In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Swing and a miss times two

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Yawner, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Yawner

Yawner

Rodney Daingerfield trees... no respect for a tree! Man, this is a bummer. Huge osage orange tree fell in town on doctor clinic grounds due to saturated ground and wind. Tree service came today to pick it up. Saw was spraying YELLOW from the cut. Brightest yellow chips you ever saw. They would not take it to the town dump where I live (where I could get it), they would only take it to a place in their city 30 miles away where they have some kind of deal to bring them trees and... they are mulched. Ugh, the thought of that awesome wood being mulched. I just went back to see how far along they are and I was going to call their office and try to swing a deal but the dang truck is gone. As is the tree.

Then there is this water oak that had a huge limb fall over the weekend and it's so big, it's like a tree! I went by the people's house several times over the weekend to catch them home and never did. Went by this morning and the dang town is cutting it up with the prison crew of workers. I called the head man and asked if the wood has a home and he said yep. Meaning, probably his house. He said they just dumped the small limbs at the dump. The town was involved because it fell onto the road and it got pushed off the road and I guess technically, it was lying on the road right of way.

Bummer 2x. I sure wanted that hedge.

T.Jeff Veal, jo191145, Loon and 5 others like this.
  2. Chazsbetterhalf

Chazsbetterhalf

That sucks.

3. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

With the exceptions of State and Federal highways, we basically own to the center of the road. Yes, the county had the right-of-way but we still own it

4. trail twister

trail twister

And I can have you arrested for stealing wood the county cut down and stacked in the ditch. It belongs to the home owner, no if and or butts.

:D Al

T.Jeff Veal and jo191145 like this.
  5. Yawner

Yawner

The town (in conjunction with the parish... which is a county to you guys) is actually quite good about... they will pick up and haul off tree limbs you stack out at the road. That is a nice benefit. The guy probably just asked the people if they wanted him (his crew) to cut it up and haul it off. But now I know that he scrounges firewood! So, I will have to be faster in the future.

But the osage orange will forever haunt me. Pretty wood, big tree!

6. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

what is your heating season like Yawner? No hedge around these parts. Kicks out some SERIOUS heat from what ive learned on the forum.
    I'd be haunted by them chipping it as well! :(
    Did "Barry" leave a lot of downed trees in your area?

7. Yawner

Yawner

This is north Louisiana, not south, so, it's colder here but not bad. But good (cold) enough to enjoy a fireplace and campfires for, oh, off and on, Nov - Mar.

Barry did not hit here. The low actually dead centered my town but the right side of a tropical storm is where you get damage. Nothing but drizzle here. Lucky.

The two in this thread were other storms, which we have a LOT. (Thunderstorms, high wind, tornadoes.)

8. Loon

Loon

Tree service came today to pick it up. Saw was spraying YELLOW from the cut. Brightest yellow chips you ever saw. They would not take it to the town dump where I live (where I could get it), they would only take it to a place in their city 30 miles away where they have some kind of deal to bring them trees and...
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know the city crew here in town Yawner and that's what they tell the public but it all go's to good use at their houses.:zip: :salute:

9. Yawner

Yawner

Still thinking about the big boisdarc tree (hedge). This situation has never happened to me where an out of town tree service shows up to cut an uber desirable tree. The usual tree service around here, they'll cooperate so I can get firewood. If this ever happens again, I am going to right away call their home office, if they have one, and see if I can just make an offer for them to dump it at my house. The guy said he can't dump it on private land. I would think that is bunk if I pay them. I mean, they are a tree service, they contract with people every day. They could just as easy be hired by me to dump that load at my place for $xx. I was thinking $50 but might get it cheaper than that, I really don't know. But I'd pay $50. I have plenty of wood to scrounge but I don't have THAT wood.

Another lesson is, now that I know the town guy scrounges or takes wood to his buddies, I will act faster when a tree is down around here.

10. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

ive had to do the same...snooze you lose. Worse thing they could say is no!