In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

★★★★★ Timberline Chainsaw Sharpener

Discussion in 'Everything Else' started by Justin B, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Justin B

Justin B

I mentioned my sharpening issues several weeks ago in this thread.

I cut driftwood only, so my workplace is always the beach. Rocks, gravel, and sand abound. I sweep off my logs before cutting them, but moist wood attracts small rocks, sand, shells, etc. I find myself needing to sharpen frequently.

I initially used my neighbour's bench-top electric sharpener. It got the job done, but has lost pieces over the years and relies on a lot of jury-rigging to make it work. It also meant that I had to leave the beach to get to the sharpener, spend 20 minutes setting it up, and then 15 minutes sharpening. The job was never ideal, but it worked.

At the beach, I've used a file as suggested but I'm new to this and the job isn't close to perfect. Also, due to my newness to this method it takes a great deal of time for me to get through the entire chain.

A battery-powered rotary tool and grinding bit seemed like a good idea, but once again, my new-to-this eyes are not great at dialling-in on 35°.

Enter the Timberline Chainsaw Sharpener. I haven't seen a review on FHC (maybe due to everyone's level of experience being high?) so here it goes.

[​IMG]

-The box containers the tool (including the carbide sharpening bit), a carrying case, and an allen key for locking the carbide into the handle.

[​IMG]

-The assembled tool

[​IMG]

- The tool clamps on to the bar. The chain travels freely through the tool.

[​IMG]

- The carbide slides through the guide, then between the tooth and the pawl. Four or five quick turns of the handle, and the tooth is perfectly sharpened. The entire 20" chain took 18 minutes, including first-time setup. I'm pretty sure that this will reduce to 10 minutes or so.

[​IMG]

- The result: my first sharpening job that results in 0% dust. All sweet, sweet flakes.

I shot a video of the tool in action, but it isn't displaying on the forum. When I get that sorted, I'll update the post.

My opinion: The Timberline Chainsaw is ideal for individuals who are new to sharpening chains or those with some experience that are dissatisfied with their ability to use other sharpening methods. The tool is well built without many pieces to lose. I ordered the product direct from Timberline's web site - it was hassle-free and the tool arrived in just over 1 week. I'm extremely pleased with this method of sharpening.

milleo, HDRock, Eric VW and 1 other person like this.
  2. fuelrod

fuelrod

I have been hand filing for a long time. I always thought I was pretty good at it, nice chips, straight cut etc. but eventually after enough times sharpening, it seems that I always favored one side, (removed more material). A few years ago I bought the Timberline and have never looked back ! It's just as portable as a file, no chain removal needed, and perfectly cut's each "tooth" consistently the same.:thumbs:

milleo, Eric VW and TBONE like this.
  3. Justin B

Justin B

Glad to hear that I'm not just being biased because I'm inexperienced and dropped $100 on a tool! Like you say, maintaining the same level of sharpness on each tooth and on each side is difficult to control with a file. I'd need decades of experience to do that.

Deadwood and Eric VW like this.
  4. Scotty Overkill

Scotty Overkill Administrator

A gracious member bought me a Timberline several years back as a gift, and it is a cool gadget! There were some gremlins in the original design, maybe they worked them out by now.

At any rate, it's a great tool to have in your sharpening arsenal, especially when you really mess a chain up and your out in the woods. I'll recommend a stump vise/hitch vise to go along with it.....

raybonz and Eric VW like this.
  5. burntreyno11ds

burntreyno11ds

I've had my timberline for a year, and can't say enough about it. Love it. It takes A little longer than a regular file, to do a sharpening because of the additional set up. But once you do A few chains, it gets to be fairly quick, with guaranteed results. I keep it with my saws, and I have used it in the field to touch up the chain, but that is a rarity as I'm too impatient when I'm cutting. I usually have extra chains with me and would rather switch out a chain than sharpen a chain...but most of the time I will just leave the chains on and sharpen with with Timberline at theend of day or when I have a chance. The best thing about the timberline, is that it gives very consistent results which is something I'm always looking for in a tool. You need to set it up correctly, but once you have that mastered it will be a reliable friend for sure, I recommend!

Eric VW and The Wood Wolverine like this.