In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

★★★☆☆ Stove Chow Wood Pellets (Review)

Discussion in 'Pellet Fuels' started by slvrblkk, Nov 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slvrblkk

slvrblkk

Stove Chow Wood Pellets results: FINAL RESULTS

Temp Average - 280-340 (on door thermometer)

Ash Volume - 16 ounces

Ash Weight – 2.35 ounces

Ash Percentage - .37%

Fines In Bag – less than 1/8 of a cup

Pellet Length Avg. – 1/4" – ¾”

Bag Weight – 40.2 lbs. (zero oz. left in hopper)

Notes:
    $239 a ton from Home Depot
    Next to no fines in the bag
    Small diameter pellets
    Developed half-dollar sized clinker
    Are these Energex Hardwoods???

I read a comment somewhere that this year’s Chows burn “hot as hell”. I’m not sure about that but these put out pretty decent heat with a moderate amount of dark, coarse, fluffy ash. The pellets are very dark in color and similar to the PTL’s that I burned last year but not quite as dark. The one thing I noticed was these pellets being a smaller diameter than I remember. I wonder if they changed the dies up at the factory??? The diameter looks the same as ‘Sets, Turman, etc. These are usually very abundant in our area so I know a lot of people probably burn these as their main pellet.

All in all I would consider these an average to maybe a tick above average pellet this year (at least the bags I have). Definitely a good “shoulder” pellet.

Recommend!

Disclaimer:as with everything....YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY....the reviews are just my opinion of them

IMAG0085.jpg IMAG0086.jpg IMAG0084.jpg IMAG0089.jpg IMAG0092.jpg

2. briansol

briansol

I burned about 1/2 ton of these through oct, and i was more than pleased with them. I got a bit of clinker action, but only when i ran the stove on low for extended periods. When i had it up to medium, it kept the pot pretty clean. Maybe that means something?
    For the price, I think this years batch of them was the bargain to have. I wish i bought more when they were available, but I was under the impression that they kinda sucked. Well, they didn't :)

3. ttdberg

ttdberg Pellet Pig

I bought 5 bags for testing this year. First time I ever tried them after reading countless reviews of them over the past few years. These must be one of the most disputed pellets out there. Anyway, they knocked my socks off which honestly I wasn't expecting. I must have gotten one of the best batches ever. Heat is superb and ash isn't too bad. I just picked up another 10 bags at HD but only time will tell if they perform as well as the original purchase. I suspect batch variance is likely the norm for these and I would be shocked if I bought more next year and got the same excellent results as the ones I got this year.

4. PoolguyinCT

PoolguyinCT

Chow has been getting the thumbs up for years, never had a chitty run.

Russell, RyansCab50 and jtakeman like this.
  5. PoolguyinCT

PoolguyinCT

I was "hot as hell" comment , granted i had a 40degree outside temp for a head start & i was giving "hot as hell" in a strictly big box comparison.

Chow is the red can Budweiser of pellets. Cheap, predictable,consistent & does the job.

Ray

6. Tullytown

Tullytown

Chows are the under dog fighting it's way up the food chain.. burned 2 tons last year along with Energex hardwoods [green bag/American/
    other than the different smells "when u open the bag or the smoke smell', they seem to be the same.
    prob the best pellets HD sells maybe? Presto logs may be better. Unless they get Blazers again which I highly doubt..
    managed to get 30 bags before they we're gone.

Russell and RyansCab50 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.