In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Thanksgiving observations

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Ohio dave, Nov 24, 2022.

1. Ohio dave

Ohio dave

Growing up we would get to my Aunt and Uncle's house early so my uncles would all go hunting before feasting. At least they said they did. I only remember them coming home with 1 rabbit 1 time. Today I look here ( and some other forums) and everyone seems to be working in firewood before the feast.

2. Ron T

Ron T

Not here...taking it as easy as possible. Company is due soon.

3. Chud

Chud

I had a personal pie tasting contest and apple is still the champ with pecan receiving an honorable mention.

4. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

Had no idea the was such a thing as another forum.
    I did no wood today myself but certainly thought of it.
    Next three days is going to be nothing but wood. I need the excessive to offset what I just ate.

5. yooperdave

yooperdave

As a child, my memories of thanksgiving include being outside playing until we got too cold and then getting home to a warm house filled with all the wonderful smells of the food being prepared. :D

In later years, I would squeeze in a deer hunt before any guests arrived but once again, it was coming back to a house with all those wonderful smells!

6. Sawdust Man

Sawdust Man

My most memorable Thanksgiving was the year I was helping my dad fix the sewer pump.....we lived at the bottom of a wet canyon right text to a large creek, so of course all the wastewater had to be pumped to higher ground for disposal.
    Well, we'd been working on the pump for a couple hours in the snow.... finally got it put back together and started it up.....both squatting down there watching it run, thinking "it's going to work"!.... when all of a sudden the pump started to visibility expand......we had only enough time to realize our peril...... when it exploded.....right in our faces!
    Rich brown stuff went everywhere.....we were both thoroughly showered....
    I have no recollection of the turkey dinner that year, but I'll certainly never forget that shower....
    Actually that's one of my fondest memories of my dad....not that our relationship wasn't good, but when you go through something traumatic with someone you never forget it.

7. Sirchopsalot

Sirchopsalot

Last year the kiddo and I wooded a little before the meal. This year, I went alone. Wasn't much for me to do around the 'stead, at least that motivated me. We're trying to get out of the ash score sooner than later, now that the end is in sight. Last year we hosted, this year we went elsewhere.

I guess Thanksgiving day provided a 4 hour window of time, not at work, on a good-weather day, and a bunch of wood that needs to be taken care of.

8. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

When I was real young our holidays were not great but the food was. One of my memories was when I went back home and that year the folks had a TV and I watched the Detroit Lions win the NFL Championship. Poor Lions have had only a couple good years since but are mostly the laugh of the league and I do not follow nor even watch the games anymore.

After our marriage in 1962 we spent many years with the whole family on her side. Good times.

9. Ohio dave

Ohio dave

One of my memories was when I went back home and that year the folks had a TV and I watched the Detroit Lions win the NFL Championship. Poor Lions have had only a couple good years since but are mostly the laugh of the league and I do not follow nor even watch the games anymore.

I was a Browns fan. A team so bad we had a parade for our prefect 0-16 season. A team so bad its a laughing stock among their own fans

brenndatomu and Backwoods Savage like this.
  10. In the Pines

In the Pines

I split firewood on turkey day. that was my day, Off to do some more today.

brenndatomu likes this.
  11. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

TV announcer: And with one quarter down, its Browns 79-0...
    Browns fan: Man, this is gonna be another nail biter!

In the Pines and theburtman like this.
  12. BCB

BCB

We used to have a neighborhood football game late morning. There’d be about a dozen of us 10-12 years old and we’d play until it was time to go in.

Sirchopsalot likes this.