In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

stove

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by chris, Feb 24, 2018.

1. chris

chris

New NC30 should be here by Tuesday. Mon - Wed weather might allow flue install. This to get the lpg monster of my back. 25pdv going in basement ( this has been sitting in my shop for a couple years) Still need a new hot water heater current one is from 91 or so - ya know it is a time bomb waiting to go whoosh. ( also lpg)

Horkn, bushpilot, Maina and 10 others like this.
  2. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Hopefully it won't get too much of a hard workout this heating season buy you'll love it next winter.

3. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

:thumbs:... Congrats...

4. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

HEY!!! RULE BREAKER! Where’s the darned pics!!!???:hair::hair::hair:

Just kidding.... not everyone likes to put up pics, and I respect that of our proper and vetted members....:yes:

Horkn, Chaz, Backwoods Savage and 2 others like this.
  5. chris

chris

hard to put up pics when it isn't here yet - i will get some as things proceed. This install of the nc30 is going to be a bit pricy as i do not have the equipment to deal with a 45 degree or steeper roof angle. had a 30 in the previous home, walffled back and forth on the 30 vs the larger version of the Madison which is still a bit smaller than the 30. Thought about BK equipment- just too $$$$ for what they are. There are other issues with the new place that i will address as the temps thaw out. Home was built in 90 ( 6" side walls) but nothing has been maintained since then other than the lpg furnace being replaced. Unfortunately due to farm preservation act and land division rules the closing got pushed to the middle of Nov. By then the weather was shutting down already and I was scrambling just to get the basics functional before it got real nasty out.

Horkn, Chaz, Backwoods Savage and 2 others like this.
  6. Scotty Overkill

Scotty Overkill Administrator

Awesome, looking forward to the pics!

Horkn and Backwoods Savage like this.
  7. chris

chris

Tracking says stove should by here at shop today. Got to run into town and pickup the 1" thick Mineral board for the hearth pad and some 2" angle iron for same. Got slowed down on this part as I sold one truck and the other promptly blew out a trany line as well a developing a short in the dash instrument cluster which also takes out window, radio, door locks( not to mention that all the box supports let go also) . So that truck is out of commision for awhile. Picked up another used truck yesterday- that resolves material/equipment transport issues- 04 F250 diesel- pic has to wait I haven't got the cable for the new camera. so something else I need to get. Life got a bit messed up here as I had bought a small SUV which was stolen about 7 weeks after I got it- camera was in unit- unit replaced camera replaced- still learning new camera DSLR.

8. chris

chris

Rats, wrong stove sent and the pedestal base plate bent- NC30 ordered, Madison was sent. :(

9. Backwoods Savage

Hate when that sort of stuff happens. No excuse for it.

Horkn, FatBoy85, Mitch Newton and 2 others like this.
  10. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

That Stinks...:headbang:.... hopefully the company will rectify this issue....:mad:....

11. chris

chris

Just got email about new shipment but it hasn't hit the carriers cpu yet.

12. Rearscreen

Rearscreen

Well it's not as bad as the poor bloke who was waiting for his Woodstock Soapstone to arrive. The pallet-ed cardboard box was dropped off and inside: an equal amount of weight in the form of rocks.

13. Chaz

Chaz

That would have me fuming in quite a number of ways, and not one of them good.
    :mad::headbang::wacky::hair::mad::mad::mad::faint:

I hope someone went to jail for that little inside job.
    It couldn't have been an easy task to do, It took quite a bit to uncrate my stove when it arrived.

chris Hope the install goes smoothly for you.
    I contemplated the NC30 myself, but ultimately went with the Ideal Steel instead.
    I agree with the $$$ of the BK stoves.:binoculars:

Chaz

Horkn, Backwoods Savage and Maina like this.
  14. chris

chris

There was a rash of BK's on CL in my area, 3 of them were Kings and one Princess( that was an insert) they were all pretty old though. 2 or 3 Fishers and a couple look alike's also - way over priced. A used nc30 at $700 and a used Drolet HT2000 at the same price. All of these were 2-3 hr drive one way for me - that's another $120 bucks in fuel round trip with the trucks. Thought about the Woodstock units- too rich for my wallet. Flue is going to be pretty tall and that insulated stuff isn't going for chicken feed. Even the piping for the pellet stove is going to make a fair dent, and that is going out just above the sill area. ( poured concrete basement walls)

Horkn, Chaz and Backwoods Savage like this.
  15. Backwoods Savage

Now there's a new one! How do you suppose that happened?

Chaz, Maina and wildwest like this.
  16. chris

chris

must have been a lot of duct tape on them rocks to keep them from tumbling around and breaking out of the box. funny thing on the madison that i sent back the box was just dropped over the top of the stove nothing securing the box, stove had a couple of 3x3's across the top and cinched down to pallet.

Horkn, Chaz, Maina and 2 others like this.
  17. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Does Wood Stock use firebrick in the firebox? Suppose the firebrick came loose and cracked and a newbie owner did not know what it was?

Chaz, Maina and Backwoods Savage like this.
  18. Backwoods Savage

Yes they do but I doubt that is what happened.

Horkn, Chaz, wildwest and 1 other person like this.
  19. Chaz

Chaz

As Backwoods Savage said, they do have firebrick lining the bottom of the stove, and soapstone sides in my installation, likely just firebrick if you go without the soapstone.

But I cannot imagine anyone mistaking a lot of rocks, or firebricks for an Ideal stove. :loco: :crazy::wacky:

If they didn't know the difference, then someone did them a favor with the 'swap'. :D

Chaz

Horkn, Backwoods Savage and wildwest like this.
  20. yooperdave

yooperdave

Probably a private carrier driver made a quick deal on a stove.......:rofl: :lol: