In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Traeger pellet smokers (post here)

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by StihlHead, Oct 6, 2013.

1. StihlHead

StihlHead

OK, here it is (again). Its a low number Traeger 'lil Texas grill, with several features that I have never seen on any other of these medium size grills. One being it has an expanded hopper so it can hold a full 20 pound bag of pellets. Another is that it has a metal channel for the probe wire that leads to the thermostat that runs along the top of the grill, and not at the side like the newer ones. It also has metal door stops at the top to hold the door open. It also came with the detachable front shelf.

traeger.jpg

It had a digital readout 185 degree F controller on it, but I replaced that with the 3 position controller because I smoke at low temps and the low and medium setting will both keep the smoker below 185 degrees. I smoke for about an hour on the grill and then finish meats off in the oven in the house. Basically they have found that smoke sticks to the meat mostly when it is cold, and once it heats up the smoke does not adhere any more. Note that the Traeger digital controller has the smoke temperature setting switch located behind the controller, whereas the OrTech digial controller has a dial on the front to control the smoke temperature setting. There is a debate between the two companies as to having the smoke switch to control low temperature settings by a timer, rather than temperature. Traeger is of the opinion that too low a setting will allow the firepot to go out and create the potential for a buildup unburned pellets and then if the starter is activated it will cause a flare-up. OrTech says phooey to that, and puts the smoke setting dial where it should be.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
    Chvymn99 likes this.
  2. StihlHead

StihlHead

And inside is a garlic infused pork butt smoking... it tastes just like melt in your mouth bacon. This was smoked with 100% apple competition grade pellets. Oh Scotty!

pork butt.jpg

3. swags

swags Moderator

Checking in with my Traeger, I have the Lil Tex too. Had this thing for 6-7 years now, has more then paid for itself. Mine had the three setting control on it when I bought it but it went bad last year and I changed to the thermostat setting. Really love cooking on this thing. My favorite is a small pig and turkey's. People think I am a master of smoked meats when eating this stuff. They are a little pricey but very much worth it. I always say it's easier then gas grillin and tastes better then charcoal. image.jpg

DexterDay, Chvymn99 and StihlHead like this.
  4. StihlHead

StihlHead

That's a very early model one like mine, with the metal door stops and the wood handle. It looks good for its age. Old ones here rust out a lot (biggest problem with them). They sure are easy to cook on. Smoked food is really good and really addictive.

DexterDay, Chvymn99 and swags like this.