In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

thoughts on truper mauls

Discussion in 'Axes, Mauls, and Hand Saws' started by patrick kozlowski, Oct 3, 2020.

1. i was just wondering what u guys thought of em ..... me i had 1 lost it because it got stuck under a downed cherry then bought another the one i have is 8lb with a fiber glass handle and a little plastic hook at the bottom that for some reason i seem to really like i usually take it with me when i cut firewood and leave my other 8lb maul that i got at walmart at home

Midwinter likes this.
  2. Midwinter

Midwinter

This one? truper_8lb_splitting_maul_wood_handle_with_overstrike_protection_448643.jpg

3. no sir right weight though mine has a plastic handle that is black and red the maul head starts out as an axe but kinda flairs out a little then on the back of the head is a little boxy

4. like this 1 755625041210-1.jpg

Midwinter likes this.
  5. i had another were the handle was about the same but at the bottom was a more curved inward at the bottom for sum reason the handle on it was my favorite type

Midwinter likes this.
  6. JW IN VA

JW IN VA

Are you happy with it?
    Does it split like you like?
    Did you like the price?

If yes to all the above,it's not necessary to look further.
    Others will have other opinions and, may be right. But,if you're happy,that's what matters.
    Personally, I like my Council Tool 8lb axe eye maul.I've used sledge eyes and they work well but I feel I have more control with the axe eye.
    Contrary to what a lot of people say,I did not like the popular brand splitting axe when I tried it.It may have been the wood I was tying to split,too.
    I think I'd like to try a Ochsenkorf maul once.

Midwinter and patrick kozlowski like this.
  7. my answer to alk 3 questions were a yes ..... i was just tryin to put a question out there to kinda see if other ppl have used em and what they thought of em

Midwinter likes this.
  8. JW IN VA

JW IN VA

Looking and thinking again I'm fairly certain I've used one that my son has. I seem to remember it as working well. He has one I've usually reached for and this looks like it.

9. Paul bunion

Paul bunion

I have a 4lb Truper sledge hammer with a 15" handle. As far as vibration/shock transmission back thru the handle; it is really good at deading it. I use it for breaking rock into crush when working on trails and have no complaints.

10. Hatchetdancer

Hatchetdancer

Buy a Fiskars and never look back

11. i like fiskars to a variying extent on the smaller stuff and softer woods they seem to be pretty descent but on the bigger stuff is were mauls kinda excel at and ive heard alot of nice things about there isocore 8lb maul but seems a little to pricey

Dakota Hoarder likes this.
  12. Hatchetdancer

Hatchetdancer

I will say we were trying to split some standing dead red oak back at camp on some big stuff 24” they the middle and the mauls did do better then me and my cousins splitting axes

patrick kozlowski likes this.
  13. Lastmohecken

Lastmohecken

When I go to the woods to split rounds, (I always split them before I haul them because I only want to lift so much at a time) I always take a minimum of 3 and often 4 or 5 spilitting axes and mauls, of various weights. I have a big 8 pounder I use sometime, but much prefer an ax head 6 pound maul, and I have another regular round handle 6 pound maul, but I seem to have more control with the ax head maul, however those are the big guns, and I don't drag them out, unless I am having a lot of trouble splitting using a 4 pound double bit ax, and a couple of approximately 4 pound single bit axes.

I like the looks of some of the Truper's but I want the wood handle ones. I really don't like plastic or fiberglass handles, which is one reason I have not bought one of the fiskars. I wish they would offer a model with a wood handle.

14. some of the stuff i bring with me when i encounter the big stuff is a trupper 8 lb and when i seem to be havin a little trouble i bust out a wedge or two that ive found at walmart i kinda like the wedge ive found there they seem to bite really well

Midwinter likes this.
  15. pcable89

pcable89

I just bought this maul last week at Lowe's, my first one (I am just starting out) and it has been pretty easy to use, I like it. Great price point too. Used it on big and small stuff - some larger rounds to drive wedges in with the back side (sledge side) of the maul, and then even split some small ~6" diameter rounds in half.

16. blacktail

blacktail

I had one of their 4.5lb ones like this and liked it a lot. After a few years the fiberglass handle broke near the head. Like a lot of things, it was made in Mexico. The day it broke I went and bought a fiskars.
    I started with an 8lb. Then a 6lb. Then this 4.5lb. Now a fiskars splitting ax. Notice a trend?

Attached Files:

JackHammer and patrick kozlowski like this.
  17. Cheepbeer

Cheepbeer

I’ve got one of those. Hit it with a hammer, and it cracked!
    I did buy a truper axe, cheap. I was gonna make a pickeroon out of it but went the hammer route instead. I started using it for splitting and it’s as good as anything else I’ve got. It hasn’t cracked from a whoopin’, yet.