In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Swedish candles

Discussion in 'The Wood Market' started by Ohio dave, Feb 15, 2020.

1. Ohio dave

Ohio dave

I've been kicking around the idea of selling bundles at a farmers market. To give some variety is thinking of doing some swedish candles/fire logs also. May big problem is seasoning times no idea how to figure for logs with a cut in them.
    Before anyone says supply retail stores campgrounds roadside stand etc. This is part time for me. I have no access to a forest so volume and types are very inconsistent. And I'm on a dead end street so no roadside. Also I dont want to spend my days meeting people one at a time for a 5-10 dollar item so cl and fbm are out.

2. billb3

billb3

I've only done white pine and once you get the cuts in them you pretty much have a bundle of splits and the drying time ends up the same. I only did a few and burned 'em up 6 months later. That's not a big sample size so YMMv. I never made any more because I just didn't see what was so great about them beyond a fun project.
    I'd be cutting some now to sell in the Summer. Fall may have been better. But for outdoor burning they just really have to be dry enough to light off and stay burning.

3. Ohio dave

Ohio dave

I've got some white birch I was looking at making 12-15 to sell. The pretty white bark I think would be a good selling point

4. billb3

billb3

There goes the neighborhood. LOL
    Those could go quick just as decorations in some areas.
    You could sell a hundred of them this Summer as a local fad and then never sell another.

5. Ohio dave

Ohio dave

The people buying bundles and Swedish logs are from neighborhoods that I can't afford. At least most of them. The people in my neighborhood would buy a splitting wedge. sledge hammer pick up some logs and do it themselves.

6. Warner

Warner

I tried a few Swedish torches. The wood needs to be real dry.

metalcuttr and Screwloose like this.
  7. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

I'm subscribing to this thread as I too planned to sell some this spring. I cut these Jan 5th:
    IMG_1708.JPG IMG_1706.JPG IMG_1701.JPG

From this, which was blown over 8/1/19. I'll test one but I'm hoping they are dry enough to burn by camping season.
    IMG_6329.JPG

So roughly 4-5 months. Where I have them, they are getting full sun all day and are open to wind exposure. They are stacked vertically, 2 or 3 rounds high.

Have you thought about a wick or starter for them? A bunch of years ago, when I got my first Swedish candle, they guy that gave it to me also gave me 3 wicks. He showed me his process. Had a old crockpot full of old wax and cut strips of burlap. Then he put one end in a drill to twist. Then dipped them twice in the melted wax. They worked awesome. Just today my wife and I stopped into a couple thrift stores looking for old candles and a crock pot. Everything we saw was a little to expensive. We/she will scour local yard sales etc. for cheaper stuff. They wanted 2-3 dollars for a candle that wasn't very large and a few grab bags full of smaller ones for $5.
    Really unsure on pricing these too. As you can see, mine are a bit on the large side. I was thinking $10-15 for all but the biggest ones. Does that sound reasonable or too cheap? I've only seen them at the local grocery store and can't remember what they were charging as it was a while back.

8. Ohio dave

Ohio dave

I just saw a hardware store had them for 11$ on their website. It looked like they were only 12-14inches long. They were kiln dried white birch and had the center drilled out with some kind of starter in it. It might have Ace Hardware. Maybe True Value.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  9. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

98814AF3-1213-481E-8ABA-889CCB041766.jpeg

Saw these at my local grocery store the other day.

metalcuttr and Sandhillbilly like this.
  10. Sandhillbilly

Sandhillbilly

How did you ever make out on these?

11. Sirchopsalot

Sirchopsalot

I'm a little curious how they made such clean and straight cuts.

metalcuttr and ammoaddict like this.
  12. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

I think I sold 1. Got tired of moving my trailer out to the road, then back in. Too worried about them getting stolen. I still have a bunch and burn em in my firepit.

Attached Files:

13. Haftacut

Haftacut

Crock pots are a dime a dozen at the thrift stores. May be worth a try

14. Haftacut

Haftacut

I should make some of these. Never burned one but your pic looks awesome!

15. jo191145

jo191145

16. Sandhillbilly

Sandhillbilly

I made some a few years back out of river birch. I cut the notches in them while they were still pretty wet and they “warped” pretty good. Some of the saw kerfs closed and others opened. I’ve taken several of the better ones to a large camp out that I provide the firewood for. They seem to be a hit and I get lots of comments and questions about them.
    I have some pine and spruce to try with next go around

metalcuttr and MikeInMa like this.