In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

That did not sound good. Tecumseh 7hp Snow King engine. Looking for advice.

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by fishingpol, Dec 15, 2013.

1. fishingpol

fishingpol

So I was out using the snowblower today and right at the end, it started to get loud making a chaw, chaw, chaw sound and getting really loud. It went KA-CHUNK and stopped. Crap. I get it into the basement and remove the cowlings and top of the engine. After it cooled I worked the flywheel and jammed my finger in a fin and the coil thing which hurt like heck. The cylinder went up and did not go down. I pulled it out and yeah, the connecting arm is done for. I checked the cylinder and there is just a little scoring on the lower end of it in a small area. It is very minor I think. The piston has two score areas, one a little deeper that the other. The piston came right out and the cylinder walls were covered in oil. There was no fight getting the cylinder out. Taking the top of the engine off there were two bolts opposite of each other that were loose and the threads were oil coated. I think these two bolts leaked air at the gasket and there was a bit of a carbon ring at the top of the cylinder.

So, go easy on me here, I have not done more that changing oil on my truck and replacing plugs. I have this torn down pretty well and will have no problem re-building it. Some of my descriptions of parts may be off, but I think I can get the point across. I have a few questions based on the pics.

IMG_6400.JPG

One question is where the bolt pushed through to the inner ring of the lower connecting arm, I think the crankshaft where the connecting rod meets may have been scored. Any concern with that? You can see where the the threads pushed through a little.

IMG_6401.JPG

Two views of the piston. Replace it?

IMG_6403.JPG

Slightly deeper.

IMG_6405.JPG

Top of cylinder, carbon build-up.

IMG_6408.JPG

I did watch a brief re-build on Youtube to familarize myself with what I am geting into. I will order new rings, head gasket, gear case gasket and a connecting arm. I am going to tear off more this evening and
    inspect the crank shaft. Everything turns smooth otherwise.

I guess this was a good time to happen as it needs new belts as the transmission and throwing capability were starting to decrease, so I will really tear into this thing. Thank you all in advance. I never though I'd be posting questions in the power equipment forums.

2. rottiman

rottiman

Your probably gonna find out that the cost of the parts are not that far off a replacement motor. The days of rebuilding those single cylinder air cooled motors have passed. They are designed with a 300 hr life span on purpose. If you go to Tractor Supply or Harbor Freight, you will see the economics are there to just replace the entire motor.

343amc, WeldrDave and fishingpol like this.
  3. fishingpol

fishingpol

I'll get pricing on parts and see where we end up. This machine really owes me nothing.

4. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

The snag here is going to be the crankshaft. You really need to measure the journal surface and make sure it is in spec. Scoring is no good either. Slight imperfections in the cylinder wall below where the piston rings travel are no big deal but when a connecting rod lets go in one of those, 99% of the time the engine is scrap. There used to be short blocks available for reasonable $$, I would enquire as to the availability of one of those. That will replace every moving part of the motor and you simply transfer the head, flywheel, carburetor and other supporting parts to the new assembly.

Without knowing exactly why the big end of that rod let go, I wouldn't trust that engine.

5. fishingpol

fishingpol

One other question: Is there a bearing set that goes around the crankshaft where the connecting rod attaches? I found the schematic online and I could not find one, so I am assuming no.

6. fishingpol

fishingpol

Second look at the crankshaft where the connecting rod meets, it looks like pretty ok. I think I am going to chance this one and see how it goes.

raybonz likes this.
  7. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

The old trick was to rub the journal with a penny and see if any copper runs off.

basod likes this.
  8. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Moderator

Jon I have a predator motor on my lawn mower and one on my log splitter. The are Harbor Freight Honda clones and so far bullet proof. They always start with one pull and run very smooth. Price wise they are a good price as well it may be worth a look.

IHATEPROPANE, fishingpol and raybonz like this.
  9. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Moderator

10. fishingpol

fishingpol

Thanks for that link Pete. I ordered parts already and will see how it turns out. Sounds like a strong engine, the 6.5 hp may be close enough in power.

Pallet Pete likes this.
  11. basod

basod

Did the connecting rod bolts come loose and the piston hit the top of the head - unless you loosened that bolt that's the failure mode.
    Like MM said above check the journal on the crank, if it catches your finger nail or other soft material....its pooched;) and time for Chinese knockoff replacement

fishingpol likes this.
  12. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

I'm with the other guys but a bit late. No way I'd mess with that motor. The parts will be more than the HF 6.5 motor. They are worth 2x the $90 they cost!! Reliable 2-3 pulls to start. And if ur crank is scored its pointless.

13. fishingpol

fishingpol

The parts came in last week and I took the case apart. A better look at the crank does have some minor scoring. Can I just pull the crank and polish the journal with emery cloth to smooth it? I mean, can I get a little more use out of it before another failure?

I may be making a trip to the local TSC to see what they have. If I can get the motor that lines up right with the pulley on the end of the crank, then it may be the way to go. I am just concerned that there may be some alignment issues that may be a PITA. I will take some measurements. Do you just match up the current model engine to a replacementand it should line up?

Oh, and the pulley on the end of the crank fell off my bench and broke a chip off the edge. Argh.

Gotta get this squared away before the next sizable storm.

14. lukem

lukem

Should be pretty easy to mount a new motor. Might have to drill new mounting holes and possibly shim it...but that's usually easier than rebuilding a motor...

clemsonfor likes this.
  15. fishingpol

fishingpol

Hmm. Good point there. I will get the measurements and get to TSC. I have to see where the nearest HF is is nothing available.

16. fishingpol

fishingpol

I believe a new crank is 80.00 and change, plus the pulley. It is a toss up here as I already rebuilt the upper end. It is an easy engine to work on.

17. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Yea motors are easy drill hole use washers or nuts for spacers.

HF has flat rate shipping often for $7. Which many times is cheaper than even driving to a local store. There even Honda clones on the bay I'm sure or amazon.

18. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Return what u got eat the shipping and get a new motor

19. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Buying that crank your too fat into a motor that potentially won't run as long as the HF model!! My buddy has one on his splitter. I think this is year 3 not a ton of hours but runs better than most Briggs motors and sips fuel. And starts 3rd pull. It it blew today I'd buy him another if I blew it and I'm sure he wouldbuy one if it blew on him.

20. raybonz

raybonz Moderator