In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Tractor FEL log Grapple Ideas

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by reprod, Feb 4, 2017.

1. reprod

reprod

I have been looking for ideas on a log grapple setup for the front of my tractor.
    I move around logs that are 12'-20' in length. I move the logs from decks to my trailer or sort them, etc. I now use my pallet forks spread to the widest setting. It works ok until I get one that tips sideways or just doesn't want to cooperate. You get the picture.
    There is a brand out there called "frostbite" that is pretty interesting, but wanted to know if there are brands/ideas out there that you guys are using or know about FrostBiteGrapple_005.jpg
    Thanks for any input!

2. mike bayerl

mike bayerl

That one looks great.

Woodsnwoods, blacksmith and reprod like this.
  3. 288lite

288lite

We also do the fork thing but this year we put one more fork in the middle and it made a big difference. A grapple is a little more forgiving if you aren't dead centered but we don't have the hydro on the loader so would be a bunch more to add it maybe one day. Let me know how you like it if you get one!

Woodsnwoods and reprod like this.
  4. Armbru84

Armbru84

Tomahawk is a brand I have seen around. There are places near me that will mod or make them however you want. I like the looks of that frostbite but it would be nice if the spread was wider for the length of logs you need to move.

Woodsnwoods and reprod like this.
  5. reprod

reprod

I agree on the width. Thanks for the info on Tomahawk.

Woodsnwoods likes this.
  6. Armbru84

Armbru84

Gasifier likes this.
  7. Armbru84

Armbru84

They have a lot of options too. I was looking at them for ideas before.

Woodsnwoods likes this.
  8. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

The frost bite grapple is the style grapple I would like to have for moving logs. I have a root grapple and I really like it but it is not ideal for moving logs. I pretty much have to roll the logs off the pile them pick them up. The frost bite grapple tines are thin enough they should go between the logs and let you pick them right up. I've also seen some log grapples that have forks that have been cut off and welded to the grapple frame. Here is one but it is a little over priced:rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:Skid Steer Log Grapple Attachment Industrial Series

Here is my root grapple in action

9. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

10. reprod

reprod

I have considered modifying my forklift with the
    I liked watching that video. I see what you mean about needing to roll logs around in order to grab them. Pretty slick way to move wood quick though. A lot nicer than my forks.

Lol... Yeah that eBay link is a bit pricey! I like that setup though.

94BULLITT likes this.
  11. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

Thanks about the video.

I think I like the tines on the ebay grapple and the lid on the Frost bite but I think the frost bite lid would pull the logs in. I don't like that frost bite uses bolts instead of pins at the pivot points.

There is also this style grapple. He is a member on here. sam-tip

12. concretegrazer

concretegrazer

A single bite grapple is probably best for logs. Trouble is there not to good for much else.

Woodsnwoods, Felter, Gasifier and 3 others like this.
  13. fuelrod

fuelrod

^^^ this & what Bullitt said. They are pretty cheap grapple wise, but they should be. A friend has one and they look like the struggle (to be polite) with an un-balanced load, his mounts have a twist in them to prove it. It is also possible to abuse any machine :whistle: no matter how it's built. These are not as wide as a set of forks spread out and if it were not for the closing top "tooth" would be almost like balancing a log on one fork!

Woodsnwoods, reprod, Gasifier and 2 others like this.
  14. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

I bet that dump trailer felt that one.... :confused: Ouch!

15. Gasifier

Gasifier

Has anyone tried a Wicked grapple?

Advertised as lighter, so it leaves you more of your lift capacity, but still strong. They have them in single lid or double, and different widths on both. I wonder if they are as strong as they need to be though. I guess it depends on what your doing and how you are going to treat it.

For Sale Root Grapples For Tractors

Not the first Grapple.

Woodsnwoods, reprod and 94BULLITT like this.
  16. JustWood

JustWood Guest

+100
    Those tines bent up make it useless as pallet forks.
    I have a Blue Diamond trash grapple with 5" tine spacing. Bought it mainly for trash loading and land clearing . Have found it works on a lot of material as a bucket if you don't mind a little spillage. Manure with hay/sawdust, mulch, spread and screen gravel at the same time, move compacted topsoil, remove sod, many other uses.

17. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

That is what mine is. It was one the first ones out thier door, maybe the first. My tractor will not hurt the grapple. I've pushed, lifted, and curled the loader all the same time getting stumps out and it did not hurt it. The grapple is made out if a high grade steal. I love the grapple. I know they are expensive but you don't have to worry about tearing it up. Check out my youtube for more videos of it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

18. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

94BULLITT OK great info.. what size is your tractor for reference? OK see lt 42 but (YouTube took a minute but which grapple is that.. as I got bota 50hp.. really want one

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  19. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

It is a L4240 with 72'' dual lid wicked grapple. Your tractor is actually a utility tractor but my grapple would probably be fine on yours. They also have a heavier duty grapple for utilities. If you talk to them they will steer you in the right driection.

20. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

OK thanks 94BULLITT ... laugh at me ... I grew up on quater acre lot.. gramps was a farmer.. never had a tractor (did it all with horses) I had no idea what it was when I financed it for a friend.. I had used it to brush hog my 12 acres.. gas hit 4 plus a gallon I was using riding lawnmowers for the 12 acres of field which took 25 gallon and 25 hours (killed 1 rider a year) 4th ridin lawn mower died... a kid from high school asked me to Co sign for tractor I said no I will buy it make payments you reimburse me... only condition was you come brush hog fields twice a year (he had a small excavation co) 2 years later financial crisis hit.. he went bankrupt.. stopped paying me so I got tractor with 250 hours and brush hog box blade and York rake for about 13k on payments.. 600 a month..

What I want to add is quick release to FEL.. a plug in to warm it (it's got glow plugs) a light bar to rope and a grapple.. and other things as I see them..

forks and a snow slop blade.. when not enough to snow blow.... trying to get smarter.. but like giving someone a snap on mechanic tool set that's never seen an engine trying to learn...

I did borrow a back hoe for a week and quite honestly easier to pay neighbor 200 for days work with his excavator

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017