In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Tongs and cant hook mods

Discussion in 'Axes, Mauls, and Hand Saws' started by Lennyzx11, Sep 19, 2021.

1. Lennyzx11

Lennyzx11

Had the welder and related stuff out today so worked on a couple of mods directly stolen from posts on here.

First wasn’t a big deal. I have one of the tractor supply (timber tuff brand?) cant hooks that was always a PITA for me to get to come up and over center. So I cut the leg planning for rewelding the two pieces side by side but saving the original holes and bottom weld.
    This was a quick mod and no you can’t see the welds up closer.
    This dropped it from a little over 10” to about 7”. Plenty for me.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The second one is that I made my tongs into a tripod. I think Backwoods Savage had the original idea. I searched but couldn’t find the original post so if someone finds it I’ll edit and give credit where due.
    This idea works great!
    Picks up smalls without them flipping out and bonus is they stand there patiently waiting for you to pick them up rather than laying down in wait in the grass, brush, or sawdust for you to either look for them or trip you causing an aww sh** moment.

Cut one tip off, traced it on some 3/16 steel which was original width and cut out and welded onto a piece of the same donor metal for back plate at 6” long. That may be longer that the original version posted in the past.
    Other end got the original tip.
    Another case of welding quantity rather than quality, some grinding and paint and I’m in business.
    Let me say again. I really like these in one hand and the log rite pickaroon in the other for carrying.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
    PatrickNY, mat60, metalcuttr and 8 others like this.
  2. Lennyzx11

Lennyzx11

Edit.
    It was buzz-saw who posted the original idea with a 4 point mod.
    On 18Mar21.
    His were fabbed up a lot nicer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mat60, metalcuttr and Eric VW like this.
  3. BillinTX

BillinTX

I liked your idea of the tripod tongs so I copied it using a pair of Timber Tuff tongs.

Tripod Tongs.jpg