In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Storm prep

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Fireplace911, Jan 21, 2016.

?

Do you cover your wood with a tarp/etc or leave it exposed?

1. Yes, I cover it

78.4%
  2. No, I dont cover it

21.6%
  1. Fireplace911

Fireplace911

Living in NJ and preparing for the winter storm, I was wondering if anyone has special preparations they do getting ready for a few days of snow. For example, covering your wood with a tarp or bringing more than normal to the inside of the house.

2. S. Roche

S. Roche

Bring in all you think you'll need for the duration of the storm, and the aftermath. Aside from the usual items, water, milk etc., a couple of bottles of wine and a few candles have been known to help while being confined indoors.:)

3. bocefus78

bocefus78

^that
    Bring in all you have room for, or enough to get thru a week. 2+feet of snow is gonna suck to shovel thru to get to the stacks!

Stock up on batteries, flashlights, candles, water, food that doesn't need power to cook, or a method to cook with no power. Don't forget plenty of beer and birth control. Seriously. Storms like that have a way of making babies appear 9mos later :)

artc, Chvymn99, JustWood and 12 others like this.
  4. Shawn Curry

Shawn Curry

Last year after the winter storms and polar vortexes started, we had about 3' of snow on the ground here until the end of February. That made it very difficult to access my stacks, just at the time when I *really* started to need them. Figure out how you're going to get to the rest of your firewood. If that's going to require a shovel, I'd get as much as you can closer to the house, assuming it's not already nearby. If you've got equipment, make sure that's ready to go, and you've got extra gas.

5. Fireplace911

Fireplace911

haha, my wife is already pregnant so I'm safe there lmao

6. NYCountry

NYCountry

If you have a generator make sure it's ready to rock and roll. Make sure you have enough gas for it. Food, water, roof rake if you have one. Bring enough wood to last 3 days ..flashlights, batteries, candles,

7. colin.p

colin.p

No sir, you may wind up with triplets or quadruplets....:p:rofl: :lol:

8. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Did a little storm prepping tonight myself. Chimney cleaned, wood rack stocked up and put the plow on the Kubota :thumbs:
    I am ready for the weekend

9. Machria

Machria

Make sure you get Bread and Milk!!

10. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Just qualify what you mean by covering the wood for the storm. Most folks just do like we do. We top cover the wood and that is all so no preparations are needed if a storm comes. Actually, we cut in winter, split in spring and then stack the wood. Then wait until around December 1 and top cover the wood piles. The wood stays top covered until needed which is usually 3 years away or more.

I've never agreed with those who go out to cover the wood just before a storm. Most will also tend to cover the entire stack. We've never worried a bit about the sides of the stack. Sure, they get hit with rain or snow but the wood is not a sponge. 99% of the water runs off and what doesn't will dry really quick once the storm is past.

I do agree though that it isn't too much fun getting wood out from under snow. This was taken on Christmas day a few years ago. Most of the wood was covered with old galvanized roofing which is 4 times better than tarps.
    Christmas-2008b.JPG Christmas-2008d.JPG

11. Drvn4wood

Drvn4wood

Only things I really did other than normal were clear out a space in the carport for my truck, and snag 2 30 packs as a precaution..lol.. Other than that, everything else was in place..

12. papadave

papadave

Shed is right outside the door, so wood is already covered.:thumbs: I got fed up with the whole tarp thing several years ago.
    We always have plenty of food in the house. The one thing I've tried to do is stock up on water, but for some reason, my wife seems to thinks it's ok to use it up. :headbang:
    Obviously, we have the stove and can use that to cook on. Power goes out, we use candles.
    Go to bed early.

13. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Never get tired of pics of them snow capped wood stack pics, Dennis:thumbs:
    All but 1 face cord of Elm is top covered here, and wood by the basement door is a step and arm's reach away.... image.jpg

14. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Like the hinges Eric.

15. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Old tires from the mountain bike live on!:D

16. 1964 262 6

1964 262 6

i like that alot. if it said "Rubbermaid" on the side , it would cost big bucks!

17. Smokinpiney

Smokinpiney

Got a better pic of that "mini shed" Eric VW ? Looks like it gets the job done

papadave, Well Seasoned and Eric VW like this.
  18. Scotty Overkill

Scotty Overkill Administrator

we top cover the wood we plan on using in a season the spring before we use it......

in other words, I let it exposed for a year or two, then the spring before I use a particular section of my stacks, I cover them until they are used up....

just brought a facecord of wood in this evening, should last us a week or more. don't feel like dragging wood in during the storm, I plan on cutting and hauling wood off of the farm with the snowmobile......I made sure it was gassed, and ready to go last night!

Now I just hope we get some of that snow. The brunt of it will skirt just south of us. As of right now, local forecasters are saying 4 to 8 inches for our area. Just 30 miles south of us could see 20"!!! I hope it tracks north just a wee bit....;)

19. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

No special preps here, the pantry is usually stocked up enough.
    Probably check to make sure i have enough bread and milk and eggs....Not sure why....:rofl: :lol:
    I guess everyone makes french toast during a snow storm.:picard:

20. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator