In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Summers heat 2400 sq.ft.

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Warner, Jan 26, 2020.

1. Warner

Warner

Any body have any real life experience with this stove.

I have been wanting to replace the old steel plate stove I have been using . I like the price point and the large glass.
    The stove will be located in the basement. Right now there is no insulation down there but I have access to some pink ridged foam that I plan to put on the walls this summer. I know the basement install isn’t ideal but there isn’t any spot on the first floor that would be safe without major remodel.
    The stove will be vented by a central masonry chimney 8x12 flue about 30 feet tall. Installing an oak would be no problem. And I have been working on my dry wood stash.

Thanks for any replies.

2. papadave

papadave

It's the same stove as the NC30. Exactly.
    These fine folks manufacture the stove and sell under different names..........The official England's Stove Works Webstore
    Summers Heat, Timber Ridge, and Englander. They now have a "Survivor Lifestyle" line as well.
    Find the least expensive retailer and get it from them. It's a great stove for the price.
    You may want to consider a 6" liner though. That's a large flue.

3. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

There are quite a few people here with that stove...that is a rebadged NC30 made by Englander. Ford/Mercury type thing.
    You'll need to line that chimney...the flue is way too big to make a modern stove run right.

4. Warner

Warner

Thanks. A liner is in the future. I thought I heard that it’s the same as the nc30 but it looks a bit different.

T.Jeff Veal, Chaz and Chazsbetterhalf like this.
  5. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  6. Warner

Warner

I know I should be using a liner. I has been on the list but the stove I have now runs fine on the 8x12. It will be moved up the list!

7. Warner

Warner

Current price at Lowe’s is 799$
    I have 200$ gift cards.

Don’t need the stove this year I was thinking the price may drop more twords the end of the season. I have gotten some killer deals when they are changing over seasonal stuff.

8. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Good plan...if you have an old smoke dragon stove now, they waste enough heat up the flue to keep it warm and drafting...modern stoves do not...especially once you turn it down into "cruise" mode.
    You will probably want to put insulation wrap on that liner too...best performance, stays cleaner, and safer.
    Better go get it now...many stoves are (have?) been discontinued due to not meeting the EPA's 2020 standards, so the old stuff is being cleared out before they cant sell it (May 15 is the drop dead date) I would say once they are gone, they are gone...unless the 30 actually met the 2020 standard, but I don't think it did...now is a great time to get a deal on a stove...go get it today!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  9. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

And don't forget that Lowes will give an additional 10% of if you have military service time...

10. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

11. Kimberly

Kimberly

The Summer heat is not the same stove as the 30-NC. The stove is called the Madison and I own one and I cuss it daily when it fills the house full of smoke trying to load. I had to remove the smoke detector in the lounge because it was constantly going off. Your house will smell of smoke. I have the chimney height listed for the stove and people on the forum here have told me that my chimney appears to be high enough. The hinges are welded on the stove and not adjustable; the door on my stove will only open 90 degrees and then it starts binding; I did take the door off and look for burs but that is not the case for the binding. The glass for the door is held in place with four very small tabs that barely grabs the glass. The door expands, ceramic glass does not; end result is the glass becomes loose and falls into the stove enough to have a huge air leak. The draft control sits above the door and the knob will catch on the door, open the door and the draft controls gets pulled out, close the door and the draft control gets pushed in. I talked to the manufacturer about this and they said, "Yes, we know the door hits the knob." My thoughts was then why in bloody hades didn't you fix that little "feature." I took the knob off and use pliers to operate the draft. I have an air leak at the hinge side of the stove; since the hinges are welded in place and no way to adjust the gap it has a door air leak. I think the dog house is too far into the firebox. The dog house on my stove needs to be replaced as it is burnt away; there is no way to not have a hot fire sitting on top of the dog house; other stoves may be built the same way. On the draft, I wonder if the box that crosses the flue isn't reducing the draft on the stove. See the photo below. I am guessing that is the air wash system? I don't know if this is the way other stoves are built or not.

Now, it is possible I got a lemon in my stove. However Englander doesn't really seem to be interest in dealing with the issues to improve the stove. I am thinking of saving my pennies and buying a Drolet one day; that might be a few years down the road so I will just have to live with this one for now.

[​IMG]

12. Kimberly

Kimberly

No, that is the Madison and I have one. It is not the NC30.

Chazsbetterhalf likes this.
  13. Kimberly

Kimberly

No, it is the Madison and I have one. If this is the stove he is thinking about:
    [​IMG]

14. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Well, signals crossed up then...the one I linked to on AMFM Energy is the NC30.

15. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Did you ever get rid of that 90* elbow on your stovepipe?

16. papadave

papadave

Well, since the OP (Warner ) didn't specify, maybe we should have him chime in on which one he's referring to. However, Summer's Heat has the same model as the Englander NC-30 with number 50SNC-30. Both rated from 1800-2400 sq ft.
    So, what do you say Warner ?

Chazsbetterhalf and brenndatomu like this.
  17. Kimberly

Kimberly

I can't completely remove the elbow; I have to go through the wall in this house. I did replace it with two 45s; which I think looks a lot better aesthetically. I didn't see any improvement in draft though. I might add another section to the chimney but to do that, I need some kind of lift; scissors jack or lift truck or something, as it can't be reached from the roof; or at least without building some sort of platform on the roof.

18. Kimberly

Kimberly

He mentioned Lowe's and the Summer Heat 2400 at Lowe's is the Madison.

19. papadave

papadave

Missed this, so maybe it's the Madison after all.

Chazsbetterhalf and brenndatomu like this.
  20. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

And if that is the case, then more homework is warranted...from what I remember reading, I think there was some issues with the Madison 02...but I think the smaller 01 model was OK?

papadave likes this.