In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Tree farm A-frame getting a new bathroom.

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by Sourwood, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Sourwood

Sourwood

My brother has spent some time this winter doing some remodeling of the A frame my grandfather built himself in the early 60’s. As a retired forester (conservationists as they were called when he started) he looked for a wooded acreage to operate his own farm.

It had never been updated until my brother and I received it from our father (also a forester) in about 2005.

Bedroom and living room had updates over the years. 50 years old carpet replaced with laminate flooring, and repainted.

I don’t have a good photo of the bathroom in its previous state, but it had a sunken tub with a picture window at tub level, with woods for a view.

It will be replaced with a walk in tiled shower with a head level window as a nod to the history.

Ed noticed the dining floor was springy. Got into the crawl space and found three joist rotted away. The only thing holding the floor was the tongue in groove. He replaced that in a day and went on with the tear out.

We have a Memorial Weekend gathering each year. We are anxious to showit off. Will post some progress photos as it goes along.

Attached Files:

BCB, Thor, cnice_37 and 13 others like this.
  2. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Looking good so far:popcorn:

3. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

Beautiful shower!

4. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Very Nice!!

T.Jeff Veal, yooperdave and Sourwood like this.
  5. papadave

papadave

Uh....yeah. Labor of love.

6. Sourwood

Sourwood

F1FE1C5D-C244-4967-A300-C23633C9777A.png F0187A15-93EC-48A9-85E6-3A1DBF47417C.png To pass the time on a cold day, here are some photos of the living room remodel
    It is a one bedroom A Frame. Living and bedroom are on slab, and the back half that is bathroom, kitchen, dining and utility is on a crawl space to accommodate plumbing.

My brother and his work crew come do the work. He installs box culverts around the State, so getting them wrk between jobs keeps them from going someplace else.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    Thor, T.Jeff Veal, yooperdave and 6 others like this.
  7. Sourwood

Sourwood

EFCD472B-EEFB-47F0-9031-5203A2691601.png 76866670-597A-476F-B412-2E5356DFCBA8.png E21B8AD4-E154-474F-B19D-09D1EB2E0F9A.png A7F028E7-A557-4807-BB15-09CC6CF301B6.png D767E220-709F-41F5-9B93-53DE581CF666.png AB2C9C3E-70F9-43F3-B826-7230106F4B98.png Here are some of the bridge rebuilding project a few years ago. Granddad put this bridge in after the small one washed out enough that grandmother got on his backside.

It was a county road bridge from Kentucky. Four I beam. The deck rotted too much, so my brother.
    I could help him with some of these jobs, but the time he wanted to stay out in a thunderstorm to cut up a pine tree that had been down for years in a pasture, he got to listen to me tell him how stupid he is for about 100 miles in what had turned into an ice storm. Told him crack addicts had better sense.

Anyhow, here are some photos.

8. Sourwood

Sourwood

Update but no pics yet. My brother noticed that ALL the floor joists need replaced!

He and his crew are at it this week. Also doing some drainage work on the perimeter of the house. Unexpected expense, but so glad he noticed it now, and it is being repaired. my brother called me and said my half of expenses might get up to a thousand bucks. Materials are paid for out of out Trust. Complete floor support replacement? Yeah, i can go a grand.

9. yooperdave

yooperdave

Stumbled across this thread today; lots of work inside and out! The bridge must've been nice when done.

Bath/shower looks great with very nice tile!

I don't understand why there is a clear window in the shower though....? I know, I know, its more than high enough for privacy/discretion issues, but...….

A house I worked on in the mid 2000's was on the shore of a lake. Shower face lake with a 3" by 4" clear window in the shower! There was no hiding in that shower! As it turned out, right below that window is where I place the AC condenser. The day I installed it, the Mrs. ( a very fit ) let us know she would be in that shower while we were working. I told my partner that no matter what....resist the temptation/urge to look up into the window!

As it turns out, there was a guy "working" on his trolling motor on his boat right along the shoreline the whole time she was in the shower. As soon as the shower was finished, the boat took off! We had a good laugh about him and thought he was probably there every morning!

10. Sourwood

Sourwood

Yes, and she was probably showering at the same time each morning! Between not altering her schedule for workers and her friend in the boat, I can presume to why the window was installed at that place.

ours is in the middle of 200+ acres of hilly woods with a "mountain" as the locals call them that is the view. My dad told me that if anyone wants to work that hard to see the show- so be it.