In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Tree Grafting

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by Eric Wanderweg, Oct 8, 2021.

1. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

Who here has done it and had some success? I recently found out about the process and want to try it myself this upcoming spring. The tree I had in mind is a young ornamental cherry that’s in my front yard. If I can get some scion wood from a couple donor trees (I’m thinking both a wild black cherry and a commercial type sweet cherry) that would be a good place to start. Thoughts/opinions appreciated. Thanks :handshake:

Ron T, JimBear, wildwest and 3 others like this.
  2. JackHammer

JackHammer

Not grafting exactly but take a look at a process called air-layering. They do it a lot with bonsai. You put moss and saran wrap around a cut and it will grow roots way up in the branches. Some trees work better than others.
    You can get this stuff called cut paste to seal tree wounds. Also for bonsai and very expensive. Duct sealer is much less expensive at 2.50 a pound and then you can seal your ducts too.
    For grafting, I have seen fresh shoots drilled through a root stock which is cool. Or just attach the cutting to a v or knotch cut. Then wrap with cut paste, a rubber band or maybe a temporary zip tie.
    They make grafting scissors too. They might be overkill for just a few trees.
    Some trees will grow from an 8in cutting. Willow is great at this.

Ron T, JimBear, wildwest and 2 others like this.
  3. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

Today was the day. I grafted two different wild cherry varieties onto this ornamental cherry in my front yard. One small black cherry branch, and slightly larger pin cherry branch. I’m debating doing a couple more grafts in case one or two don’t take. Fingers crossed.

Black cherry:

D40E0F96-5F86-49CE-885F-34FA4593E78F.jpeg

Pin cherry:

0B64ED92-A1F7-417D-B421-6A603DBB410E.jpeg

Ron T, JimBear, JackHammer and 2 others like this.
  4. Camber

Camber

I've grafted mostly apples. I had mixed results. What I can remember was that the only thing that worked well for me, is to use tender young shoots. Everything else was hit or miss.

5. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Cool Eric, and :popcorn:

Ron T, Camber and Eric Wanderweg like this.
  6. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

We have a pie cherry tree in the back yard. The neighbor has a Bing or Royal Ann can't remember which. Some years ago I got an itch to graft the neighbors tree to mine. I read up on all the grafting techniques and grafted several sprigs to my tree. Most just died but a couple actually budded up and tried to leaf before giving up. Eric Wanderweg sure hope yours work out!

7. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

Well I feel like a complete moron. :picard:
    The tree started budding, but none of the grafts did. I checked on one of the trees I took the scion wood from and it was budding. C'mon man, 100% failure rate?!?! I spent more time digging online. Accidentally came across pictures of CRABAPPLE trees. S.O.B. THAT'S WHAT I HAVE. Pretty sure it's the "prairie fire" variety. Fruit looked just like maraschino cherries. Leaves oval with fine serrations like many ornamental cherries. Bark looked close enough too. Nope, completely botched this one up :headbang: I just took a couple cuttings from a known apple tree in the woods from work. Hopefully I can get at least one scion to take and salvage the experiment before it's too late.

bogieb, eatonpcat and MikeInMa like this.
  8. bogieb

bogieb

So sorry, but this is :rofl: :lol:. Good luck with your next trial.

9. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

I have a crab cherry tree, maybe I could send you some grafting stock?:D

Eric Wanderweg likes this.
  10. JimBear

JimBear

So you were try to make a Chapple tree ?

Eric Wanderweg and bogieb like this.
  11. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

I was trying to make a fruit cocktail tree. I knew I should’ve quit once the pineapple graft failed :)

12. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

OK,.... this is funny!:D You may have used the pineapple that goes in upside down cakes. Those must be grafted to the roots!