In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Too tight?

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by capetownkg, Oct 8, 2013.

1. capetownkg

capetownkg

Many of you know im trying to get ahead and dont even have a stove yet.That being said 80% of my stacks are red oak. (I know 3 years to dry). That being said are these stacks to tight for oak or are they ok for the 3 year time frame?

First stack is facing east/west,
    Second north/south

Attached Files:

Elvisss222 and thistle like this.
  2. Scotty Overkill

Scotty Overkill Administrator

Cape, those stacks will be fine. The key is to have them off of the ground and ideally having them situated so the prevailing breezes and winds blow through them......

Im sure you've seen my stacks, they are tight and many rows wide......and if you give them several years (and a top cover) they season just fine.....

3. USMC80

USMC80

Agree, you will be fine

Elvisss222 likes this.
  4. capetownkg

capetownkg

Ok good! I really was dreading restacking.Yea I am going to top cover as soon as my tarps come in from that thread that was posted the other day

NortheastAl and Scotty Overkill like this.
  5. papadave

papadave

I was going to suggest redoing the 2nd, but looks like I got submarined.o_O
    Since you plan to top cover, I think you'll be ok.
    How long have those been stacked?
    Oh, and good on ya' for getting the wood first. You'll not have anything to compare to, but you should be happy once you do get the stove/insert.

Scotty Overkill and NortheastAl like this.
  6. capetownkg

capetownkg

Its been c/s/s since this spring so it has plenty of time to go. Checked my other stack of red oak thats had 2 years and it was at 25% on a fresh split mid stack. Should be good by next winter. I need to start getting some maple and ash and woods that dont take as long to season to build up the supply.

Pallet Pete and Backwoods Savage like this.
  7. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Cape, one of the reasons we give with the 3 year rule is that the wood will be ready to burn providing you've had it split and stacked 3 years. You should have no problems with those stacks.

I do tend to stack a bit loose even though many times we'll burn 5 year old wood or even longer. It just does not hurt any time you get air moving through the stacks. But still, I would have no problem with yours so don't fret; enjoy instead.

Scotty Overkill likes this.