In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Tell me it's not the board.

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by BHags, May 14, 2019.

1. BHags

BHags

After shutting down my ten year old St Croix Hastings for the season, I found myself having to re light it this week. It needs the year end cleaning, but was running fine. Now, the newly replaced room fans always seem to be on high. with the stove set on two, or five, the fans are blowing full power. Any ideas?

ivanhoe likes this.
  2. imacman

imacman

Did you unplug it when you thought you were done for the season? If not, try unplugging for a minute or so. And it ran normally after the fans were replaced before?

ivanhoe likes this.
  3. BHags

BHags

I didn't unplug it, and yes, it was running fine before. I installed the new after market fans in late Feb, early March, and they ran nice and quite, at the right speeds for the heat settings. It's cold again today,( It's been cold and rainy since the snow melted! ), so I will unplug it and crank it up again now. ( the Bruins are on tonight, and my big screen is down there! ). I will let you know shortly.

ivanhoe and imacman like this.
  4. BHags

BHags

OK. Fix number one didn't take. I unplugged for a couple minutes, plugged in, it started right up, set on two ( of five ), and the room fan sounds like it is at full speed. I can set the stove at one, or five, and the fan runs the same, full speed.

imacman and ivanhoe like this.
  5. Birddog91

Birddog91

Are these ceiling fans? I too have a hastings just wondering your setup, My stove was going last night for the Bruins win, getting hairy eyeball from teenager to start it today, not in mood.

ivanhoe likes this.
  6. don2222

don2222

Do you have the stove plugged into a really good surge protector to protect the circuit board from those nasty slow damaging power fluctuations that we do not always see?

7. BHags

BHags

The fans in the stove that blow out hot air.

8. BHags

BHags

I do not. I guess I've been lucky for ten years or so.

imacman, ivanhoe and eatonpcat like this.
  9. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Me too Bro...mine is plugged into one of those crappy strips you plug your computer into!! Lucky so far I guess.

10. Birddog91

Birddog91

Gotcha. Mine is 14 years old and still purring it is plugged into a 100 dollar surge protector I have for my 1000 watt sub.

ivanhoe and BHags like this.
  11. imacman

imacman

TrippLite UltraBlok.jpg
    TrippLite UltraBlok.....a lot of forum members use these. About $24 on 'Zon last time I looked.

slvrblkk, badbob, BHags and 3 others like this.
  12. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

I hope it's just a setting or switch or other easy fix. Is there a way to reboot your board? (beyond unplugging it). Looks like bogieb had one a some point, and badbob knows some different stoves. I have to wonder if it is the board, seems like a bad board might cause more problems than only the fan speed?

What's this?

The Start up Program works as follows:

a. The Combustion fan and Room fan come on at high speed and the control board checks to make sure the Vacuum switch locks in. (See Diagnostic features on page 9 and 10)

b. When the board senses the Vacuum switch the Combustion fan drops to the #1 setting and the Room fan shuts off.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  13. BHags

BHags

Those things happen correctly. Then the stove reaches operating temp, feeds fuel at whatever it is set to, but the room fan goes right up to high and stays there.

Ssyko, imacman, ivanhoe and 1 other person like this.
  14. bogieb

bogieb

Sorry, I can't help. I only had my Hastings for 1 season and never ran into trouble with it (that I know of - besides it being a huge PITA to dial in the damper whenever I changed pellets). I honestly don't even remember if the fan was always on high, or was variable speed.

imacman, ivanhoe, Birddog91 and 4 others like this.
  15. badbob

badbob

I have not tinkered with any of those boards. You might want to drop an IM to member Ssyko, he has been getting into repairing some boards.

imacman, ivanhoe, BHags and 2 others like this.
  16. Birddog91

Birddog91

Ahhh yes the damm damper. I have left it wide open for the bad Vermonts and almost closed for mwp. But it is what it is. LOL

imacman, ivanhoe and bogieb like this.
  17. Ssyko

Ssyko

One thing I have found about "MOST" (not all) aftermarket blower motors. they are not variable speed compatible. The speed of any AC motor is dependent on the applied frequency that can be changed with voltage. OEM are made to be controllable to parameters the mfg sets to the motor mfg (Taps in the windings at areas that change speed, 2-4 wires like Quads). Most are controled by board voltage and timing the microcontrolers are turning it on and off (freq). some of the chinese motors floating around multiple websites are not speed controllable and usually run at the boards High setting but not the lower, or will run at a lower speed with high resistance to the armature windings and will shut itself down of burn itself out and do a fair amount of damage to the board by drawing more current than they can handle. motor stats really have to be watched when looking for replacements.

badbob, BHags, imacman and 1 other person like this.
  18. BHags

BHags

I believe the fans were variable speed when I put them in. Then at the end of the season I noticed they just seemed to run on high.

imacman likes this.
  19. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

Some controllers have a speed over ride function that places the room fan into high speed mode. Check with your manual.

bogieb, BHags and imacman like this.
  20. Snowy Rivers

Snowy Rivers

This is usually a snap switch that senses heat (As in too much) and closes routing full line voltage to the blowers.

If there is not an override snap switch then the issue is likely the Triac speed control on the board has died.

bogieb and BHags like this.