In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Stove recommendation

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by coltbean, Feb 28, 2021.

1. coltbean

coltbean

Looking to upgrade our 20+ year old Buck stove 17.
    House is 1900 sq. ft. And I live in Arkansas only burning 1.5 to 2 cords a year
    Been looking at the Blaze King Sirocco or maybe a jotul 45.
    Is one better than the other or donyou guys have any other recommendations?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Loon, Eckie and Slocum like this.
  2. yooperdave

yooperdave

Where have you been for the last three months? We've been worried sick about you and then....... nothing! Not a word! Thought maybe that truck broke down and you got lost or something!

With only burning 2 or less cord a year, probably doesn't matter much what brand stove you end up with.

3. Hoytman

Hoytman

Upgrade to a new Buck and it won’t matter if you burn 2 cord a year or 22 cord a year. They are built as heavy as some of the best stoves made and are some of the best stoves made. They are much better than most, and certainly better than today’s popular flavors. I’m telling you they are under-rated for this day and time, and priced much better as well. SBI stove brands of Drolet, and Osburn, along with Travis Industries brand Lopi stoves are made of some of the thickest metal among most stove makers today and Buck is in this group of well built stoves. Buck may not burn the cleanest, but certainly not the dirtiest, and they may not have the longest burn times out there, but the reality is if I wanted a stove to last decades the the stoves mentioned above would be my choice...and Buck is in that group. They have made a good stove for a lot of years.

Loon likes this.
  4. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

1900 square foot if you lose electricity and power in storm?? Budget? I personally would go bigger just in case.

Loon likes this.
  5. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Well that's rich Dave! I was looking at obituaries that one summer.

Loon and yooperdave like this.
  6. yooperdave

yooperdave

Yeah, my seasonal disappearing act!

Loon and wildwest like this.
  7. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Yep, but you did not give us any warning like you before, and was gone for longer :p

8. snaple4

snaple4

What part of Arkansas? I live in NWA with 2100sqft. Currently have a Summers Heat 2000k. With all my problems with it, it does heat my house and did well during our 0* week. I am, however, trying to buy a new stove this year. My short list of companies came down to BK and Woodstock. Now I am confident it will be a WS stove.
    Reason:
    1) Cost compared to what I can get locally (within similar quality build)
    2) looks
    3) serviceability and help (every time I called WS they answered/responded quickly)
    4) long burn time and efficient (less firewood moving, cutting...)

Loon and Eckie like this.
  9. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

snaple4 great idea drive to pick it up at an open house I will buy you drinks of your choice :handshake:

10. Eckie

Eckie

Have you decided which WS stove yet?

Loon likes this.
  11. coltbean

coltbean

Just outside of Conway. I have never heard of the Woodstock. I will look into them.

Loon likes this.
  12. snaple4

snaple4

prior to having kids that kind of drive was no problem. Heck, by the time I graduated college I had visited most states, Hawaii and Alaska included. Although, I have considered driving up there just to do it and happen to pick up a stove in the process. One of my friends lives in Boston... If I can wiggle my way up there you will certainly hear from me!

I am going with the Ideal Steel. I do have some concerns about the size but only after I put a regular insulated roof on my house. It may do great or it may be like trying to frame a house with a 10lbs sledgehammer. We shall see, most normal houses won’t have my concerns though and to be fair any non-cat stove would have the same issue. I think the OP should consider a IS as well. Better yet the PH If money allows!

13. coltbean

coltbean

Whats an IS and PH?

Loon and Canadian border VT like this.
  14. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

2 models of Woodstock stoves
    IS. Ideal Steel
    PH. Progress hybrid

Loon and snaple4 like this.
  15. snaple4

snaple4

Sorry, I wasn’t thinking even though you said you were not familiar with WS (Woodstock) stoves.

The PH (Progress Hybrid) is a beautiful stove made with natural stone, has a good burn rate (high and low), has side loading if you like that and a number of other great things. The cost is a lot bit less than what some of my local shops want for mainstream stoves.

The IS (Ideal Steel) is also a great looking stove (if you like the type of look), you can customize it a lot, it has good burn times, it is cheaper than the PH.

I can go through and list a bunch of other good things about the stoves.

Loon and coltbean like this.
  16. Rush Battle

Rush Battle

I have a Woodstock Ideal Steel in my shop with double wall for 12ft and then stainless insulated double wall for another 9ft. It burns really nicely, just wish it had fewer parts and fewer gaskets to maintain.

Loon likes this.