In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Transfer switch for portable generator.

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by shack, Jul 6, 2019.

1. shack

shack

Hello out there...been away from here for months...too long...but, been getting a lot done around the homestead!

I hope you are all doing well and keeping each other honest :D

I want to put in a transfer switch to my 200 amp panel so I can connect my portable generator up safely and easily.

Not sure what I need to actually buy??? I would like to buy a kit that includes everything/most everything.

I have been trying to research this and learn about it, but there is a lot of conflicting information out there.

So, I figure I would tap into the knowledge here.

The only things I am sure about with this project: 1) it will cost some money 2) it will be a safe way to go 3) there will be beer when it's all done.

Thanks guys.

2. fuelrod

fuelrod

I have a portable generator and I have a 200 amp switch that isolates the sources from each other. That is in one position the power from the grid is connected to the house and the other source is NOT, in the other position, the other source (the generator) connects and the grid is isolated. Just a manual switch and nothing automatic, iirc the switch was about $400 and I have it installed adjacent to the meter. I have a BIG plug that a buddy had hanging around (I have a 30kw diesel gen.) but you could run a "pigtale" out of the switch to connect to your generator. I have no idea's about the automatic switches and have learned that the Generac brand uses all proprietary components and must be used if you have a Generac brand generator. What's your set up?

Chaz, Chazsbetterhalf and shack like this.
  3. shack

shack

...okay...forgot...

Generac 4000 XL, 7.8 hp

120/240 - 20 amp & 120 30 amp and a couple of regular 120 15 amp

Main things I want to run are submersible well pump 20 amp 2 pole breaker, refrigerator, a few lights.... 40 gallon electric hot water heater would be nice but not critical.

Saving up to buy a larger generator, but not a critical purchase at this point.

Thanks

Chaz and Chazsbetterhalf like this.
  4. shack

shack

[QUOTE=" I have no idea's about the automatic switches and have learned that the Generac brand uses all proprietary components and must be used if you have a Generac brand generator. What's your set up?[/QUOTE]

Manual switching is what I want. Generac, proprietary...hmm...pretty sure my next one won't be a Generac...was thinking this would be unversal...Ugh.

5. fuelrod

fuelrod

Is that a portable type with an assortment of outlet's?
    I think things can get complicated (expensive) quickly the more automatic you want. Circuits need to be isolated to limit your use and drive desired circuits. A manual situation for someone with some minor common sense could just power the panel and shut off all the breakers with the exception of what you mention, the basics.

6. shack

shack

I want simple and manual. My understanding is that I would just supply generator power to the circuts I want/need...that's all I intend to do.

7. fuelrod

fuelrod

Shack I'm not an electrician, but my set up is simple and may be the simple choice for you. I have more than enough generator to fully power the house and the meter is remote from the house by about 100'. This allowed me to put the x/fer switch right at the meter. That big generator is at my old place and we've been getting by on a genny smaller than yours @ only 3800 watts. We just limit the active circuits @ the panel similar to your needs, freezers,fridg and water. This set up was put in at the time of (new) construction and inspected by the power co. and locally.

8. shack

shack

Awesome...exactly what I want to do...now I need to figure out what I need and if a transfer switch can/is 'universal'

9. fuelrod

fuelrod

Mine is "universal" it simply performs a function. It's about 12" deep x 30" sq. with "knockouts" in various locations. Aluminum and weatherproof.
    I'll try to grab a pic.

Chaz, SKEETER McCLUSKEY and shack like this.
  10. shack

shack

Just ran into an old friend that has a rural place like me. He told me that he uses a Generator Interlock Switch...that it's easier, less expensive, allows the individual to decide which circuts to run.

Anyone familiar with Interlock Switches?

Highbeam and Chaz like this.
  11. fuelrod

fuelrod

Here's what I have.

Attached Files:

Chaz, shack and brenndatomu like this.
  12. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    Chaz likes this.
  13. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Geez, talk about overkill :rofl: :lol: that looks like the same plug we use for our 175,000 watt diesel genny at work! Spendy ifn you had to buy a new one :makeitrain"

Chaz and fuelrod like this.
  14. fuelrod

fuelrod

Iirc he said it was off the docks!
    It does look a little funny with a 4-6 wire running into it.

15. cnice_37

cnice_37

I have the same exact generator and use a transfer switch. They are universal. I think the "automatic" stuff becomes proprietary so doesn't apply for manual.

An interlock switch allows you to power everything or nothing. I didn't like this because if I'm not around I want my wife to be able to power the important stuff and not sweat what breakers to twiddle and yada yada yada. You also don't know when power comes back on as you have killed the main feed to the house. So pros and cons of everything, those were my cons for interlock switch.

So we have well, heat, and a few outlets like kitchen. That gets us through all our outages and the little gens sip gas.

16. shack

shack

Thank you.

I am kind of liking the Interlock a little more.

So my little generator has:

120/240 - 20 amp & 120 30 amp

Would it be okay (safe) to use a 30 amp Outdoor power inlet box? I ask this because I have been thinking about getting a little bigger generator down the road.

...if it's okay to use the 30 amp outdoor power inlet box It should run to a 20 amp 2 pole breaker, right? not a 30 amp breaker.

Chaz likes this.
  17. Ward Hoarder

Ward Hoarder

We have a inter lock switch and like it slot. Cheap and simple.

Attached Files:

18. shack

shack

Nice set up. What size generator do you have?

Chaz likes this.
  19. bushpilot

bushpilot

I have a different panel, but my setup is similar to yours. It works well, is simple, and is cheap.

20. wood and coal burner

wood and coal burner

I have my house set up a little differently. 200 amp service into the house and the back of the house is fed through a 100 amp sub panel. The sub panel feeds the detached garage. When I need the generator I throw a disconnect so the back of the house 100 amp sub panel is not connected to the 200 main. The generator sits behind the garage so I don't have to hear it. The back of the house is on generator and if the commercial power comes on the front of the house lights up and I know to shut down and disconnect the generator.