In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Thought I's stop by and relate something

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by corncob, May 8, 2022.

1. corncob

corncob

The cost of pellets id going up, like everything else today. Not so much the cost of production but the cost of transportation. With on road diesel over 5 bucks a gallon (US) transportation costs have skyrocketed.

I pre bought 5 ton and put them in the barn a couple months ago in anticipation of the increasing prices.

For me, the cost of propane has not increased at all, in fact it's actually come down a bit so I topped off all 3 of my 500 gallon bottles (425 gallons each filled to 85%). Enough for all next winter.

Fertilizer prices (remember I farm) has tripled from last year, both Urea and Anhydrous. I've already raised my cost per bale to reflect the fuel cost increase as well as the fertilizer cost.

Gonna be a rough winter next winter for those that don't think ahead in my opinion. If you can get your fuel now, I would (so long as you have a place to store it) as the cost will increase dramatically between now and then.

I just filled my bulk tank with off road diesel and had to rib the savings account to pay for it. 500 gallons of off road diesel set me back almost 2200 bucks, enough for the year (I hope). I'm going to be real conservative in my usage, no more idling the tractors to keep the cabs cool in the summer and no excessive warm up's either. When not being used, they will get shut down. Cheaper to stop and start than idle.

Installed another pellet stove in the shop as well. I'll use that to offset my propane usage in there next winter.

I've really curtailed my driving as well. I now combine all my trips into one trip and I keep up on things like changing air filters and oil changes and I'm using a multigrade synthetic lube oil to get the best mileage from the buggies. Same with the tractors. Good maintenance is key as well as keeping the tires properly inflated. My wife's new Suburban gas hog is in the garage. Takes well over a hundred bucks to fill the tank now. We are using one, fuel efficient vehicle now for all trips and there won't be any vacations to distant places either.

Today, you either get as efficient as possible or drain your wallet more often.

2. Warner

Warner

Are you saying fuel prices have risen?

T.Jeff Veal and brenndatomu like this.
  3. Camber

Camber

I've had to raise my hourly rate 5 bucks an hour for construction. It comes out to about 850 to 900 a month. Something to think about is tires are getting more expensive too. This is the second rate increase I've been forced to do this year. I don't like it, as I don't actually get to take home anymore income.

T.Jeff Veal and brenndatomu like this.
  4. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

I think more that food could double from here..
    If fuel and fertilizer has tripled…

imacman, Softwood and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  5. corncob

corncob

I'd say that goes without saying anything at all. Gonna keep going up as well.

bogieb likes this.
  6. JWinIndiana

JWinIndiana

Making our cattle manure worth more. Have a large pile of composted manure that I am going to spread a light coat over the hayfield after the first cutting. Yes, no idling of any equipment. Price of feed, wow.

Chvymn99, Farmchuck, bogieb and 2 others like this.