In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Tracking Dogs

Discussion in 'The Game Room' started by HolsatiaRedneck, Aug 28, 2018.

1. HolsatiaRedneck

HolsatiaRedneck

A few days ago i read this article on Field and Stream - at first i wasnt sure if i got it right.. im still not sure i reckon. I was puzzled that, correct me if im wrong, in many states you arent allowed to use a tracking dog to find wounded game? Im not a US citizen so i couldnt be bothered goin through all the law stuff - ours does my head in allready. Some of you might wanna help a fellow hoarder out on this one. Thanks

2. Aje1967

Aje1967

I am not sure about big game, but for small game you can always use dogs. I think some states don't allow dogs for hunting or tracking deer, moose, elk, etc. Hope that helps some.

3. blacktail

blacktail

Dogs are not allowed for big game hunting where I live. It may be a gray area, but to legally track a wounded big game animal here I think you'd have to leave your hunting weapon at home or in the truck. Then you're just out walking your dog.

4. imwiley1

imwiley1

Wisconsin and many other states allow the use of a dog to track wounded game as long as the dog remains on a leash.

5. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Cousins use beagles to run rabbits it's a sport where they track how the dogs and judges evaluate everything. Down south they use dogs a lot on wild pigs.

6. LongShot

LongShot

From New Mexico's 2018 Hunting Rules and Information (my addition):

"Use of Dogs

Dogs may not be used to hunt big game, except bear and cougar. Furbearers (mainly coyotes and bobcats) may be hunted with dogs
    (certain exceptions apply). When dogs are used to hunt bear or cougar, the licensed hunter must be present continuously once any dog is released. Leashed dogs may be used to locate wounded or dead pronghorn antelope, elk, deer and javelina, but may not be used to locate Barbary sheep, bighorn sheep, ibex and oryx. If dogs will be used to locate wounded or dead game, hunters must register at the local NMDGF area office before hunting."

:confused:

7. HolsatiaRedneck

HolsatiaRedneck

Thats quite intresting, overhere its an requirment to go hunting. for waterfowl at least one dog and for tracking wounded game you can use your own dog, your neighbours or call in the designated tracking team. Designated Trackers have at least 200 successfull searchs and for each one some wittnesses, so they can become a designated trackin team. They are avaiblabe to everyone holding a valid hunting permit 24/7. depending on the county (in german: Kreis, Landkreis) there can be more than just on team. Every dog will complete Fieldtrials so you can use him as a hunting dog.

Bavarian Tracking Team, Dog is a Bavarian Gebirgsschweißhund (Mountainbloodhound)
    Incase you wondering why the fella looks like a firefighter or forrestworker - hes wearing kevlar.

The bit where he catches the boar with the blade is cut out, incase you wondering.

Here a Video of a driven hunt. The guy is an Instructor thats why he keeps talking and talking - but i reckon the video gives you a good idea whats it all about.
    Skip to 0:50 min - before hes just talking and advertising his outfit.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  8. DaveGunter

DaveGunter

I need one of those GPS harness he's wearing in the second vid

9. Horkn

Horkn

That's how it is for deer around here. Bear, yes, you can have them track while you are actually hunting.

10. chris

chris

hence my cc lic.

metalcuttr and HolsatiaRedneck like this.
  11. Horkn

Horkn

Hunting bears with dogs here in Wisconsin, it is legal to have free roaming dogs to track, or tree a bear while hunting. Apparently we're only one of 18 states in the US that allows this. But yes, you can use a leashed dog to track a wounded/ dead deer. I'm pretty sure you can't have a firearm on you while tracking a deer with a leashed dog though.

metalcuttr, HolsatiaRedneck and Chaz like this.
  12. Horkn

Horkn

I don't believe that is allowed while tracking if you were replying to me.

metalcuttr likes this.
  13. chris

chris

Likely a gray area here in WI as far as the concealed carry is concerned with the dog. then again if i am tracking a deer in bear territory , i do not give a damm about the dnr technicalities. whether the dnr cares to admit it or not we got big kitties floating around, besides the wolf packs. Haven't run into any wolves yet , but the other two have raised hairs on the back of my neck more than once. can't imagine what people thought when they looked out picture window to see a puma staring back at them last Feb. in Brookfield . all three are opportunists - blood trail is an opportunity.

B.Brown, metalcuttr, imwiley1 and 2 others like this.
  14. savemoney

savemoney

Dogs can be used for hunting in Maine, bear and bobcat are examples but during deer hunting they are not allowed for hunting. I've been told by hunters that when they see a dog running in the woods, they shoot it. I know of a chocolate lab who was shot in the woods on land owned by the dogs owner. Small wonder so much land in Maine is posted.

metalcuttr and Chaz like this.
  15. Horkn

Horkn

In Wisconsin, a dog is private property, and regardless of if it's on your land or not, you have no right to hurt the animal. I'd be shocked if it wasn't the same law in Maine. Idiots used to do that same here in Wisconsin, and there's probably some a$$hats that would still do it, but they'd get their butts handed to them in court.

16. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Shoot my dog on my property whether it's hunting season or not, that would be a bad plan!!

17. Horkn

Horkn

Here, even if your dog is on someone else's property you can't do that.

metalcuttr likes this.
  18. chris

chris

last time that happen - 2 dogs from where i do not know on my property went after daughter, she was about 5, Brittany got one I got the other -they are still on that property. As far as my daughter was concerned , that brit considered her his property - no one messed with her including her 2 older brothers.

19. HolsatiaRedneck

HolsatiaRedneck

You may wanna check out these folks, i got the runners version..but now i think ive should have bought the original one.
    Their stuff is really thought through and also made in the USA.
    They would be my 1st choice over most gear - unfortunatly their stuff is pretty expensive overhere.

Thats the harness in i think, cant tell if they ship overseas - but they proably do.
    If you use WhatsApp you can get in touch with them anyhow and ask.

metalcuttr and DaveGunter like this.
  20. HolsatiaRedneck

HolsatiaRedneck

I find the idea disturbing, lets say you hit it bad and its laying wounded somewhere in the thickbrush. Youll need your rifle to put it out of its misery.
    Or do they let you carry a big knife to get the job done?

Its used to be like that overhere, now legally you can only shot a stray dog if hes actually chasin game and is about to take it down.
    Cats can be shot to but has to be at least 200 yards away from the next settlement. But as the matter of fact hunting aint very popular, so the use of livetraps and bringing cats into the animalshelter is more likely... most of the times. Its all about good PR these days.

In the end of the day - in rural areas people know their neighbours and their dogs so its rather calling the neighbour and telling him to get his dog back on the leash.
    In addition, there arent any public huntinggrounds overhere. Holding Hunting-Rights is connected to property. The majority of people will get invited to go hunting. So beeing a guest and shooting a dog, weather its a pet or huntingdog
    on someone else property/huntingground will lead likly to the result he wont be hunting anywhere near for years in the future. Because of no invite as word will spread.

Thanks for your answers! It brought a little more light into the dark.

I got to spam somemore videos, sorry for that in advance :D,
    as their all in english it might be more fun to you than listening to some kraut goin JA JA JA - NEIN NEIN NEIN.

Skip to 13:24min to see a Tracker after a drivenhunt or watch the whole thing if you wanna watch some brits hunting in germany.

Or here starts at 6:45min

starts at 11:20min, the guy has an Longhaired Weimaraner - noticed how the dog takes possession of the deer.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
    Horkn likes this.