In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

The Money Muscle

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by Mr A, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Mr A

Mr A

Looking up some butt rubs on the web today. Got to reading a competition BBQ forum about the money muscle. I never heard of that before. The part of the pork butt that is supposed to be the most tender, like a Loin they say. Gonna try it myself tonight. Does this look right? Pretty sure I flayed the right part, just let it flap out and slow cook to 180. This part its supposed to be sliced not pulled. Got a Carolina rub on it, should be ready for lunch tomorrow. Posting from mobile, how to post pics that aren't upside down? Edit: and what a garbled post, mobile is difficult. Also, how long for the "money cut" rom what I read, it is done well before the rest of the butt.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  2. Mr A

Mr A

Well, I can tell you, the money muscle is worth keeping an eye on! About 4 hours. the rest of the butt is still slow cooking using a Brinkmann POS barrel electric Seriously, this previously undiscovered piece of meat(to me) is f'ing delicious!

milleo and Scotty Overkill like this.
  3. rottiman

rottiman

Dang, that looks great. Breakfast fit for a King.

4. gbreda

gbreda

Money Muscle...gonna have to check that out.

ETA- quick check, seems it is a part of a Boston Butt. Have to give that a try as I always use a boneless butt.

5. Scotty Overkill

Scotty Overkill Administrator

Wow, when I first saw the title to this post, I got to wondering of it was a title of a dirty movie or something!!

That sure looks good, Mr. A!!

eatonpcat and gbreda like this.
  6. thistle

thistle

I really like pork steaks (its a pork shoulder cut on edge into 1"-1 1/4" thick steaks) - cheap cut but great on the grill,fried in a cast iron skillet with onion & sliced mushrooms or baked in the oven.Makes a wonderful gravy too.Can be found around here on sale for 99 CENTS per pound occasionally!!!:D :drool: Normal price is less than 2 bucks.