In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

This is just awesome !

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Pallet Pete, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Moderator

2. dylskee

dylskee

That's an awesome idea! I wish I had a shop like that at my house. I'm a machinist and have access to my company's shop but we are so busy I have all of our machines tied up with jobs, can't seem to get my government jobs in anymore......... :(

Chvymn99 and Pallet Pete like this.
  3. BillinTX

BillinTX

I made a stand alone version out of recycled 2x4s.

IM001541.JPG

pull two pins and it folds flat for storage

IM001545.JPG

I used old power hack saw blades for grippers

IM001539.JPG

Gasifier, HDRock, Chvymn99 and 3 others like this.
  4. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

I like the portability of it. That's one advantage it has over an h-frame sawbuck. But unless you absolutely must cut each pole into rounds in the woods, the h-frame is much faster for poles, especially under 6".

Pallet Pete likes this.
  5. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Moderator

For me it's the space issue. I haul logs out and even cut up a lot at home but it is better to do it in the field. Haul logs to the truck cut them behind the truck and toss them in. Either way it's the same amount of time for me and the neighbors are happy to not get buzzed all the time. ( mostly good neighbors ) :)

6. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Interesting... Sounds like that may be a good winter project. I like the versitality of that.

7. Boog

Boog

All these devices look great, but I hate doing any extra work that is not necessary. I usually cut everything out in the field, and rarely haul branches/logs back in. I've got a lot of recent experience limbing out tops, I'm down to about 30 now from the 120 trees cut May "12". On a downed top, most of the branches are up in the air. I just start at what ever side is most accessible to back my trailer right up to them, then start cutting from about 1.5-2" back. I stop often to load up the cuts to clear my footing and just keep at it. The last branch or two on the ground just gets carefully cut in place, or maybe placed on top of a cut or two to get it up out of the leaves. I follow the KISS principle.

8. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

This was the very same thought I had in my head. I did some thinking on the subject and decided to try the H-Frame because I also needed to trim down some long splits. (I've got video of that too.)

The poles are not that heavy to handle, stacking a truckload of them goes much quicker than individual rounds. Then there is the math. I made 6 cuts (would only be 4 if the poles were perfect 80"ers.) in 3 minutes and netted 90 rounds. (Roughly 18 poles in that vid) I'd like to see your video of 90 cuts in 3 minutes. ;) I still have to limb/top just like you, I make a few cuts in the field, but my loading/unloading process is much faster, as is my cutting.

The drawback to the H-Frame is that it is not very portable nor is it neighbor-friendly as Pete pointed out. (not really a problem here so far.) If I HAD to do ALL of my cutting in the field then it would be a different game for sure. When I cut, that's pretty much all I have time to do so anything that maximizes the amount of wood I get out of the woods in a given time frame is a big plus. I can cut all weekend, and buzz up the lil' stuff during the week once I get home. Spending hours taking apart a tree top takes away from time that could be spent shredding another 24"+ trunk. :tree:

9. fox9988

fox9988

Not an option for everyone, but I cut on the forks of my tractor mostly. When I fall a tree I usually buck all the limbs that I can that are off the ground and haul them to the stacking area. THen the trunk and other limbs I cut to manageable lengths, 8'-16', and drive them over to be cut on the forks. 16" and smaller gets hauled and cut in multiples.
    It is very rocky/gravely on my property (flint). The slightest ground contact almost always rocks the chain. Plus this saves me from loading and unloading (most of) the rounds. And I get to play with my tractor!

10. HDRock

HDRock

I will quote MM and say , I like the portability of it.
    In some situations it would be great to have, but for me it just makes more sense to load a bunch in a jig and save a lot of time ,
    cutting one pole at a time just doesn't appeal to me and , there are no neighbors close enough to bother :)

11. Gasifier

Gasifier

Pretty cool. He has some time and supplies into that. But, it will save him time and supplies for many years to come. Definitely a talented man. I wish I had welding skills. But I will come up with an idea to use with my loader. Like placing many limbs over my forks, tying them down with a strong cinch rope, and cutting them off from an elevated position. I will give it a try when I have time.

Pallet Pete likes this.
  12. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Moderator

Fill the bucket so they all hang out the front together and tie them down with a come along or ratchets. Then Zip Zip done.

13. Gasifier

Gasifier

I am thinking bucket is not deep enough though. So leave them long, place them over forks separated far apart, then use strong cinch rope right in the middle tied to frame of pallet forks. Then cut from both ends. I don't know. I have not tried it yet. But the next time I am in the woods I will. That, unfortunately, won't be till next week some time.

Pallet Pete likes this.
  14. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Moderator

Yeaaaa I got a month at least before I can play with the birds and the bees :whistle:

15. Gasifier

Gasifier

EYY. To warm and wet here anyway. It is in the fifties and raining. I like it cold with the ground froze up pretty well. Maybe we will get some cooler weather in a week or two. I need the ground froze up good with this new to me machine. damm thing weighs over 9000 lbs. o_O No sense in sinking it!

16. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Moderator

You need to :smoke::drunk::tree::whistle: And go mud bog !