In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

The genious that put bleach in water cooler?

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by wildwest, Nov 24, 2014.

1. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

That would be me :emb:

I've run about 2.5 gallons through and it still smells...so not drinking it.

I found on the net I should have blocked off the hot tank which is too late now :headbang:

I also see what looks to be a drain plug in the back, I guess I will try that if the entire 5 gal bottle does not rinse the smell out.

:picard::rofl: :lol::picard:

Stinny and My IS heats my home like this.
  2. Pyroholic

Pyroholic

I recently bleached my well with 3 gallons at the instruction of the guy that fixed my well that I ran over.:emb:

While I was letting it sit I did some research and found I may have used about six times too much.

I ran my hose for at least 8 hours into the street and the bathtub for a few hours after that and the water in my house still stunk for more than a week. We all smelled like we just got out of the public pool for a while. At least I can finally drink my water again.

cnice_37, Stinny and wildwest like this.
  3. ironpony

ironpony

did the same, bleached the well, used to much took forever to get rid of.

Pyroholic, wildwest and Stinny like this.
  4. My IS heats my home

My IS heats my home

5. Stinny

Stinny

You were up early today! I think I remember one of your posts a while back that said you haul in your water? Or, just for drinking? What a hassle getting the water clean again if you have to do it by hand. Sorry that happened.

wildwest likes this.
  6. CoachSchaller

CoachSchaller

Let it air out....... The chlorine will gas off, eventually. I bleach my carboys about once or twice a year. Then I wash them with soap, rinse many times, and let them sit opened for a day or two. I try to avoid bleaching the cooler. I will wipe it out or use very dilute bleach.

PullinMyPoulan and wildwest like this.
  7. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Hey Stinny! Ummm ya, laid down for a nap yesterday an it turned into too many hours...... so up early today. Actually this was not early for most my life lol.

Yes, we do haul water, but do not trust the quality after going into truck tank, then through cistern, so we buy 5 gallon water bottles for consumption.

No worries, its only the water cooler dispenser for drinking, the cistern is fine but we don't drink from it, like the water cooler like you see in offices. I have another bottle I have been tipping over for drinking and coffee etc. Just a PIA and a waste of 5 gal water bottle :whistle:

I am actually getting a pretty good laugh about it, the things I do :rofl: :lol::picard:

Stinny likes this.
  8. Stinny

Stinny

:D... :yes:

wildwest likes this.
  9. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

I worked at swimming pools for a lot of years. Chlorine will work in pretty good water.....If the chlorine is bound to a contaminate already it becomes a chloraMINE, no longer works and needs to be shocked to remedy and kill the remaining contaminates. ChloraMINE smells a lot stronger than normal bleach, its the same reason why some pool water stings your eyes and smells worse when other pools do not. It sounds like the guy might have given you good advice despite the PIA of flushing it out.

Thanks for commiserating!

Stinny likes this.
  10. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

thanks CS, got the remaining 2.5 gal left in bottle out, pulled the drain in back and wiped dry what I could reach. Hoping letting it dry will do the trick.

Stinny likes this.