In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Swamped with red maple!

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by buZZsaw BRAD, Mar 29, 2019.

1. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I was cutting at a roadside score back in January when the neighbor came out and asks me if i wanted more wood? Dumb question to ask a wood hoarder. (i wasnt a FHC member at the time, but was definitely behaving like one) He was going to have some trees cut in his back woods and would call me when they were done. It was cut and stacked and/or mounded and all i had to do was back in and load.. I pulled two truck fulls of the primo stuff (he didnt care if i left the buggy, gnarly stuff) when ground was frozen a week later We have been waiting for ground to dry for more. He texts me yesterday saying he pulled a load to his driveway. I got that out today. Three loads and all i had to do was back up to it, no cutting or splitting, a rare occurrence on a score. It was a couple miles from home too! Only "problem" was wood was cut from 12"-20". He has more for me and tree guy is coming to fell a few more trees! IMG_4111.JPG
    LOAD FROM JANUARY IMG_4194.JPG
    ANOTHER LOAD FROM JANUARY IMG_4319.JPG
    Todays load IMG_4320.JPG
    Todays load in PU. Not a typical BRAD load but a decent haul!

2. MikeyB

MikeyB

That’s a great score, hoard on brother Brad, Hoard one....

3. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Mu GF said if i bring more wood home she is leaving me...boy am i gonna miss her!

4. MikeyB

MikeyB

Lol, that’s awesome. We are taking a very big oak down tomorrow and my wife thinks all I care about is all the wood I’m getting from it. Ha ha h a

5. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I remember the thread. Right next to your garage? Lots of wood there. Make sure they cut it to your specs even if you have to mark it. My only gripe with a precut score is the different sizes. Im anal retentive about it being 16"

6. Sandhillbilly

Sandhillbilly

And she will be out in the cold...:rofl: :lol:

7. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

she will boot me out...but ill have a fire going!

8. MikeyB

MikeyB

I hear ya man, I’m definitetly going to work on these guys. Picked up some extra beer and water to keep them cranking through the day.

9. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

what is the CHD or BHD (dunno which is correct) of the oak?

10. MikeyB

MikeyB

Have to measure it, it’s a beast for sure.

11. Erik B

Erik B

I think you are asking about DBH, which is diameter at breast height.

12. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

thanks Erik B

13. Timberdog

Timberdog

14. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Brad it sounds like you are about to make a wood shortening jig. Several pictures of ones guys have made here on the forum. I once just used a box, maybe it was a crate. Stuffed it with wood and ratchet strapped it then cut. It worked well and went rather quickly but I don't want to do that over often for sure.

15. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

16. BigPapi

BigPapi

Tree service lengths suck, but ya gotta get while the getting's good, right? Nice score! Loves me some red maple.

Will the stove take the 20" splits even if you don't normally burn that length? If so, I'd suggest leaving them as is and haystack separately. Cutting down sucks - I've been doing a ton on my jig since I put up all my wood for the owb, then switched to an Ideal Steel. No -go on the many cords of 24" splits I had already made.. We have a couple years of burning 12" here.. It's an awkward load, but beats the heck out f paying the oil man!

17. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Ive seen pictures on the forum Backwoods Savage. A bunch of skinny rounds in a jig and cut away.
    The longest ones have been cut in half for nuggets, the 17-20" have been split and ill give those to my step kids next winter for their fireplaces, the 14-17" will go into my regular inventory. Its not that often i get a score with it cut to lengths already. I couldve got two more truckloads, but those were 20-24". I confirmed the score prior to being a member here, but once i joined my addiction got worse! You guys are a bad influence...but thats a good thing, i think?

18. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

BigPapi i can get the 20" in there but its a pain....slight diagonal. splits get loaded perpendicular to door. No good for extended burn but we are home most of the time during burning season.
    I do leave some longer when i score precut rounds. The 17-20 lengths will go to my stepdaughter next winter for their casual fireplace. I bring her a load to RI. They are not about btu's just atmosphere. If the round is a nice primo wood ill cut my 16" off and toss the remnant in a pallet bin of "nuggets, knotty, gnarly, noodled, shorts" pieces.
    The guy pulled two other trailer fulls out of his woods, but most were longer and i passed on them. He has more to be cut.