In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Stove for a tent

Discussion in 'Rocket Stoves & Rocket Mass Heaters' started by jesse sefcik, Dec 15, 2021.

1. jesse sefcik

jesse sefcik

Im on the hunt for a tent and stove setup for winter camping. Any suggestions? Id like the stove to through some good heat,,, im not to picky on brand but i want this to be a one tome purchase because i know they are not cheap

metalcuttr and Horkn like this.
  2. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

3. BrianK

BrianK

Tent stoves are different than home stoves. Even my Cubic Mini is too heavy to be used as a tent stove, unless it’s going to be a permanent setup like in a yurt. There are reputable dedicated tent stove manufacturers like Riley Stove Company, Four Dog Stoves and even ultralight titanium tent stoves from Pomoloy. An Amazon search will get you lots of hits on other tent stove options.

metalcuttr and brenndatomu like this.
  4. RGrant

RGrant

Every so often I go down this rabbit hole--> 22 Best Tent Stoves for Wood Burning in 2021
    There are some really neat designs. I hope you find one you like- and if you do, post some pics!

5. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

How big a tent? Are you backpacking, horse/quad camping or drive up camping? Makes a big difference on what kind of stove. I have a 12'X14'x5' side wall tent which we used for fall/winter, drive to camping. I have an old Elkhorn stove (no longer manufactured). It is a rectangular stove with 2 wings to enlarge the top. It is moderately large and heavy and put out a lot of heat. It could, and did, double as an extra cook surface to keep coffee and stew hot. It would not usually keep fire overnight (you need a very large firebox for that) but most tent stoves won't unless you stuff them full very late and get up very early. I will pull it out and take a few pictures. If you are looking for a stove for a larger tent for other than backpacking, then there are a bunch of suitable ones out there. Kwick Kamp has some nice stoves for sale. If you need a small, fairly light weight stove, then a small version of the famous Sheep Herder stove would work. If you want some ultra lite, tiny techno wood burner then I have no ideas. A lot of them would be no better than expensive toys I would guess.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2021
  6. firecracker_77

firecracker_77

I had this brand and sold it to nephew...wall tents are nice but very heavy.

www.davistent.com