In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Successful Scrounging

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Prospector, Aug 29, 2024 at 9:04 AM.

1. Prospector

Prospector

This has been a good year for scrounges! Earlier I posted my “beside the highway” scrounge but there has been more- all oak- which is what I prefer. In February our hunting lease underwent some road improvements that resulted in 2 trees down easy to access. I hauled like 3-4 pick up bed loads out of there. I don’t have the heavy equipment to process it in my “wood yard” so it’s cut, split into manageable pieces , load, haul, and unload. Final processing occurs at the homestead. I then was able to score the highway oak and got some nice firewood from that. Well, I was positioning some stands for the upcoming deer season and noticed another fallen oak on our property line 5 minutes from home. Returned with saw and cut a load of limbs . Yesterday I got the tractor involved and cut trunk free from stump and pulled it out in open and processed that. The trunk rounds yielded around 10-14 stove wood chunks each. It was warm but I just can’t unsee a fallen oak especially easily accessible!

Attached Files:

2. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I would call that a success too. Hard to pass up easy scores like that.

How much wood do you burn in an average Winter down there?

The Wood Wolverine likes this.
  3. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Been a great year for me too. BL, MB, cherry and CO. :makeitrain"

Did you noodle the trunk or have hydro help to get it to the splitter?

eatonpcat, MikeInMa and buZZsaw BRAD like this.