In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

The Chimney

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Kimberly, Oct 11, 2021.

1. Kimberly

Kimberly

Someone asked about the chimney the other day. The answer is no. It has been in my mind but no action. I did ask the manufacture of the stove how they measured height of the chimney in their manual and I was told from the floor to the top of the chimney. If that is the case, then the chimney meets the requirement listed in the manual However, others have said the chimney is too short. I have also been told that large door stoves are going to leak; that such a large opening kills the draft and that is just a matter of fact. I hate to go to the trouble and expense only to find that the stove still spills smoke when refuelling. The draft isn't an issue during the burn; it is the smoke spillage when refuelling.

The chimney is 12 feet from the top of the tee; the reason for the two short pieces at the top was I was scrounging for chimney sections at the time I built the chimney to save money.

I live in an older doublewide manufactured home. The stove is in a room with a vaulted ceiling with no real space in attic to hang a ceiling box; so even if I had located the stove against an inside wall, I don't think I could have properly supported the chimney. Therefore, I located the stove on the outside wall and used a through-the-wall kit. However, I am told that this reduced the draft of the chimney. I cannot reach the top of the chimney from the roof. However, I did check and there is a rental company with a scissors lift that will reach the top of the chimney; cost of the rental is $150.00/day. I might have to use the Old Girl to get the scissors lift in the back garden. I didn't plan well on having access to the back garden with machinery. I can get the chimney (three foot section) from Lowe's; cost $104.00 I am sure my BIL would haul the scissors lift to my house. I would probably install a second roof guy; Menards at $62.00 (shipping and taxes). Therefore, the job can be done for a cost of around $316.00 plus some taxes. Not that bad if it solved the problem; if I did spend that money and it still spilled smoke into the house, I wouldn't be a happy camper at all. Now to the other solution mentioned.

I checked Amazon and there is a draft inducer that installs on the pipe. You flip it on before opening the door to refuel and flip it off when you are finished. There is a member on here that is or was using one for their setup. Cost for the draft inducer is $167.00 plus tax (if I recall correctly). I read the reviews and most of them said they had to seal the draft inducer at some seams or they saw smoke leakage through the housing of the draft inducer.

I also read some posts about a rotating chimney cap that swivelled in the wind; I think these are to prevent the wind from blowing down the chimney and reducing the draft.

I am sort of dreading the start of the burn season. The reason I will post in a different thread.

chimney.jpg

Horkn and Eckie like this.
  2. Geoff C

Geoff C

Maybe call a tree guy that has a bucket truck and see if he’ll slip the extra section on for $100 or so.

Farmchuck, Horkn and Kimberly like this.
  3. Warner

Warner

4. Kimberly

Kimberly

No way to drive a bucket truck in the back garden; I can just barely get the 8N in the back garden. Poor planning on my part. No way to get it in the front garden either, I put flower beds with stone borders covering most of the front garden. I might search and see if there are any chimney installers in the area. Thanks.

5. Kimberly

Kimberly

I find it curious someone would laugh at this post. However, if I brought the person a bit of levity then I guess it is all good.

6. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

I don't recall, did you change your 90's to 45's between the stove and the chimney? If not, that would be my first step...

Horkn, Kimberly and theburtman like this.
  7. billb3

billb3

Oh for crying out loud. The chimney is made of mainly three foot sections. Disassemble at a point you CAN reach, lower that section, add your additional section on top and lift it back into place and re-connect.
    Play with some legos for practice if needed.
    It's not rocket science.
    You don't even need an engineering degree.

Homemade, Ron T, Eric VW and 4 others like this.
  8. billb3

billb3

Spilling smoke is most often from a chimney that has not responded to a sudden change in input. The smoke (or heated air) is just taking the path of least resistance. Usually just cracking the door -just enough to initiate a rate of change- is enough to start getting the flow changing to a more rapid rate in the chimney. How long you have to wait to further open the door depends on local conditions and your setup. Sometimes opening the draft fully first before cracking the door helps . It can often mean a bit of finesse with one's technique and some patience. If you want to reload like the proverbial bull in the china shop, or like one might a dishwasher or pantry cupboard, spillage is gonna result. Likely even with a taller chimney.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
  9. Warner

Warner

D176E274-249D-4E0E-9F92-811B7F80D2CD.jpeg

10. billb3

billb3

How do you know they are laughing at the post ?

I am reminded of an old Italian Proverb that Ben Franklin like to employ: One catches more flies with honey than vinegar.

Eric VW likes this.
  11. Warner

Warner

eatonpcat, Eric VW and yooperdave like this.
  12. chris

chris

ran a stove in a mobile home for 7 years, pipe was all of 9 ft straight up(about 3ft over the roof), never really had any problems unless the wind was gale force. Mandatory outside air was also installed through the floor. Smoke spillage was minimal mostly cause i was always in hurry. current place has a flue of 25+ feet with 2, 45's for an off set . I get more spillage from this than the other ( no outside air connected) even cracking the door a bit before adding fuel.

saskwoodburner likes this.
  13. Kimberly

Kimberly

Yes, I did but it didn't make a whole lot of difference.

14. Kimberly

Kimberly

I found a chimney place but they didn't list class 1 stainless on their website. I posted in the contact us what I needed so I will see how they reply.

15. Kimberly

Kimberly

That was a bust; I got this back:

We have received your service request for Brick & Stone Flatwork - Repair. We would love to assist you in connecting with the perfect pro.
    Unfortunately, it looks like we do not have any availability at this time. The good news is that you're in good hands - we've sent your request over to one of our partners and they will be reaching out shortly to connect you with the right contractor.

I guess that wasn't the business' website. I don't have any phone books in the house to look through the yellowpages.

16. Kimberly

Kimberly

I don't have the strength to do this. I can handle the individual sections but disconnecting means being able to handle several sections at once. However, maybe I can discuss it with my BIL; he was the one that helped me add the extension the last time. If we disconnected at the tee and there were a couple of strong men on the roof, then I could be ready to insert a new section at the tee and the two men on the roof could then lower back down and twist and lock in place? I have visions that the whole chimney is going to go crashing down to the ground :rofl: :lol:

17. Warner

Warner

18. yooperdave

yooperdave

How many years has this problem been plaguing you? Along with all the other issues that you brought to this forum and took advantage of the members goodwill?

Every year, members give you advice on how to take steps to eliminate problems and then you come up with a dozen excuses of why not to follow them. Are you waiting for someone to do it for you? Or do you think that tugging on the heart strings will get you more gifts? Don't ask if you're not going to do a dammed thing about it!

Did you ever get a job...you know....through an employer? That would be a great first step. Honesty would be a 2nd great step.

Are you still playing the woman/wounded bird card?

It is so predictable when you show up every fall with the same old complaints and then having done nothing about it....year after year after year!

[​IMG]

Time to man up, put your big boy pants on and become a contributing member of society.

[​IMG]

19. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Big bowl of truth serum for breakfast this morning Yoop!! :stirpot:

20. Kimberly

Kimberly

I have a place to rent from that is lots cheaper; all day for $150.00. I may even be able to tow it with the booick although I am sure I can borrow a truck.