In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

That snowmobile thread

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by Suburban wood snob, Dec 31, 2017.

1. Suburban wood snob

Suburban wood snob

Post em, show em, talk them up!

I got no photos of my ZR580 on this phone, and admittedly she's an old goat... But it still can put its skis in the air and pound ditches till I can't take it anymore.

I'd love to hear opinions about newer sleds... Id love to upgrade to a four stroke...

Horkn likes this.
  2. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Same here...no pics readily available right now, but still have my old 1984 Yamaha PZ480 Phazer in the garage...pretty nice shape considering the mileage and age...at least until I harpooned the factory (blue) seatcover with a branch the last time I had it out...:headbang:
    Good enough for the little bit we get to ride in NE OH anyways...if I ever went on a real ride I'd probably just rent one for the weekend

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  3. mark.nowak

mark.nowak

[​IMG][​IMG]

Here are a couple of mine, the first picture is my son on a 98 skidoo formula S 380. The second picture is my wife on a 2013 mxz 600.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Blstr88

Blstr88

Here's my current sled, 2014 ZR8000RR. I actually picked it up as a brand new leftover this past January! Traded in my F6 Snopro for it on a whim. Finding a deeply discounted 2014 leftover was too good to pass up...

I'm a huge Arctic Cat guy, especially love the Suzuki motors...although admittedly I have no experience yet with the new C-Tec motors. LOVE the ZR8000 but so far Im not crazy about the Fox Float Evol suspension. It's really designed for legit racing sleds and isnt really ideal for regular trail riding...its also SO adjustable I struggle to dial it in just right. Im sure with more time/miles I'll get it right.

As for 4-strokes, my best friend picked up a lightly used ZR9000 (4 stroke turbo) and rode it for one season, then sold it. Besides having issues with belts breaking way too often (a common issue with the 9000s) it was a very different machine to ride. The added weight was just so incredibly noticeable. Another friend rode a Yamaha Vector for some seasons...total pig.

I really think it would depend a lot on your riding type. We ride a bit more aggressively so the 2 strokes work better for us. If you're more of a long distance cruising kinda rider I think a 4 stroke might be pretty nice. They're very different so it just depends what kind of riding you're into.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

mark.nowak love that Lil formula S, got a 95 in the barn perfect size for kids to learn on. No 12 year old needs to go faster than the 75 I've had it up to!

6. Boomstick

Boomstick Banned

Pair of fusions. If I get 2k miles this year ill be at 7k and start thinking about another sled.
    Screenshot_20171231-152934.jpg Screenshot_20171231-152946.jpg

7. Suburban wood snob

Suburban wood snob

Thanks for the replies on the four strokes... I am not Mr hotdog anymore, so I think the added convenience of the four stroke and lack of smoking and better mileage might be worth the added weight.

8. Boomstick

Boomstick Banned

I've seen some 8000rrs and thought about one. That or an iqr. Ride it's balls off while I still physically can.
    I would have no qualms about a sidewinder!
    People we ride with have four strokes. Older guys that don't mind them one bit. Smooth quiet good mpgs.
    If looking for a four stroke I'd go with a yamacat viper. Best clutches in the biz and can't beat a yammi motor.

TurboDiesel likes this.
  9. Blstr88

Blstr88

I certainly dont know about all the 4 stroke options...but my friends ZR9000 did NOT get any better mileage at all. Of course being significantly heavier and pushing out 200 hp it isnt exactly built with mpg in mind. My other friends Vector did better on fuel but he had a couple less gallon size on his tank, so ultimately he was fueling up with us anyway.

I think the newer Skidoo E-Tec 2 strokes are getting great mileage though, upwards of 20 mpg if I'm not mistaken.

rdust and TurboDiesel like this.
  10. Horkn

Horkn

I'm a big sledder. It's hard to even think about buying a new sled with the crap years we've had. I've owned all of the current brands. Currently have Yamaha and Polaris.

Yamaha makes great 4 stroke sleds. The vector is ok, efi versions were much snappier, but the same engine block in the fx nytro is/ was a beast. I've ridden every version except the MTN versions of every 4 stroke yamaha. The weight disappears once under way. It seems that the cat chassis still has clutch problems.
    I'd be looking at any full Yamaha design 4 stroke as they are super reliable. They also have great power. They get 20 mpg, and have big fuel tanks.

If I were to actually buy a new sled right now, if be a Yamaha venture gt. That efi 3 cylinder 4 stroke has enough power to have fun, and can haul 2 people comfortably.
    The other one I'd look for in a newer 4 stroke is a Polaris FST turbo with the long track. Either a factory touring model, or a switchback with a 2 up seat for my wife. Those get the 20 mpg and have great power. They can be tuned to make crazy power reliably.

I'll see if I can dig up pics

Here's my 97 venture 600. This thing just won't quit. It's got nearly 10,000 miles on it. It's not our newest sled, but it gets the most use. IMG_20170211_174435178.jpg IMG_20170212_102634890_HDR.jpg

11. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

"Ford Taurus" of the sled world...

Suburban wood snob and Horkn like this.
  12. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

20161223_135344.jpg

Heres a pic of the 'beast' Which is a 91 formula plus that' still running thanks to a big assist from Horkn :handshake: many thanks! That darn sled will still lift front ski off ground with original track:jaw:

13. Suburban wood snob

Suburban wood snob

Lol... Former Taurus owner.

Horkn likes this.
  14. Horkn

Horkn

It's a bit more excitement than the typical taurus, but not as spunky as the 3.5 ecoboost powered SHO. ;)

The 600 twin with the smart carbs is 97 hp. What's funny is when I catch up to and pass guys riding solo on newer faster sleds with my wife riding behind me on the queen seat.

:rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:

I'd be able to go even faster with a newer 4 stroke venture, even the carbed 120 HP non gt model, mostly due to the longer travel suspension. My big limiting factor is getting the " slow down tap" from my wife, or me not wanting to have a spine tingler suspension bottoming out bump ruining our fun. :hair::heidi:

Those newer sleds sure have a lot more suspension.

15. Horkn

Horkn

Glad to have helped in any way possible. So it just needed the new/ used primary clutch, no?

Those rotary valved rotaxes were solid motors. The rest of the chassis too. They go pretty well for a boat anchor.:)

16. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Yup new clutch (remanufactured) delivered from link you sent, plus 18 dollar clutch puller. Good thing it went too as I was adjusting carbs saw the throttle cable (wire to oiler) was bad so saved the motor:yes:. I mean that tank has been rode hard and putaway wet over 7k on odometer but a great sled for hauling logs.. It weighs a ton, got no suspension and if you don't lean it won't turn.. But still my first choice for breaking open 3 foot deep snow on trails. IF you don't stop it won't either.

17. yooperdave

yooperdave

Ride safe everyone, please.

The U.P. had at least 2 fatalities this week.

18. Horkn

Horkn

Yes, early season, especially. Everyone is concentrated into a few areas as the trails are not open in a widespread area. That means more traffic, equating to icier trails and more people to have to watch out for.

I just looked and trails by my cabin are open, but just.... Apparently the ice is good, trails in swamps are solid, but they need more snow. Looks like that might be next week.

19. Suburban wood snob

Suburban wood snob

You gotta have a good suspension to be able to cover the miles..
    My ZR was one of the first sleds with the tall suspension and I am glad that I got that... Front suspension is OK, it was the first sled that I owned with the wide stance, and I liked the stability, but it chatters and slaps so severely on the hard pack that I will purposely drive at the edge of the trail just to keep the noise down.

I think that I will like the more upright and less 'sitting' position on the newer machines.

woody5506, Horkn and TurboDiesel like this.
  20. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

I love my FST. Of coarse the turbo adds some fun factor:yes:

Horkn likes this.