In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Therm Guard discount code

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by imacman, Jan 19, 2018.

1. imacman

imacman

Hey everyone, the problem with frozen pipes is always a problem, especially in the weather we had a week or so ago in the NE, and and a discussion in another thread reminded me of the Therm Guard I installed at the previous house for an exposed pipe that froze once in the attic (don't even ask why the builder put a heat pipe sticking up, un-insulated, in an unheated attic.....:picard:).

Anyway, I found the Therm Guard in a search online, and found out the designer and owner of the company, John Bridgerman, was a member on that "other" forum. Very nice man, and a great little product.

If anyone here is considering buying one, the website is ThermGuard

If you place an order, put this discount code 101657512 in at the checkout for 10% off, and free shipping is included too.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
    wildwest, ivanhoe and bogieb like this.
  2. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Pete asked for s sticky! Done.....

If ya need anything modified lemme know!! :)

3. imacman

imacman

Fixed! ThermGuard

4. bogieb

bogieb

I love my ThermGuard. And IIRC, the price has actually gone down since I bought mine fall of 2014. At the very least it has not changed and with a discount code, even better!

There are several ways you can hook up the system. I have mine hooked directly to the thermostat for my boiler (I only have 1 zone). I turn on the thermGuard during really cold weather to cycle the boiler for 8 minutes 3 or 4 times per day. I have FHW pipes that run thru an unheated garage. The last couple of weeks the garage has been in the mid 20's and I have not had an issue with those pipes (they are insulated, but still for the duration of the cold they would have definitely frozen by now).

5. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

Does it cycle the boiler or the circulation pump? Turning on the circulation pump would move hot water out of the boiler and as the cool water replaces it in the boiler, the boiler thermostat would sense the cooler temp and turn on the boiler... that’s my understanding of how it should work. I bought the thermguard but haven’t hooked it up yet...

6. bogieb

bogieb

I have no idea - sorry, I don't know how a thermostat actually activates a boiler. I assume it tells it to fire up but I am a complete layman so could be wrong. It might also depend on how you set it up within the system you have. I have read that some people attach it directly to their boiler instead of the thermostat, so that may work differently.

7. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

Thanks for the reply. My general understanding is that the aquastat controls the burner to keep the water hot and the thermostat activated the circulation pump and any zone valves. Once the water starts moving, the aquastat senses the drop in water temp inside the boiler and instructs the burner to fire. I’m novice at this though. Maybe someone else can offer a better explanation. Here’s a video that explains some stuff.

bogieb likes this.
  8. bogieb

bogieb

Okay, so you have an oil system and I have a propane system. The propane system doesn't keep the water warm - the pilot light just stays lit until there is a call for heat, then it fires. Still doesn't mean that the ThermGuard doesn't do 2 things; fire the boiler and start the circulator.

stuckinthemuck likes this.
  9. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

Ok. Got it. Thanks.

bogieb likes this.
  10. bogieb

bogieb

Anyone had a ThermGuard quit working? I don't get any blinking lights at all when I turn it on. It "seems" as if it is still hooked to the thermostat properly, but I will have to look into it once it warms up just to make sure. I just had a new boiler installed - but it is using the existing 2-wire connection on the thermostat, so nothing was disturbed on that end.

Wiring for thermguard 1.jpg Wiring for thermguard 2.jpg

Hmm, now that I think about it, I believe the old boiler on the heat setting (as my pellet stoves do), and for whatever reason the new boiler had to be set in the "auto" to start a cycle. I wonder if that has to do with it being a multi unit (does DHW also), or a condensing unit. But at the same time, I wouldn't think that it would matter to the Thermguard.

imacman likes this.
  11. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

12. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Hope you get it sorted. Doesn't sound like the TG is at fault. May just need to play with the control wiring to cycle the boiler. If I get a minute today I'll download the TG manual and check the wiring diagram. What boiler do you have?

imacman and bogieb like this.
  13. bogieb

bogieb

Thank you, I appreciate any insight you can give me. I just don't understand why it gives me no blinking lights when I turn it on. If it did that, but didn't turn on the boiler, I would be 100% sure that it's not the TG's fault.

The boiler is an HTP ELU 120 WCN. Using a LUX DMH110 thermostat (which is also what I use for the pellet stoves)

imacman and jtakeman like this.
  14. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Looks like one of the TG wires(I'm assuming they are the 2 white wires) needs to go to the G connection at the top. One stays on the RH terminal. And the other from the W terminal should be moved to the G terminal.

imacman, bogieb and stuckinthemuck like this.
  15. MikeSs

MikeSs

Was it hooked up to the boiler controls?

16. bogieb

bogieb

No, it is hooked up to the thermostat

imacman likes this.
  17. bogieb

bogieb

I'll give that a try. Probably not today, but will report back when I do it.

18. bogieb

bogieb

Well I lied, I took the rest of the day off of work since it is slow (and I have way too much PTO I need to take so as not to lose it).

I thought the G was for FHA, not gas boilers, but I tried it anyway. I changed the W to the G and still get no lights to flash when I turn the TG on. I switched it back to W, made sure the RH was installed well, and no blinking lights. I'm thinking that the TG just decided it didn't want to play any more.