In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

This looks good...Not really any room for any more here right now though.

Discussion in 'The Wood Market' started by thistle, Dec 28, 2014.

1. thistle

thistle

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/zip/4822433157.html

"I don't know what kind of tree it is it has like a little helicopter things on them don't ask me I don't know..."

My guess is going by their description of the seeds & the wood's appearance its Silver Maple.Good stuff for spring/fall burning,milder winter days,very fast drying,normally splits easily.On days/nights below 25 degrees denser woods are better for long burns/coal buildup,but its great for mixing in also.
    If I didn't have a ton of it already (burning last years now + have a bunch more split/stacked for fall 2015/16) I'd take all they got.....:vulture: :saw::axe:Hopefully someone will grab it soon.

2. Paul bunion

Paul bunion

I'm not so sure that is maple. Ailanthus has little helicopter like drills on it that show up later in the season. Silver maple (and red) drop the helicopters in the spring. If it is silver they wouldn't be present now.

cus_deluxe likes this.
  3. thistle

thistle

Kinda does look more like Ailanthus now that I look at the bark again.Plus the bigger rounds would have more reddish brown heartwood if if was Silver or Red Maple.

Sure don't want that nasty effing stuff on my property,got rid of 2 huge ones & 2 medium sized back in March 2000,took almost 5 yrs after that before the stupid seeds quit sprouting in the yard....

That & Willow are the only woods that I will not cut or bring home.

Canadian border VT and axeman like this.
  4. gunny100

gunny100 Banned

sounds like silver maple
    i have on one of them trees in my yard

5. gunny100

gunny100 Banned