In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Timberwolf TW-2

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Woodchipper95, May 2, 2016.

1. Woodchipper95

Woodchipper95

Does anyone have one I'd like to get a splitter and I'm looking into the tw2?

Chopy likes this.
  2. NH mountain man

NH mountain man

I'm not familiar with it at all so I can't offer anything. I do have a Cub Cadet 25 ton with a Honda motor that I love and am very happy with it.

Woodchipper95 and Ashwatcher like this.
  3. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

You should put this under Chainsaws and Power Equipment, you'll get more hits on it.

I don't have a tw2 so I won't be any help.

4. Chopy

Chopy

I have the Tw-P1 with the 4 way wedge and manual log lift that I have since removed only because I have a thumb on my back hoe now. Have had it about 8 years and I run about 25 cord a year average through it. Never had a problem. Just oil changes, filters and changing the plug.

5. coal reaper

coal reaper

I got tw2. Love it. Mine has the old style levers. Throw both down and it cycles forward and backward hands free. Allows me to go fetch the next round. Split about ten cords of big wood in seven hours with a guy lest friday. No after pictures but this is how it looked when i pulled up.
    Get the log lift. I have been meaning to build a table for the back of it too.

Attached Files:

6. Gasifier

Gasifier

7. coal reaper

coal reaper

With the lift i can tackle a job like this by myself. I think it was six hours. Some of those rounds are as tall as the tailgate on my f250. The time consuming part is clearing rhe splits as they pile up. Here, i was just able to move the splitter forward every few rounds.

Attached Files:

8. Greg

Greg

I have the TW5, and really love the machine, have run over 100 cord through it last four years, and can't say enough about it

Log lift and sorting table both key features if you can get both

Great back savers

9. Sawdog

Sawdog

I called timberwolf when I was looking for a new splitter. Took me two calls to get a call back. When I told the guy I split between 10-15 cord a year he literally laughed at me over the phone. "Our splitters are made for professionals, not homeowners." I said I will choose another company for my next splitter. He hung up before I could.

There could be a brand new timberwolf for sale here for $.50 and I still wouldn't buy it. I wonder how these companies are still in business.

10. NH mountain man

NH mountain man

That man was extremely condescending and rude, he didn't know it, but he has 2500 potential customers here. His major loss.

Backwoods Savage and Woodsnwoods like this.
  11. Greg

Greg

I have had employees over the years, and hope that they always represent me and my company very well. Occasionally they don't, and when I find out about it we part ways. I have dealt with the Timberwolf company and the local dealer where I bought it. The dealer made slight adjustments for me after it was broken in for free, replaced a grease fitting that I snapped off for free, and couldn't have been better overall in helping me really learn the machine. He took knarly pieces I arrived with to test the machine and put the unit through its paces while I watched. They are not cheap units, and while I love mine and feel I have received the value advertised, I wish you the best. Just saying that there are good companies that make good products, but have bad representatives. In all honesty, any of about ten brands of splitters will likely work fine for you, I would focus on the dealer from whom you buy it. To me that is as important as brand.

12. Greg

Greg

I also have the "auto pilot" feature you reference. Key feature for one man splitting as you can get next log ready while it cycles forward and back on its own. But I don't think they are keeping that feature with new models for insurance reasons. But I'm not sure. To me in terms of cordage, and when you split with only one or two people, that feature, four way wedge, and fast cycle time are the keys to what makes the thing fly. With mine if I am within 3 yards of a log pile, I can keep two people busy on the table just clearing it and lining up what needs split again.

13. Woodsnwoods

Woodsnwoods

Not to make this into a which is better thread, but I bought a new American splitter last summer and it has been flawless. They are built right in Rochester NY, and when you buy you talk directly to the owners. You can see all of the models, Timberwolf, American, and so on pretty soon at the loggers field days too. Food for thought.

coal reaper and NH mountain man like this.
  14. Chopy

Chopy

Now you're talking I got to use TW-P5 for ten minutes or so, belonged to a guy who supplies Albany County's HEAP program with firewood. For those who can't afford utilities and have a stove or insert.. The beast ( TW-5 ) takes all the work out of lifting and splitting the rounds no matter what size they are.

Canadian border VT likes this.
  15. Unicorn1

Unicorn1

I had a similar experience with Timber wolf through an email, they stated I didn't need that model and I fired back "I know what model I want". No sale here.

Last edited: May 3, 2016
    Sawdog likes this.
  16. Will C

Will C

Those American splitters are good units. I looked them over closely at the Boonville logger show. I never thought anything would impress me as much as the Timber wolf, but I feel the Americans are comparable.

Chopy likes this.
  17. Woodchipper95

Woodchipper95

I would reply to everyone but that's a lot of posting... I'm thinking the tw2 or tw1 both would be fine for me.... however I really want a tw2-HD! It's like a baby tw5. As far as the poor customer service I think I'll be fine, the guy I'm buying from was one of their first dealers and lives 8 miles away and has a ton of knowledge. I am disappointed that some are treated poorly by timberwolf/dealers of.

Chopy likes this.
  18. Woodchipper95

Woodchipper95

That's the one I want but I might be shot if I spent that kind of money on a splitter right now (just got out of college).

Chopy likes this.
  19. Chopy

Chopy

Yes, if you were smart you would then you could resell it at a huge profit. Then you cold buy whatever splitter you wanted and send a copy of the invoice with a note to Timberwolf explaining the rude way you were treated. I guess that only happens in the movies but it's a pleasant thought, nobody deserves to be dismissed when they are asking about buying a product.

Sawdog likes this.
  20. Sawdog

Sawdog

I just called American Splitters and your right, the owner answered the phone. I described my needs and he spent 25 minutes on the phone with me telling me how his company could fill those needs. Extremely nice, polite and very professional. He didn't try to up-sell me or hand me a line of bull. He even worked with me on shipping costs. American made, too.

his last statement to me was that if I should call back with a problem or concern, he'd bet that an owner would answer the phone and take care of me. He earned my business today.

To me and at the end of the day, most splitters from reputable companies will do the job that I'm asking of a splitter. As a small business owner myself, I can appreciate the attention and caring actions of an owner that answers the phone, takes time to talk to a potential customer and does what he says he will do. I dont have any doubt his product will do the same. Call American and talk with Larry about your splitter needs - I bet your impressed.

Jack Straw, Chopy, Ashwatcher and 2 others like this.