In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Sudden Oak Death - S.O.D

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Ralphie Boy, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Ralphie Boy

Ralphie Boy

2. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Yep they been talk of my about that for twenty years or so. Luckily we don't have it around me at least that I have heard.

I need to click your article but I was thinking that it had slowed down in California even?. Like all good plant pathogens and diseases I think they trace it back to mega nurseries out there.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

3. bear 1998

bear 1998

I'm really concerned around here.....are Chestnut (Rock) Oaks are dying rapidly....we have a few Reds that look ok so far. I hate to see any of these die prematurely cause of diseases.
    We have a few in areas where we would hate see them go...it would be kinda barren without them...:(

4. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Is it due to oak sudden death or drought related? I am seeing more red oak that usual dieing in this area. But it's drought related.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

5. Buzz Benton

Buzz Benton

Yes Sir, I know about this one. Unfortunately.

And the worst part is: it doesn't just kill Oaks! We here in Southern Oregon have so many blights and die offs our forests could be unrecognizable in a century. I've walked into patches of young Redwoods that have this - talk about freaky - because nothing (else) kills them. This does. And this "mold" is the main reason we don't move firewood from place to place here in the west. The saying is "Burn it where you get it." and the policy is "within 50 miles." By the way, this mold is killing the Live Oaks - look them up - they will be on the very top of the list of best firewood BTU's per cord.

We also have a disease known as Port Orford Root Rot that has killed most of our white Cedar here (Port Orford Cedar). They think they've developed a strain that resists it. And now we are just beginning to see a sudden death in our Maples - the cause not even known yet, but yeah, boom... just dead.

And we've had a drought that stressed everything, inducing a subsequent bug kill mainly in our white fir but also in Douglas Fir - but that's a whole other story.

However, as bad as these are, nothing but NOTHING compares to the Chestnut Blight of eastern forests, which killed BILLIONS of trees and altered the entire nature of those forests. Imagine the food from and the sheer beauty of those trees stretching from the Mississippi to the Atlantic?

I looked up Rabbit Hash KY - what a pretty place, Ralphie Boy.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    MFMc., Slocum, Midwinter and 4 others like this.
  6. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

This is terrible that it seems like every month or week we hear of another tree species being attacked. Awful for sure. Here in MI of course the EAB took a huge toll as did the problems with beech and oak and whatever else. I know my woods is certainly not the same. Sort of makes me sick looking at it in places where there used to be some really nice trees but now, most of them have turned into ashes.

7. Ralphie Boy

Ralphie Boy

Sure is, but Rabbit Hash is as much, or more, a state of mind as it is a destination. Hope some day you get south east for a visit.:handshake:

8. bear 1998

bear 1998

Actually the Reds look ok(knock on wood).....the Chestnut(Rock) oaks are known for growin in poor,rocky soil. There hasnt been much a bad drought here in some years. Really...i think they are pretty drought resistant...pretty sure its some kinda disease....