMom

DobieMom

Went back and got a few more bags...same issue - almost a cup of fines PER BAG and these are quite 'dusty' as well. Sad because the heat from them is nice. This time I also got clinkers, didn't on the first 2 bags.

8. MtDew

MtDew

Well you just have to weigh the price against the fines and dust. They aren't the best pellets I've ever used but I'm willing to accept the fines and a little dust. I can't justify $300 per ton pellets

bogieb likes this.
  9. bogieb

bogieb

That is how I feel. I look more at the value - I can put in a little extra work to save $50-100/month (or more - jeeze some of that stuff goes for way over $300). Course I got cats and birds, so what's a little more dust added to the dander, fur and feathers? And I'm continually doing projects that kick out their own fair bit of dust. My stoves have big ash pans, so can tolerate more ash from burning. Being in a small house, I don't need pellets to put out huge heat, but I do need them to put out decent heat without being fast burning.

10. GHinNH

GHinNH

It might have a lot to do with the way they are handled. The people in the store don't care or probably know (as if that would stop them anyway) not to throw them around. I watched one rather round female employee at TSC literally throw them to avoid taking a couple steps and bend over.

Even worse is fall when they drag out last years leftover wet, manhandled and taped bags. I went and picked up 20 bags before I got the regulars delivered and the whole skid was a mess. I picked through nearly a full ton to get 20 semi-decent looking bags and they were still all fines.