In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

suzuki '84 LT185 atv

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Well Seasoned, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Well Seasoned

Well Seasoned Administrator

20131103_135629.jpg 20131103_131804.jpg Guys, I'm trying to get my youngest son's atv running, which I did with a simple carb cleanup. The only problem I have is the fuel prime is leaking. There is a loose gasket there, but the fuel is spitting out of a small hole that is in the outer casing. Is a nozzle too tight causing a fuel backup? It is spitting from the hole in the top picture. Thx

2. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

A "nozzel" to tight you lost me here?

My Honda has a primer thing and I never use it. It was leaking and I put some rtv on it and reassembled it and fine now. Some say gas eats the silicone but seems fine after a year but when needed I will get a gasket for it. I would buy the gasket for it.

3. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

I am not exactly sure how the Suzuki's work as I have only messed with Honda's. But seems like that hole is there to overflow in a situation like mate a bad gasket so that fuel does not buildup in there?

4. Well Seasoned

Im pretty sure its not the gasket. Its a loose gasket that would stick when the primer needs suction. The nozzle I am speaking of is in the carb, I counted turns when removing, but maybe too tight by mistake causing fuel to backup and out that hole, I don't know.....

5. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

The turns in has something to do with delivery right? But I'm thinking g the jets if fixed just screw in till seated. Right. But don't think the nozzle/jet is the problem? Miss set float?

6. Well Seasoned

Floats ok. My neighbor stopped over, his sons used to tear these apart. Its got to be something simple I'm overlooking. Thx

7. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

The hole is an air inlet. The only way the fuel would get to that side, is a bad gasket or the diaphragm itself has a tear or hole in it.

The hole is for pressure relief. No gas should ever be on that side.

Normally the diaphragm is the gasket to? Sometimes not.

But look into a hole or tear.

Pyroholic and clemsonfor like this.
  8. Well Seasoned

Maybe I hooked it up wrong?I have The gas line going in the nipple there. Would that nipple be for out as overflow? Inside the priming area, there is a ss ball that moves.

9. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Your fuel line needs to go directly to the inlet where the needle on the float is. If I remember right Honda's have an overflow line hooked around the primer thing that just dumps to the ground. Unless my float is outta whack or something fuel never goes through that overflow.

I would almost put money on there should not be your fuel line Into that! I don't see the point in these things as thetank sits above the Carb and there gravity feed. Like I said I never use mine and I have run it dry before.

10. Well Seasoned

In that first picture. You can see the fuel line on the nipple behind the priming area. So should that be an outlet instead?

11. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Is the fuel line the shiny black thing on right? Where is the inlet needle on the Carb? If its behind this primer thing than you have it correct. Its been to long since I messed with my Honda to remember how its set up??

12. Well Seasoned

I'm going to look the primer gasket again as you stated. I may have not lined it up in the groove correctly. Hoping to mess with it tonight

13. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

Can you snap another pic? Kinda from the back of the carb, looking to the front.

14. Well Seasoned

Yes, keep an eye out alittle later. It's back to being buried in the shed. Right after I build a fire I'll take one, it's freezing out! :fire:

clemsonfor and DexterDay like this.
  15. Well Seasoned

Here's some pics 20131104_170548.jpg 20131104_170653.jpg

16. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

The top line, should be the incoming fuel line. The line on the primer should be a vent.

17. Well Seasoned

Ok, so I have this right based on pic #1, top center-throttle, top left- INCOMING FUEL, bottom left @primer (in first orininal pic) vent hose (other end connects to nothing?) Bottom right smaller hose-overflow. Does this sound right?

18. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

Yep. Clear as mud :)

Seriously, that sounds right.

19. Well Seasoned

Ill try it tomorrow. I think what I did was, the hose was curved, so instead of following the line back, I ASSUMED it was in the right place. Im not the most mechanically inclined, but at least I got the carb cleaned and its running, even though it was spitting fuel!:emb:

20. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Ought to run better now but still not surehow it was running if your fuel was not going in through the inlet: into the bowl?