In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

The reloading thread.

Discussion in 'The Game Room' started by clemsonfor, May 19, 2014.

1. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Figured I would start one catchall thread where we can ask questions that will catch the experts eyes in one spot.

I reload myself but far from expert.

I will start off with a generic question. I just bought a .380, my bullets came today as did my brass and dies were here last week. So once I table this once fired stuff I will be ready.

Who loads .380? What powder are you using? I will load lead 100 gn for pinking and fun.

FatBoy85 and My IS heats my home like this.
  2. My IS heats my home

My IS heats my home

I'll be keeping an eye on this, I also shoot .380 but factory rounds are hard to come by

FatBoy85 likes this.
  3. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Its not just for .380. I intend to keep this as an ongoing thread for reloaders. So questions on anything can be out here. This was just on my mind as I am about to load up some

Reloading is awesome. I am only into it with a single stage lee press but plan to get a lee turret in the next yr to up my production. You can't beat the price of ammo that you make. I load 44 mags for $14/100 and I am not even casting my own bullets yet.

4. NortheastAl

NortheastAl

Reloading is a lot of fun. I only did shotgun shells back when I was shooting Trap. Had a MEC Grabber progressive. Man could that thing chuck out shells. I also did some Minie Ball casting for my repro. Civil (War Between the States) war Springfield 1861. Had a good time back then. Hope a bunch of others jump on board, Clem.

Reloads used to stovepipe in my .380 PPKS. For some reason that gun hated reloads. Reloading is great on wheel guns, though. As long as you weigh your charges often so as not to blow up a cylinder. It happened twice that I know of around here. Take your time and recheck. You'll get expert at it in short order.

papadave likes this.
  5. My IS heats my home

My IS heats my home

I'm thinking of hooking up with someone at my club to get a look at the process first hand and then maybe getting into a class right before I'm ready to look for some equipment.

Clem, I know you use Lee, have you got anything on hornaday presses? I saw some at bass pro the other day.

6. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Nah. Dont know anyone with Horneday? Guys at work use RCBS or dillon.

Lots of people dont like lee cause they say itscheap. It is and thats why I like it. pleanty of people use Lee and they make some good stuff for the price. I am happy with everything lee I have . The powder measure leaks some powder head but not a big deal to me.

Get on youtube. There are plenty of videos from start to finish in multiple parts even. Show every step of the way. From single press hand primeimg to progressive guys. I mean those guys will show everything from trimming brass to cleaning g the primer pocket. Last of which I only do when loading my .30/06 for hunting/accuracy stuff. The progressive stuff does not even allow you to clean the pocket ...pops one out and pushes a new one in. Its kind of unnecessary step. And turning brass on straight wall pistol is not really necessary. You can shoot a pistol brass many times and it won't grow like a rifle bottleneck brass will. I measured some 38s I have..some I know have been loaded 3x and none were over trim length.

As to the stovepipe 380s it may of been due to bullet profile or the OAL was not what your gun liked?

7. foragefarmer

foragefarmer

I have had a Lee turret press since I was 19 and you can't beat it for the money. I guess that means I have had it for 24 years.

I have Lee pistol dies and they work fine. I go with RCBS and Redding dies for rifle calibers.

8. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

But if you go all out with the turret with the powder measure you need the lee "powder thru expanding die" to really take advantageof the turret capability.

If you only load one pistol caliber look at the lee 1000 its like $150 and full progressive feeding cases too. All u do is put bullet on and iI think they may have an add on for that!!

9. bocefus78

bocefus78

I don't personally load 380 but I do load 9mm in addition to others. I looked at my Lyman 49th and it looks as if win 231 is being shown as the most accurate powder in 2 of the 3 projectile weights for 380. 700x being the last. None of this data is for 100gr however.

Hth. Both of those powders are nonexistent on my lgs shelves.

Fwiw, I've been using unique for almost all my loads. It's a large flaked powder so double charges are next to impossible in a 380 case. VERY good thing for the beginning reloader.

10. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

I have unique but it does not measure consistently in my measure and its dirty to me!!!

11. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Unique also usually has a large variation from min to max unlike tite group!! i think unique in 44 mag can go from 4-12gn depending upon what manual you look at

12. foragefarmer

foragefarmer

I shoot 4227 in my .44. Great shooting stuff but good luck finding any.

ID1 likes this.
  13. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

I have some h110 I'm gonna see about using.Got it in a deal from a reloading buddy. I normally iuse tite group or unique for p linking in my marlin 1894 44mag

14. foragefarmer

foragefarmer

I was thinking pistol. I am loading for a Super Redhawk.

15. My IS heats my home

My IS heats my home

Heading out to bass pro this morning along with another small gun shop. Looking for some factory .380 and to look at some reloading equip. Things at home are kinda tight right now, so looking is all I'll be doing unfort. Maybe a reloading manual or simular just to get more involved.

16. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

I think I am on way to cabelas to look for a lee auto prime #4 shell holder. I did up about 100+ pieces of brass to only realize that 380 is a different shell holder on auto prime than the press!!!

Oslo, when u buy look at ebay and amazon they beat the prices of bass pro/cabelas by like 59%!!!

Also if you just want to start with one caliber look at the lee pro 1000 in say 380. It fully automated progressive press that all u do is put the bullet on the case and pull a lever. You have more set up time and will need to watch some vids or have a person show you how to adjustyour dies and things but it will easily crank out 200+ rounds an hour maybe closer to 300.

Last edited: May 24, 2014
    My IS heats my home likes this.
  17. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

:rofl: :lol: Nice.

My IS heats my home likes this.
  18. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Good one!!! Thats hillariuos . Thanks for quoting this so that when I go change it we still have it captured.

19. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

I know .380 ain't a big cartridge but I still wanna see you post pics of you reloading with binoculars.:p

20. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

te="MasterMech, post: 101191, member: 4"]I know .380 ain't a big cartridge but I still wanna see you post pics of you reloading with binoculars.:p[/quote]

Cant see me but here is a partial shot of my junked up reloading area.

Attached Files:

bobdog2o02 and splitoak like this.