In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

That time of year again.

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by trapper brad, Nov 27, 2021.

1. trapper brad

trapper brad

Been making jerky all day going to have enough for 7 gallon bags. Then my wife and I made 10 sticks of summer sausage. Wednesday I smoked the ribs out of my buck to see how they turned out ( you can see his picture in the big buck down thread in game room ) they turned out really good. I decided tonight to strip them and put them in the crockpot for a couple hours. Put the bbq sauce the it after and let it simmer for a while and it's scrumptious . This is the way I'll be doing deer ribs from now on. IMG_20211127_012242176.jpg IMG_20211126_221348779.jpg IMG_20211126_221310353.jpg

T.Jeff Veal, MikeInMa, jrider and 5 others like this.
  2. XXL

XXL

Looks great! My son and I made up about 30 lbs of sausages and deer sticks earlier this week from the small buck he harvested a couple weeks ago. Lots of work but well worth it.

I will need to try your rib recipe.

3. trapper brad

trapper brad

XXL I seasoned em the way I would pork ribs and smoked em a couple hours then let them cook for a while. Turned out good. When I put it in the crockpot it turned to magic.. That's about 30 27 pounds of sausage I have resting in the fridge. I'll smoke it tomorrow when I get off the stand. Hope to get the big 10 I posted in the big buck down thread. Be heading out in about an hour. Safe travels and good luck.

4. XXL

XXL

I need to go back to low and slow to render out the tallow in the less lean cuts. Years ago I used to brine the ribs and then slow roast them on the BBQ. Turned out great and I don't know why I ever stopped. Lately, I have been just deboning and removing all fat and silver skin. Makes for some great cuts and sausages but there is more waste.

We made a couple small batches of sausages. Some sweet Italian, some chorizo and some Italian that we kicked up with chopped up jalapenos and spicy cheddar. Had some of those off the BBQ last night :thumbs:. Maybe some grilled butterflied backstrap tonight.

I smoked the garlic pepper deer sticks with hickory. Again, lots of work from the butchering to the grinding and stuffing but well worth it.

5. trapper brad

trapper brad

Sounds great. My sausage is seasoned up with lots or different things. I smoke it for a while then cook till internal temp is 165-168.

XXL likes this.
  6. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Can I ask a pork question on your thread?

I have a 1/2 pig coming in December, do I need to choose different cuts like a cow? Or is it just cut up like this?
    [​IMG]

T.Jeff Veal likes this.
  7. trapper brad

trapper brad

Hey Wild west, alot depends on the size of the hog. We usually have bacon, chops, sausage, and one ham. Your best bet would be to talk to your butcher.

T.Jeff Veal and wildwest like this.
  8. BHags

BHags

Keep the butt, picnic, spare ribs, loin, ham, and any belly for bacon. Anything else will make good sausage.

9. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Thank you!

trapper brad and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  10. Greenstick

Greenstick

Carrington North Dakota-aka-Dakotah Territory
    And for the ground pork you get, if you don't want to have it stuffed into casings and like bulk sausage to use as patties or crumble sausage for using in biscuits and gravy I have a recipe I'd share. It is very reminiscent of the little sizzlers you used to be able to buy at the store. So if you don't mind mixing spices in and packing it into freezer bags, I could set you up.

11. Greenstick

Greenstick

And for the ground pork you get, if you don't want to have it stuffed into casings and like bulk sausage to use as patties or crumble sausage for using in biscuits and gravy I have a recipe I'd share. It is very reminiscent of the little sizzlers you used to be able to buy at the store. So if you don't mind mixing spices in and packing it into freezer bags, I could set you up.

wildwest likes this.
  12. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Yes, I'd really appreciate it :drool: !! And I prefer bulk for exactly that reason, brown and crumble is my cooking style.

trapper brad and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  13. Greenstick

Greenstick

Screenshot_20211129-114911_Samsung Internet~2.jpg

trapper brad and wildwest like this.
  14. lukem

lukem

Call the butcher. They will walk you through it and ask how you want each part cut, how thick, how many in a package, etc.

BHags, Eckie and trapper brad like this.