In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

"The best firewood"

Discussion in 'The Wood Market' started by midwestguy1, Oct 2, 2019.

1. midwestguy1

midwestguy1

Lately I've removed a couple dead Elm trees with bark still on. I normally bring elm to dump cause nobody wants it. These trees were completely dry. So I kept and split. FYI Dry Elm is no joke splitting, 10x easier when it's green. I found when I say elm people pass so I use term hardwoods. Every time I have sold it people ask for more saying how great it is, even saying it's best fire wood ever.
    I think The amount of green wood sold has to be greater than seasoned. I can't think of why else people are so impressed?Firewood in general is entertainment if place an ad the responses are great, have the guys who just want to see how you measure a cord wanting agrue I normally say 2 pick beds full, that normally gets them pizzed. The people who come to pick up half a cord see it and can't believe the amount and overwhelmed. Intitally most make a statement they heard somewhere along the way, not slightest idea what there talking about.
    Seems about 1 in 5 people follow threw with showing up.
    I won't even start about wood ID, yet to see sone one with great knowledge.
    I'm one who isn't afraid to ask or nor do I feel stupid for asking so caught on to the BS of guys by asking follow up questions on how they know. Is this comman or just me?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Horkn

Horkn

Lol. Dry wood is the best firewood. Dry elm is great burning firewood.

Most people find that any wood that it's dry burns well. As I'm driving through New England and now in Eerie, I see trailers full and fresh loads of split wood delivered in people's yards. You can clearly see that the wood is very recently split. There's no months of aging or patina on the wood. You also know that these pulled off wood are going to be burned this winter.

Now, The couple of FHC'ERS that I met up here, their firewood is dry. Aged, seasoned, and the stoves they run will love eating that wood.

3. woody5506

woody5506

I really don't get why it's such a hard concept for the average Joe to understand how much easier and better it is to burn something dry vs something that is wet. I'm not that smart and I knew this even before I bought my stove. Meanwhile there's people with literally a lifetime of wood burning (or firewood sellers) who still think a month or two split means it's seasoned.

4. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

First is anybody selling firewood, is not seasoning it on site. This would require tons of room and there's no extra money in it. In Vermont, to get the state to pay for it, for low-income vermonters, it has to be dry. This cost on average about four hundred A cord. Therefore most just use other alternatives.

Dry wood is just Soo much easier. Moreover, the average homeowner does not have the equipment to move cords of firewood.

5. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

I think you've answered the question. That's the way gramps, dad, uncle Joe, whoever always did it, cut in October & burn in November. That's what people learned. Those old stoves were far more tolerant of green wood too. Few understand what a catalyst or other high efficiency stove does & why. As far as Elm is concerned, it's very good when dry & makes good heat. I take all I can get.

6. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Now let me see...what is that again that the firemen spray on fires...;) :whistle: :rofl: :lol:
    I like the argument that the wood burns up too fast if its too dry! :picard: :rofl: :lol:

7. Chaz

Chaz

A late Welcome aboard to ya midwestguy1
    :cheers:

I dropped and split an elm, but haven't burned any of it yet, but I'm sure it'll throw some heat.
    :fire:

As for people, they only know what they've been told. Simple as that. Some get good info, some not so much.
    :picard:

But, dry is the best firewood.

I was once amongst the unenlightened, cut ash into rounds in spring, split & stack in August, burn in winter.

But, I didn't know any better till I found this site.

FatBoy85, MikeyB, metalcuttr and 15 others like this.
  8. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

The "best" firewood, IMO, is one seasoned to a moisture content suitable for efficient burning. After that, you can nit-pick on species. I will say I pass on elm. Too much time/hassle during processing. To me, a great firewood is one that can be c/s/s in a timely manner and lasts a long time in the firebox. I've sold some, never bought. The people I sold to were educated long time burners, so they knew me and what they were getting. Never had to deal with any aszhats.

9. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

I used to sell about 1100 cord a year it was piled under a roof on blacktop for a year we sold full cords and it always amazed me how many people were surprised when they ordered a cord and you dumped it they said you brought to much and they seldom knew what kind of wood you were delivering JB

M2theB, FatBoy85, metalcuttr and 16 others like this.
  10. saewoody

saewoody

I love burning elm. I don't mind splitting it either. The kinetic splitter slices right through it. But any dry wood warms the house!

Horkn, FatBoy85, metalcuttr and 11 others like this.
  11. bogydave

bogydave

Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    The best firewood is
    "Gottonwood" :D

Horkn, Elvisss222, FatBoy85 and 17 others like this.
  12. viking59

viking59

I usually stay about 2 years ahead of my wood stacks, so that means about 5 chords ahead. So pretty dry by the time it gets lit up.

Horkn, FatBoy85, metalcuttr and 9 others like this.
  13. billb3

billb3

Probably more conman than not.

14. Milkman

Milkman

Pizz elm is very common around here, like most wood heavy green, hot when dry....... people believe what they are told, honesty is compromised by laziness!

15. wood and coal burner

wood and coal burner

I like dry elm but prefer to keep it off the ground. It has a habit of sucking the moisture up and when it is wet it is very heavy.

Horkn, FatBoy85, metalcuttr and 6 others like this.
  16. Blstr88

Blstr88

I didn't really know how important seasoned wood was before I came here too. I guess I "knew" seasoned wood was better, but not to the extent I do now. A lot of people just don't know I guess. I burn in an older pre-EPA smoke-dragon OWB so I can get away with some very wet wood, but I choose to put in the time to ensure I have seasoned wood now because it really does burn so much better.

Whats kind of funny is when you try explaining to people why and how moisture can cause issues/creosote and they just dont believe you. Just a week or so ago I had a co-worker telling me how something is wrong his brand new stove...there is black liquid "tar" dripping out of the bottom of it. He showed me a picture - theres literally liquid creosote dripping from his stove onto his hearth. I told him its likely from his wood not being seasoned and he insisted somethings wrong with the stove and he'll be calling the business he bought it from. :rolleyes: I wonder how many calls stove shops get like that these days...

He replaced his older stove with this brand new one so maybe his older one just dealt with it better - he's in for a rude awakening with the new stove if he insists on not seasoning his wood.

He, and many others, just buy there winters wood in the fall and are burning it a month or two later. They just dont know but many don't want to learn I guess.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    Horkn, Chaz, ReggieTsFree and 11 others like this.
  17. shack

shack

Yup...when I was a kid we pretty much cut it and burned it. Also, remember dripping creosote running down a lot of chimneys, amazing some of the places didn't burn to the ground. I could not stand the smell of creosote. I don't have the issue at my place. I am 1 year ahead with my stash set for next year already. Want to be at three years by spring, but I will be happy with two years for now.

Horkn, Chaz, FatBoy85 and 7 others like this.
  18. WiscWoody

WiscWoody

I like to burn elm and there’s quite a bit of it up here to take. It’s the primary reason I use a powerful 37 ton splitter and there are times that elm has stopped the wedge for a moment until the second stage kicks in.

bert the turtle, Horkn, Chaz and 3 others like this.
  19. viking59

viking59

20. firestarter

firestarter

I burn it when I can get it. It gets a bad wrap
    In the Firewood Poem by Lady Congreve she states " Elm wood burns like churchyard mould. E'en the very flames are cold.
    Not true.

M2theB, Horkn, Chaz and 4 others like this.