In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Tips on television and internet together please?

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by wildwest, Jul 13, 2019.

1. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

My tv is a little bit smart. EDIT, I guess it is wireless :eek: Not wireless but does have 5 apps I could use, but I'd like to take advantage of Amazon one since I pay for Prime anyway.

From what I gather I need a firestick or do I need to run an ethernet cord from the new modem/router to the tv?

How do the remotes work? I have a Directv remote that runs the box and channels and volume, and a receiver remote for playing disc movies. And, a tv remote used to change between disc movies and tv.

All tips appreciated including remedial things :handshake:

Check out this VIZIO D-Series 60” Class Full‑Array LED Smart TV

Far Out! When our last tv died a couple years ago I found another on sale sight (slickdeals, used bricksee to buy one at a bigger discount for under $300). They could not find the tv when WWW went to pick it up so they gave him a differen't one for the same price, wow, did not realize the substitute we now have (above) was so pricey, cool deal.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    Chazsbetterhalf, Chaz and papadave like this.
  2. jtstromsburg

jtstromsburg

We cut the cord (cept for internet) this last winter and went with roku devices for our TV’s even though 2 of the 3 are smart. Roku is simple to use. Basic ones for about $40 but I like the $100 one as it controls tv including volume and the cheaper one not as good.

Cheap one—
    Roku Premiere | HD/4K/HDR Streaming Media Player with Simple Remote and Premium HDMI Cable

Ultra—
    Roku Ultra | 4K/HDR/HD Streaming Player with Enhanced Remote (Voice, Remote Finder, Headphone Jack, TV Power and Volume), Ethernet, MicroSD and USB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Thanks J, how do you see your local news? I don't have OTA, and satellite is only Colorado news, I'd like to see Cheyenne or even Casper news like this place CBS5 NewsChannel | Cheyenne, Wyoming | News, Weather, Sports - KGWN-TV | KGWN - Livestream . Do I need a Roku for this?

DaveGunter, Chazsbetterhalf and Chaz like this.
  4. jtstromsburg

jtstromsburg

I have a HULU package with live TV and some news. I mostly get news from internet, but understand the frustration with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chazsbetterhalf, Chaz and wildwest like this.
  5. JustWood

JustWood Guest

Fire stick is on sale for $15 during amazons Black Friday in July sale which starts tomorrow.
    I found a screaming deal on an Amazon Fire TV at their Black Friday sale a few years ago and absolutely love it. Combined with the Hulu live TV app it's even better and saving $100/month over cable price.

6. blacktail

blacktail

Your TV will probably use your wireless internet. No cables or boxes necessary.
    Get it connected to your wireless network and open the Amazon app. It will then tell you to log into your Amazon account on a different device and authorize your TV to use the account.

wildwest and Chaz like this.
  7. Semipro

Semipro

You might be surprised what you can pick up with a decent antenna (OTA).
    We do OTA and Netflix and Amazon through a Roku. Although we have smart TVs we've found their Internet interfaces leave a lot to be desired as far as content, channels, and firmware updates.

wildwest likes this.
  8. fox9988

fox9988

I’ve had a Firestick for a few years, with Prime and Netflicks. No complaints.

Chaz and wildwest like this.
  9. DaveGunter

DaveGunter

Roku does have a local news channel, you can either watch the broadcast live if you happen to be watching tv at that time or it will show the last broadcast.

10. don2222

don2222

I ran a CAT 5 cable from the TV to the cable modem for a much faster connection to the internet.
    The wireless Ethernet Adapter (WiFi) connection will work too but must be setup in your TV menu network settings with your WiFi router name and password. :)
    I also run an HDMI cable from my laptop to my TV through my Home Theater Audio Receiver of course so anything I can get on the computer to display on the TV is much easier to get by typing on the keyboard. I really hate using the remote with the on screen keyboard where you have to click on one letter at a time with the remote! Just way too slow and clumsy!!!
    For Example:
    Doing a YouTube search is way easier on the computer than the TV! See pic!
    That looks like my channel! LOL

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  11. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Thanks, I hit the sale! $15 for the stick and voice control remote, and 2 months HBO free (they may have subbed the $45 Sling credit, I'll have to figure that out). Successfully hooked up the Fire Stick!! Turns out my 70+ year old mother has one and kiddo already knew how to run it:eek: , many free via Prime shows for her. Parental controls on too :yes: Already had an Alexa funny, kiddo asked for "kids cartoons", on the 3rd request Alexa thought she understood and explained flatulance :fart: complete with an animated graphic :rofl: :lol:. I'll have to look into that blacktail after I get my bearings about operating all this new equipment, thank you.

Semipro someone said she gets a couple OTA channels with a $35 antenna we are experimenting with as I type. So far we are getting a snowy Cheyenne channel, which was my most important for news. I hope we can clear it up, if it indeed needs to go on the roof, we doubt it will make it through a winter here though, hmmm.

Thank you DaveGunter , no Wyoming news but it looks it carries they Denver market which is still relevant for us.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  12. Semipro

Semipro

There are sites like antennaweb.org where you can input your location and antenna type and it will give you info on how to aim your antenna and what stations you can expect to receive.

13. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Thank you :) I was using a different site, which is why we never tried antenna, the other site said dismal percent, antennaweb.org says I can get 2 channels. Its confusing, we had IIRC like 5 channels via the 5th wheel antenna the summer we lived in it during remodel.
    upload_2019-7-21_11-54-34.png

brenndatomu and Chaz like this.
  14. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

OTA ANTENNA ITS WORKING :dex:
    WWW did an incredible redneck/MacGyver/rigging to mount the antenna today, Duramax to push up tilted old flag pole, the extra "make your own size" compression rings left over from the insulated chimney liner we put in here in 2014 to shore the poor flag pole to the house. Sawzalled a couple feet off the top of the pole so he could reach it mount the antenna. Enter icky fake brass shower curtain rod that was here when we bought this place in 2012 that I could not get that 1960's thing clean enough to use while showering with out getting the heebie jeebies for antenna-to-flagpole mounting. Blew through a couple drill bits going through the flag pole and inside rod and several hours on the hot metal roof. Worth it! We'll see what happens this winter with the wind here, most the antenna is plastic parts. He caulked a couple vulnerable hinges for extra caution with liquid nails, we will see if it makes it through the winter, glad we only shelled out $35 for it if gets damaged or blown away.

Cancelling Directv in a day or two when I get the Fire Stick set with HBO.

Next steps for another time is figuring out how to run both the antenna and Fire Stick through our theater system (gbreda :rofl: :lol:)

We now have the Cheyenne channel too :banana:

brenndatomu, Chvymn99, Chaz and 3 others like this.
  15. moresnow

moresnow

wildwest. You guys are doing what we have been considering for quite some time. We bought the Firestick a few days ago on the sale also. I've got a Roku installed already but have not really used it much yet. Our satellite provider is Dish. May I ask which antenna you installed?

brenndatomu, Chaz and wildwest like this.
  16. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Hi moresnow , it is this one below, interestingly Amazon does not have it for sale anymore. Maybe there is a new and improved model, when I was looking it seems there is a large assortment of this antenna privately branded under different company names. One tidbit, the mounting pole and hardware were not included in the one I bought and I did not realize I needed to purchase it separately.

Vansky Outdoor 150 Mile Motorized 360 Degree Rotation OTA Amplified HD TV Antenna for 2 TVs Support - UHF/VHF/1080P Channels Wireless Remote Control - 32.8' Coax Cable (VS-OTX01) https://www.amazon.com/.../ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i...

Manage
    [​IMG]
    AMAZON.COM

Vansky Outdoor 150 Mile Motorized…

I am cancelling Directv as soon as I figure out how to order different "channels" for the Fire Stick. After seeing all the free Prime shows I may not buy any channels. I've played the "new customer only pricing" game between Dish and Directv every 2 years since they stopped the 8' analogue dish satellite signals and went exclusively digital and hope this is the last time with either company. I will miss pause and recording shows when I cancel.

PS, if you want to call someone's attention, put an @ symbol infront of the screen name and it will send them a notification if you'd like to use that :)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  17. billb3

billb3

Your links go to facebook
    Screen Shot 2019-07-24 at 4.23.35 PM.png

18. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Chaz likes this.
  19. billb3

billb3

Not trying to be a jerk but some would not click on that link if it sets a cookie on their PC which gives facebook the credit for the click or a % of the sale.

20. Chaz

Chaz

:rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:

Checked antennaweb.org out of curiosity

Screenshot_2019-07-24-18-43-44.png
    :whistle:

At least we have this though..

1564008422931-1035075034.jpg

Verizon 4G tower

When we bought the place back in 2010 only Hughesnet was available for internet.
    :hair::hair::hair:

That was such horrible service.
    :loco: :crazy:

brenndatomu and wildwest like this.