In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Table build

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by Sirchopsalot, Mar 2, 2021.

1. Sirchopsalot

Sirchopsalot

With a Passover gathering a few weeks out (3/27/21), our bitty 3x5 table isnt gonna hack it for 8 to 10.
    So out to Lowes for plywood and a couple good 2x4's, and the nifty masonite in the pic. A bit of screwing, cutting and gluing, and we have an 4x8 table.
    However, the top masonite layer is supposed to be a wallboard. It is very smooth, and dull, not shiny. I don't know what will happen it this stuff gets at all wet....I would rather not find out. Anyone have any ideas as to a coating I could apply to toughen it up a bit?
    Im not sure if poly-u would stick.
    I will be rounding the corners for walking purposes.
    Will use place mats
    Would prefer not to use a table cloth, but with a waterproof pad, may well do that. (Just more laundry to do)
    Benches purpose made a few years ago...2x12's and 2x4 corner braces. 8', 6', & 4'.
    One day when can afford some nice thick pine, a trestle table is in our future.
    Dawg helping me pick
    Glue-up complete, useable at the moment 20210228_173734.jpg 20210301_091223.jpg

Thanks!
    Sca

schlot, mat60, brenndatomu and 13 others like this.
  2. Jack Straw

Jack Straw

That looks awesome, nice job! The only thing I can think of is a roll clear poly, basically a plastic table cloth.

3. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Very Nice!!

4. fishingpol

fishingpol

This^

Relatives have a cherry table with clear roll. Pretty thick and cut to size. Probably would not be able to get anything to stick to that top.

Looks nice. Enjoy it.

5. Sirchopsalot

Sirchopsalot

Guys,
    Thanks. That sounds like a great solution.
    Im tempted to hit it with a poly-u coating as well....at least the exposed edges.
    Will try to remember to post more.pics, especially if it works out well. But, thus far, for $60, we have a big table.

Sca

6. Jack Straw

Jack Straw

I put that exact paneling in my father’s bathroom when we were selling his house.

mat60 likes this.
  7. DaveGunter

DaveGunter

Table looks great, I'm no help with the finish question.

I take the screens out of all my windows in the winter because I can't stand looking through them and they block a good bit of solar gain. We don't have curtains on any of our windows, drives my MIL nuts, she says something about it almost every time she's here...I just smile and say there's a reason why i live in the middle of the woods.

8. Sirchopsalot

Sirchopsalot

I grew up in the woods, looks like the curtain trend has followed me...you can take a man outta the woods, but you can't take the woods out of a man!
    Had a friend in MA who had a big window right next to the pooper, no curtains, lotsa wild turkeys....

We have these silly storm windows....not sure the screens come.off. we have replaced almost 2 dozen windows, and have a few more to go. Come to think of it,I'm not sure the replacement window screens come out....used to be a spring chore...pull the screens out of the closet, hose them off....

Sca

mat60 likes this.
  9. Sirchopsalot

Sirchopsalot

I was gonna do a laminate (formica or willsonart), but the plywood, at just under half an inch, needed a little more structure than laminate would provide. Neat stuff.
    Sca

mat60 and Jack Straw like this.
  10. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Nice solution! :handshake:

Sirchopsalot, mat60 and Jack Straw like this.
  11. schlot

schlot

Great ingenuity. :)

Jack Straw likes this.
  12. Jon_E

Jon_E

If you plan on poly, maybe try a bar top epoxy instead. Or the Varathane Triple-Thick poly available at Homey D.