In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Thoughts on American harvest 6039 pellet stove

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by Horkn, Oct 9, 2020.

1. Horkn

Horkn

My good buddy that helps me with wood cutting is looking at used one of these to add additional heat to his house.

What do you think about this model? Any issues? He can get it for $350. It looks in good condition.

IHATEPROPANE and wildwest like this.
  2. Horkn

Horkn

Here's the stove Screenshot_20201009-123932(1).png

IHATEPROPANE and wildwest like this.
  3. slvrblkk

slvrblkk

Maybe something that you're not going to burn all the time and very supplemental but honestly for ME it would be a big pass, they just aren't real good stoves....but that's just me

4. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Like above, USSA stoves are not known for quality. Idk, he could take a chance for $350 but, ........ I wouldn't, you know even their woodstoves aren't that great. That said, pellet stoves are much easier than hauling splits and stocking every few hours for me. Might be worth a try for the $$ but would be a shame if a cruddy stove turned him off from pellet stoves.

mat60, IHATEPROPANE, Rich250 and 3 others like this.
  5. Horkn

Horkn

Yeah it would be supplemental heat. I think at 350 it's not going to be much of a risk. It has a new auger.

6. schoondog

schoondog

I had one that heated my home for several trouble free years. Yea they are very basic, but hey it did its job. I sold it to a buddy I worked with when I bought the Quadrafire and he and his wife still love it 6 + years later. Keep it clean and good luck.

Doggy

7. Horkn

Horkn

My buddy bought it. Lots of extra parts to go with it too. Now to see how he wants to hook it up. I'm sure I'll end up helping him. That's just what we do. We've been friends since we were 7. So 38 years now.

Russell, brenndatomu, BHags and 4 others like this.
  8. Horkn

Horkn

I know he'll be asking, so I'll ask here first. ;)

Can he just run the exhaust/ chimney pipe up an existing fireplace stack? I'm pretty certain the piping is way smaller than a traditional flue, and even smaller than the standard wood stove liner/ pipe.

brenndatomu and imacman like this.
  9. imacman

imacman

Should use SS flexible liner, and install a block-off plate.

Lousyweather, schoondog and Horkn like this.
  10. don2222

don2222

It is an ok stove just as long as you never use hardwood pellets in it!

Horkn likes this.
  11. imacman

imacman

What do hardwood pellets have to do with it???

Horkn and jtakeman like this.
  12. don2222

don2222

Too hard on the small diameter auger shaft and hitch pin. They break more on hard pellets. They are not like a Whitfield auger!

slvrblkk and Horkn like this.
  13. Horkn

Horkn

Thank you, I'll make sure to tell him. I think the softwood pellets are easier to find anyways, right?
    Yes, a block off plate will be used. I think he does have SS liner with it.

imacman likes this.
  14. schoondog

schoondog

My stove burned anything I put in it including grass pellets. Its a multifuel. I would add a hot burning pellet will be desirable because the heat exchanger design is not the best.

Doggy

slvrblkk, Horkn and imacman like this.
  15. imacman

imacman

As far as I know, ALL pellets are compressed to the same density. I don't agree with Don's assumption. I burned both, and never saw any difference. Don't get thrown off by the words "softwood" or "hardwood". Balsawood, the wood they make model airplanes from, is very soft to the touch, and light weight.......but is a hardwood.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    Horkn likes this.
  16. don2222

don2222

It is not my assumption, I was told by a representative from the company. Not sure if that was Just sales Talk but maybe something to check into.

Horkn likes this.
  17. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

X2 Compressing the fiber to similar densities equals similar hardness overall.

Softwood vs Hardwood battle is just another pellet myth IMHO. And its busted AFAIK. :D

slvrblkk, imacman and Horkn like this.
  18. Lousyweather

Lousyweather

As a dealer, I cringe when people buy used stoves off Craigs List and then come in wanting them installed.....it's basically a minefield for us. Buying a stove without knowing its deficiencies (if any), and then we get put in the position of correcting them AND having to warranty the install and stove? ugh. How do you make ANY money doing this? Old stove, and a USS stove to boot, old pipe, and its Simpson...prone to leakage.....I can see many trips back to the home for free to troubleshoot issues such as operation and pipe leakage, etc. This might be a good stove to tinker with if youre handy 9and willing to do the work yourself), but I would steer way clear of this if its a first pellet stove and the user isn't willing to twist wrenches, etc.
    I am a bit close to this is I had a lady come in the other day, show me a picture of a craigs list generic and dirty stove for a few hundred bucks, and ask me how much to install it. When I tried to explain to her that we wouldnt be interested, she "went off", basically with the ole "AND WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO NOW?!! loudy and immediately (and yes, in this case its literally yelling).......is this someone I wanna deal with? No.

Russell, schoondog, imacman and 4 others like this.
  19. don2222

don2222

Hello
    I got in the middle of an issue that a customer had with a stove shop and their contractor that installs stoves for them. It was an Expensive insert Into a chase in a fairly new house and the customer was getting a smoke smell which he did not like. Since the store said the contractor should fix it and he contractor said the store should fix it, He wanted an independent opinion. So I went over and installed a good 3” diameter OAK just to make sure there was no backup there. Then I studied the whole setup and install. The stove Insert was similar to a Harman insert because it slid into a a frame. Also the exhaust connection was very similar to a Harman that connected upon sliding in but did not use the wonderful custom fireproof foam gasket that Harman uses!! I did find the smoke leak and it was right at this connector. So I took pictures and sent them too the stove shop, My thoughts were either the gasket was bad or there maybe some misalignment in how the stove slides in and the flange seats, Since the exhaust flange was at an angle like Harman stoves maybe it was not seating properly. The store ask me if I could fix it and call the manufacturer if I needed help. I said flat out no, because the stove is brand new and in warranty. I did not know the manufacturer so that would not be right! I think after a while I heard the customer returned the stove. A few years later I worked on the same model stove with the same type of leak and just changed the exhaust flange gasket with the same size rope gasket and fixed the problem! That may have been the solution and the store head technician should have worked closely with the manufacturer to figure this out! I know for a fact that when Harman makes a brand new stove and they go out in the field that Harman gives priority to fix and solve any field issues with new stoves and works closely with their dealers! That is how it should be!
    That is why most stores do not install stoves that they do not sell! Is that a good reason?

Horkn, badbob and Lousyweather like this.
  20. Horkn

Horkn

My buddy is very good at do it yourself stuff and he's a machinist as well. I'm handy myself too. I'm sure we'll figure it out, despite neither of us ever have ever done anything with a other side beside look at them.

schoondog, imacman and Lousyweather like this.