In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Stump vise

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by old iron, Jan 18, 2021.

1. old iron

old iron

Just wondering is a stump vise worth taking to the woods? I've never used one

Ralphie Boy, Horkn, M2theB and 5 others like this.
  2. Screwloose

Screwloose

I've got one but I don't use it. Do you feel that you would like the saw more stable when you file ? If so it's cheap enough to try one out.

Horkn, M2theB, Camber and 1 other person like this.
  3. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

I've used mine a couple times, it works fine, but I usually just swap chains or saws.

Ralphie Boy, Mag Craft, Horkn and 7 others like this.
  4. Chud

Chud

I’ve used the Oregon and the Stihl! The Stihl is beefier and easy to hammer into wood with a hatchet or pickaroon. It holds any saw firm when hammered in properly. It’s all I use to sharpen. I face the nose of the bar, so I can position myself at an angle and double hand with equal pressure.

amateur cutter, Horkn, M2theB and 4 others like this.
  5. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

I have one I made at work a while back when I had nothing to do one day.
    I keep it in my saw tool box so it's there if I need it. Have only used it a couple times but it does work and help keep the saw stable.

amateur cutter, Horkn, M2theB and 3 others like this.
  6. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

I have one and in 11 years I've used it maybe 2-3 times. It's so much easier to just swap a chain.

7. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

I have one but I seldom use it. In fact I discuss this issue in my firewood tools video (shameless plug I know). I discuss the vises around the 19 minute mark.

If you don't want to watch the video, the cliff notes are that the stump vise doesn't tend to work well on larger saws. You need a really big stump to support the powerhead and extra length, and big dogs tend to make the saw sit to high up so as you spin the chain it hits the bottom of the opening of the stump vise. I greatly prefer a receiver hitch mounted actual vise like I show in the video.

:cheers:

8. Biddleman

Biddleman

I have the stihl version. I use it quite often as I tend to touch the chain up when I refill with gas. I'm opposite of Chud and sit at the powerhead and file.

amateur cutter, Horkn and Screwloose like this.
  9. Camber

Camber

I picked one up years ago, but never got use to it. I still lay over my powerhead on the tail gate, or most often put the saw between my legs, and place the bar tip on my wool coat or something. Very old habits die hard. I was telling my kids the other day that my grandpa who died in 84 would bring in his saws and file them that way at the dinner table in the dead of winter. Grandma was very tolerant when it came to work chores.

10. Woodwhore

Woodwhore

I
    I have the echo one and love it after years of sharpening off the back of a chipper its awesome. I definitely just like swapping chains out better

amateur cutter, Screwloose and Horkn like this.
  11. Horkn

Horkn

I don't have one, but one would certainly help if you are using a 2 in 1 or CSX file to sharpen in the woods.

amateur cutter, Nixon and Screwloose like this.
  12. Road-side Oak

Road-side Oak

I like using one. I got cheap one on amazon a year ago.... maybe $10. Just had to hit the dull spikes with a grinder to make they sharp enough to stick when I tap it into a round/log. Does it’s job well ; holding the saw steady when when I want to make a quick pass on my chain on the run. Would be nice if it had some rubber no marring tip on the screw though... it did chip the up the paint on my bar when it was new but that was only a temporary aesthetic issue. A few cords worth cutting later you can’t tell at all!

13. Nixon

Nixon

I’ve had one for years . I used it a few times when cutting . For me , it’s easier ,and faster to either swap chains ,or grab another saw . I did use it in the shop quite a bit before I bought a grinder . I hadit sett into the bench to hold saws while I filed . Worked well .

14. JRHAWK9

JRHAWK9

I use it whenever I feel it's necessary to sharpen the chain while in the woods. This doesn't happen too often when at home, as I have a vise in the garage, but when helping my buddy up north, who doesn't have a vise, I use it whenever I have to sharpen my chain.

amateur cutter and Horkn like this.
  15. Ralphie Boy

Ralphie Boy

P.M me with your address and I'll send you mine. It's a Stihl in perfect shape. It's yours for postage if you want it. Since I bought my super jolly chain grinder I just carry a couple of extra chains in the field rather than filing.

The Wood Wolverine, Horkn and huskihl like this.
  16. old iron

old iron

I thank you for the kind offer but I"ve already bought one